Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, please help. My 2006 Murano is loosing coolant, there is no leak. I removed the 3 spark plugs in front and they are all black. What is the problem?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi everyone, please help. My 2006 Murano is loosing coolant, there is no leak. I removed the 3 spark plugs in front and they are all black. What is the problem?
Go to the auto parts store and rent a radiator pressure testing kit and use it to test the cooling system under pressure. If the system starts loosing pressure and you don't see any external leaks then you probably have a blown head gasket. You can also buy kits that test for chemical signatures of exhaust gases in the coolant. If your exhaust is white/smoky then that could also signify coolant is getting into the combustion chambers.

The "black" spark plugs could mean other problems like a rich air/fuel mixture and/or oil fouling. Can you post some pics? BTW...how many miles on your car?

·
Registered
28 Posts
If it leaks into the cylinder, you can usually smell the coolant from the exhaust. You may also see the coolant contamination into the oil if it leaks into other parts of the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go to the auto parts store and rent a radiator pressure testing kit and use it to test the cooling system under pressure. If the system starts loosing pressure and you don't see any external leaks then you probably have a blown head gasket. You can also buy kits that test for chemical signatures of exhaust gases in the coolant. If your exhaust is white/smoky then that could also signify coolant is getting into the combustion chambers.

The "black" spark plugs could mean other problems like a rich air/fuel mixture and/or oil fouling. Can you post some pics? BTW...how many miles on your car?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Could be as simple as a worn out radiator cap. I was losing coolant at a pretty fast rate. I knew it wasn’t a blown head gasket as there was no coolant in the oil when I changed it - ran as pure oil. Also, no white exhaust. Because it was a quick and cheap option, I got a new radiator cap from Amazon. Replaced the old one and kept an eye on coolant levels for the next several drive cycles. Sure enough, no more leak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
Jim C
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing