Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced a loss of engine control? I was driving at @ 50 MPH then started to overtake the car in front of me. The engine seemed to stall, but after I pulled over, I found out the engine was still running, it just wouldn't go above idle. No matter how much I mashed the accelerator, the engine speed wouldn't change. I turned the engine off and sat there for @ 15 minutes. The car started on the first try, as usual, and then the engine was able to be controlled. The SES light was on and has been on every since. It sounds like the accelerator pedal position switch may be on the fritz, but this is a 2005 MO, so I was hoping it would last long before have maintenance issues. Anyway, does anyone have any ideas or has anyone experienced this type of issue?

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
This Problem.......

Has been posted on before, If I remember it was either the throttle sensor or controller. Maybe a search will find it. I am sure your dealer will know about it.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
As you will find out from reading the posts on this board, engine will go into failsafe mode (idle only) when the onboard computer detects any malfunction. A restart will normally reset the computer to get you where you want to go but you will need to take it in for full diagnosis and repair of the failed part.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Happened to me last night, went to idle, no acceleration, during a slow left turn. I pulled over (crawled), shut it off, re-started and it was alive . The Service Engine Soon light stayed on. Went to the dealer today, retrieved the code and it said Throttle Position Sensor malfunction. Not in stock, requires a second occurence for replacement anyway. Good thing is, you shut the engine off and when you re-start the computer re-sets and it's ok, at least for a while.

Marius
04 SL AWD white

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Out of curiosity, is it because they were out-of-stock on the Throttle Position Sensor that they said you need a second occurrence to initiate the replacement? Please correct me if I am wrong, but if it failed once aren't chances pretty good that it will fail again, and maybe this time fail when it is out of warranty?

Has anyone else experienced this?

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
mariusg said:
...Went to the dealer today, retrieved the code and it said Throttle Position Sensor malfunction. Not in stock, requires a second occurence for replacement anyway...
This is total BS. Go to another dealer, AND call Nissan to complain. There is no such thing as "two failures required" to replace a part.

I am with njjoe , if it failed once it will fail again and who knows, you may be in the middle of nowhere at midnight with a sick child and it will not reset this time to start.

Call them and demand replacement under warranty. When it happened to me, I drove my car from Vegas to my home, and then another week and half, almost two thousand miles after the light had come on. By the time I went to the dealer my light had actually turned itself off (It must have reset) but my dealer did not have any issues replacing the Throttle position sensor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. I'll head to the nearest Nissan dealer and have my throttle position sensor changed. I haven't contacted them yet, I've just read this post, but I'll let all know how it turned out. again, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You are right it is BS. They cleared the code and it happened again last night. SES light back on, same deal. Called them and they have the part on order, will schedule a time to have it done. I hope I don't get rear ended if it happens again in the middle of the street driving 50+mph and all of the sudden crawl and no power, meanwhile.

Marius

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
mariusg said:
...I hope I don't get rear ended if it happens again in the middle of the street driving 50+mph and all of the sudden crawl and no power, meanwhile.
Just be careful. I drove nearly 2,000 miles after the light came on and it did not die again (Well, now that I think back it did happen once more before they fixed it pulling out of a parking space). So be careful and plan ahead crossing intersections or turning into traffic.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
What terrible lies by the dealership. There is no such thing as "requires two breakdowns" before a part is replaced. A part malfunctions, it gets replaced, period!

What the dealership may have been talking about is the "multiple fault detection logic" many ECUs use to determine whether the (MIL) Service Engine Soon light comes on. By this it means that if a sensor sends out an erroneous signal that is out of spec, the ECU requires two or more of such occurances on the same trip (defined as instances between starting the engine) before illuminating the MIL. This prevents the occasional out of range sensor signal (which being an electronic part, is conceivable) from tripping the MIL unnecessarily.

However, once the MIL is lit, the dealer should have figured out what caused it and ordered the replacement part to repair your vehicle.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mariusg and Sha'ron Bruce, I'd be interested to know when you take your vehicles in for the repair if the dealership tells you it's time for you XX,XXX mile service (the mileage doesn't matter - they have a service schedule for everything) in which for a mere $300 they'll change your oil, rotate (not balance) your tires, and top off your windshield washer fluid. I hate dealerships. You go in for a repair and they "can't find anything wrong or can't reproduce the problem" but "oh by the way, since you're here, it's time for your XX,XXX mile screwing".

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
MichaelMurano said:
Mariusg and Sha'ron Bruce, I'd be interested to know when you take your vehicles in for the repair if the dealership tells you it's time for you XX,XXX mile service (the mileage doesn't matter - they have a service schedule for everything) in which for a mere $300 they'll change your oil, rotate (not balance) your tires, and top off your windshield washer fluid. I hate dealerships. You go in for a repair and they "can't find anything wrong or can't reproduce the problem" but "oh by the way, since you're here, it's time for your XX,XXX mile screwing".
I've got one better than that. Ever since I had my alt recall performed, NNA calls me every few months and leave messages telling me I am due to a XX,XXX mile service, and to call my local $tealership.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That took place 2 weeks ago when the first SES light came on and they found one of the Fuel/Air ration sensor defective. I got plowed for the 21,500 mile service ( $189). Yea, they still can not duplicate the driver door tick that drives me nuts, more since it got colder. I have to call on Nissan one of these days, the service I am getting at this dealership (where I bought the Mo) is going down the tubes, especially since the Service Manager got changed. Just terrible.

Marius

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hooray for Roseville Nissan!!! I called the service department at the nearest dealer, I use them for all my scheduled maintenance work. I explained what had happened and the only question I got from them was "When can you bring the car in?" He explained they would make room for me in the appointment book for the next day if I wanted. I explained that the SES light had already gone out and the reply I got was, "It would be wrong of us to take a chance for you to be out in the middle of nowhere and something went wrong, or if you were on the freeway and lost power. These California drivers would hit you for sure". Of course I agreed, scheduled an appointment for two days later and off I went! They replaced the throttle body, a sensor and a controller, all covered by warranty. They also checked to see if my car was affected by any recall maintenance! They even washed the car, and it was raining outside!!! They had expected to keep the car all day, but they called me at 1 P.M. to let me know the car was ready. I'm sure you can tell that I am very pleased with the service I received!!! The funny part is, I didn't even buy my car from them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh yeah, as I stated in my other post, I use Roseville Nissan for my scheduled maintenance. I've taken my car there twice before. Once for the 3,000 mile inspection/oil change etc. ($48) and the 7,500 mile inspection/tire rotation/oil change/brakes & fluids checks/etc. (@ $78). All-in-all, the service was great! I even requested a synthetic oil additive be added to the latest oil change and they did it (I paid for the additive) without any difference in the original maintenance quote. They provide the best service/customer service I've seen/heard of in a dealership!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts