Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced loss of oil levels without noticeable leaks anywhere? I'm baffled as I recently saw the MIL/SES light come on and aftering pulling the OBD codes I got 0011 and 0442. With those general codes I checked the gas cap to make sure it was shut properly (it was), then I checked the engine oil level...the level was extremely low and the oil was very dark, but not opaque or sludgy. I immediately replaced the oil, it took 3 quarts to get it back to the correct level. After that the MIL/SES light went off. I checked everywhere for any possible leaks...nothing. I've been monitoring the levels for the past few days by checking it while the engine is cold first thing in the morning, no changes and the level is still the same. I've also montior my parking space(s) for signs of oil spots or leakage...nothing. The last change I had done was at Sears about 1,800 miles ago. I actually had a full maintenance package done...change all fluids, inspection, change belts, new tires (2), etc. I'm really starting to think that Sears didn't properly refill my oil reservoir after changing the oil, matter a fact I'm starting to think that they may have never changed the oil at all. If anyone has experienced anything like this please share your experience. Maybe this is a bigger problem than I'm thinking...

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I don't recall anyone ever reporting this problem except the people with a G-35 Coupe manual tranny starting in 2006. They have the same VQ engine and oil consumption issues. Only on the manual tranny over there for some reason. Other than that, if no billows of smoke suggesting burning, I would guess Sears screwed up. Easy enough, drive for a week and check the level, no drop means Sears was the culprit.

Bob1

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback bob1. The more I think about it I really feel that Sears effed up again! This is not the first time that I've experienced issues with their service, but like an idiot I keep going back because it's convenient for me. No more Sears service as they've proven themselves grossly incompetent in their mechanical service and maintenance, not to mention that they are a HUGE rip off on pricing also. Prime example...they wanted to charge me $800+ to change the front control arms/bushings, this was something that I did myself for $260 in parts and about 2 hrs of my own labor.

Warning to everyone!!!...DO NOT TRUST YOUR VEHICLES TO SEARS AUTO ALA MOANA SHOPPING CENTER!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply algolfer69. 1 qt. low just before your oil change is due is better than 3+ quarts low after only 1,800 miles. I'm going to continue monitoring the situation, but I strongly feel that Sears is at fault for not properly refilling my reservoir during my last oil change.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for your reply algolfer69. 1 qt. low just before your oil change is due is better than 3+ quarts low after only 1,800 miles. I'm going to continue monitoring the situation, but I strongly feel that Sears is at fault for not properly refilling my reservoir during my last oil change.
Yeah, your situation sounds like Sears screwed you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, your situation sounds like Sears screwed you.
Yup! I'm going to have to make it a habit to double check everything now whenever I take my vehicles in for servicing, no matter where I go. I normally do regular maintenance myself, but now that I live in an apartment building it's against the housing rules to do these things on property. The closest place for me to go and do it myself is 30 mins away at my parents place. Sucks, but oh well!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The 3.5s by Nissan/Ininfiti are known for oil burning. I'm a Maxima owner as well and there are countless threads on Maxima.org about this issue.

Oil loss - diagnosis from dealership - Maxima Forums
What is odd is that it was only certain 3.5 engines. My G-35 coupe burns no oil. The following years, either the 05 or 06, it was an issue again only for manual tranny. I had a Nissan Altima with the 3.5 and never had an issue with that or the Murano with oil.
Bob1

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
My MO burns some oil that was noticeable on the 4th year. Now, on 6th year, 76k miles I burn about 3/4 quart/ 5k miles--oil level kept on high line by next oil change. First 3 years no oil burn--no need to add oil between changes.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I've replaced a few VQ35s from all models including Muranos for oil consumption. Don't really know why this happens other than what an engineer told me. He said if you run these engines with low oil levels, it can damage the rings and lead to oil consumption. So keep an eye on your oil level especially after an oil change.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I've replaced a few VQ35s from all models including Muranos for oil consumption. Don't really know why this happens other than what an engineer told me. He said if you run these engines with low oil levels, it can damage the rings and lead to oil consumption. So keep an eye on your oil level especially after an oil change.
Would you say its normal to have some burning between oil changes? So, how much is considered normal consumption and how much is damaged rings consumption? When you changed these engines, was it still running or was it gone? How bad was it?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Every engine burns a small amount of oil, its just the nature of an internal combustion engine. Its how much it burns thats important. Im not sure on nissan but when i worked for GM they told us half a quart every 1000 miles was normal. Nissan doesn't like oil consumption specs, and to be honest they don't even really tell us how to check for it. The FSM shows a link to it but then just shows us an exploded view of the block and thats it.

All the engine's i've replaced due to oil consumption have still ran. Some smoked alot or made noise but overall still ran. When its really bad is when you first fire up the engine and hella blue smoke puffs out the exhaust or even when you rev it hard in neautral.

The way i look at it is the Mo oil capacity is 4.25 qts oil with filter change so if your burning oil at a rate of more than a quart every 1k miles your gonna run out of oil close to your next oil change. I would say no more than half a quart every 1200 miles is borderline imo.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
If you needed to add 3qts to bring it back to capacity, your engine has probably already experienced permanent damage and will continue to burn oil at an accelerated rate.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Its just good to hear from an experienced pro about oil consumption on our murano. And some oil burning is indeed normal to some level. I know that if you are pouring in 3 quarts between oil changes is an indication of something real bad is going on--my friends old jetta was like that but still ran. Thankfully my MO only eats up 3/4 of a quart for every 5k miles.

I am just trying to tie in the symptoms some folks report about engine knock to having low oil level at one time or another. Where they may have not checked their oil level for a while and its gone beyond the lower hash mark line. Which happened to me once and notice more constant knocking. I was saved by the smog check guy who told me I have a very low oil....sometimes we are too busy and forget to check our cars condition. Does not seem I have permanet damage cause the knock dissappeared after changing oil/filter.

Anyways, thanks turbizzy. BTW, when you say made noise its similar to engine knock even at idle correct?

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
This thread makes the point that it ALWAYS pays to check your oil level after a change - no matter WHO does it. Also, you need to learn what your typical oil consumption rate is and check periodically.

Some people feel that engines shouldn't burn oil at all - and they get spooked when they need to add oil at all.

I've driven cars that burned oil at various rates. Modern cars typically use a lot less than cars did 30 years ago. But I still don't worry unless oil consumption is more than a full quart every 1000 miles. After all, what are you gonna do about it if it's not leaking? just drive it and feed it oil.

If you pass whatever emission tests (if any) in your area, you're still good - it's really your decision. My 1983 280ZX turbo burns a quart every 1500 miles, and that's certainly no cause for alarm.

BTW - my record oil consumption was a '66 GTO that had been raced before I got it and the oil rings lost their temper via excessive heat. It burned a quart every 50 miles. Can you say "smokescreen"?...and I'm NOT kidding!

·
Registered
231 Posts
the 1 qt ever 1k miles being ok rule needs to go away. Maybe in the 50's it was the norm but, any engine designed in the last 30 years or so that is in good working order should not consume oil, not anything that can be measured with a dipstick anyway. I drive my cars fairly hard and even supercharged one and other than my current car none went through any oil and were always at the full line by the next oil change. My Accord had 235,000 miles and didn't consume any oil. On the other hand my Subaru consumed 1 qt about every 1k-1.2k since I purchased it with 44k miles. It now has 73k and just last week it went through a quart in 150 miles and started smoking. The motor is being rebuilt now.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts