Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I don't know whether I am suffering from paranoia or what.

Just got my MO back after the 7500 mile checkup and the shifter knob seems a bit loose, even wobbly, with more side to side motion than I can recall it having before bringing the car in for service.

Is this motion and looseness customary, or did the service department screw up something that wasn't broken in the first place? I feel like I've become fixated on this now and don't remember any movement at all laterally in the shifter knob at all.

Can someone else check theirs and let me know?

Thanks!

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Sorry, bud, 33k miles and its rock solid. Sometimes I even TRY to make it wiggle just for the heck of it and can't..

·
4,601 Posts
Yeah, you shouldn't have a loose knob... There's nothing but a clip holding it on. If it's not doing it's job, you can pull the knob straight up and off.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, maybe I need to qualify this a bit further.

The top of the shifter knob is secure. It seems that I'm able to move the bottom of the knob side to side a slight bit so that it touches the arm of the shifter itself and makes contact when moved from left to right. Is this normal? I need to check out another MO so I can see for myself.

·
4,601 Posts
No, it's not normal, nothing should move around. The aluminum part at the bottom is pushed up onto the shifter and can be pulled down and off to access the clip that holds it on. Nothing should feel loose or move, when it's assembled.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jaak

Thanks again for the reply!

I scheduled an appt. with the dealer tomorrow morning.
The service rep I talked to today agreed that it doesn't sound normal.

I asked if this could have been something that happened as a result of the 7500 mile checkup. He said probably not. I don't know why I started noticing this all of a sudden. Maybe it was delivered that way? Who knows.

I told the rep I want to check out some other MO's he has there 1st before the do anything to mine!

·
4,601 Posts
Hey, you're very welcome!

They may have to order a new one for you, if needed. The knob itself fits well on the shaft, the clip stops you from pulling it up and off and the aluminum part on the bottom of the knob covers the clip and makes it all look pretty.

The shifter is just a solid metal shaft, nothing inside...

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, this turned out just as I had expected. I saw the service rep and asked to check out the shifter knob on another Murano. We both sat in the car and tested it. No movement, nice and tight.

We go to my car and try the shifter knob. The rep says, I can't really tell any difference, seems good to me. Can't win with something this minor I suppose, although he did say they would check it out on the next mileage checkup.

The aluminum part on the bottom that covers the clip seems the most troublesome since that makes contact with the shifter itself if the kbob is jiggled from left to right or vice versa. I'll pack the inside with foam I suppose to tighten it up a bit.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, this turned out just as I had expected. I saw the service rep and asked to check out the shifter knob on another Murano. We both sat in the car and tested it. No movement, nice and tight.

We go to my car and try the shifter knob. The rep says, I can't really tell any difference, seems good to me. Can't win with something this minor I suppose, although he did say they would check it out on the next mileage checkup.

The aluminum part on the bottom that covers the clip seems the most troublesome since that makes contact with the shifter itself if the kbob is jiggled from left to right or vice versa. I'll pack the inside with foam I suppose to tighten it up a bit.

·
4,601 Posts
Hmm.. Well if you think it's OK, then you don't mind if I switch mine with yours, right? Since you won't notice, we'll both be happy then...

I guess he wouldn't go for that.

He just doesn't want to do the replacement.

Now the opposite extreme. I remember on my 6 month old '95 Taurus SE asking if one of the signal lens was supposed to be slighty cloudy compared to the other, when I had it in for an oil change.

When I picked up the car, I had two new signal lens on it.

I wish Ford Dealers sold Nissans....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts