Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First our loose gas cap warning would come on even though the gas cap was tight when the gas gauge was below 1/2 a tank. Then when I would fill up and reset warning it would stay off untill gas got low again and come back on. Now no loose gas cap warning but the MIL is now on and staying on. Any suggestions? I googeled and youtubed it with possible canister valve solenoid replacement but don't want to start buying and replacing parts I may not need. Thanks in advance. John

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Maybe this will help... Be sure to look at the attached pictures for clarity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe this will help... Be sure to look at the attached pictures for clarity.
bought a new gas cap from rock auto for $9 will give that a try

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
If at all possible, would you mind trying the spring-depressing trick on the existing gas cap's spring before replacing it with a new cap? Just curious if my trick was a fluke, or if that spring was the issue. You don't have to use a screwdriver or anything metal. The handle of a plastic fork or spoon would work. Or a wooden tongue depressor or popsicle stick.

FYI, since doing that screwdriver trick, I haven't had any more issues with the gas cap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If at all possible, would you mind trying the spring-depressing trick on the existing gas cap's spring before replacing it with a new cap? Just curious if my trick was a fluke, or if that spring was the issue. You don't have to use a screwdriver or anything metal. The handle of a plastic fork or spoon would work. Or a wooden tongue depressor or popsicle stick.

FYI, since doing that screwdriver trick, I haven't had any more issues with the gas cap.
did it last night new cap arrives friday will let you know if light goes out before then

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
did it last night new cap arrives friday will let you know if light goes out before then
Thanks for giving it a try, but it sounds like it didn't work for you. When I depressed the spring on my cap and screwed it back on, the warning light was immediately gone before I started the engine. It's possible that one of the other things I'd tried actually solved the issue, and that it took awhile for the problem to fully go resolve and it just happened to clear everything after depressing the spring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for giving it a try, but it sounds like it didn't work for you. When I depressed the spring on my cap and screwed it back on, the warning light was immediately gone before I started the engine. It's possible that one of the other things I'd tried actually solved the issue, and that it took awhile for the problem to fully go resolve and it just happened to clear everything after depressing the spring.
owners manual says malfucntion may clear in a few drives and light may go off Hoping it goes out I did fill the tank and tried the screwdriver freeing up the spring but MIL stays on hoping that it goes out but will replace gas cap when it arrives anyway. May be one of the valve solenoids failing. If it doesn't go out I'm going to go to Autozone and get them to scan it for fault codes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So today I got under the back of the car and right behind the muffler in the center of the car is the vent canister. Attached to the cannister is the vent control solenoid. Very easy to remove and mine doess not seal when tested so I'm pretty sure this is my problem. I have ordered this part off ammazon and will update this thread when it arrives and installed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts