Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
When I am turning my steering wheel when the car is not moving forward or backward as in parking, the steering wheel becomes very difficult to turn as if it has lost its power steering. This lasts for only a sec or so and then the power steering kicks back in. Anyone with a similar experience? I checked the fluid level and it's ok.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
This is a common, and I think, the most major problem with the Murano. Consumers Reports first pointed this out, and it has subsequently been confirmed by many Murano drivers.

The steering pump does not have enough capacity at low RPMs to deliver the boost needed to maintain continous power steering assist. I can imagine where this would be dangerous during a low speed evasive maneuver.

If you took it the dealer, the dealer would probably make up some BS saying its "speed sensitive steering" or something like that. The problem with that idea is that you want assist to decrease at high speeds, not low idle speeds!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
power steering

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I will bring it to the dealer's attention. They should replace the pump witha stronger model.

Thanks,
Allan

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Nissan should replace the pump with a stronger model but I do not think they will. What is the use of replacing one weak pump with another weak pump? Consumers Reports had the dealer replace the steering pump and they reported the problem still existed.

That said, I do enjoy the Murano's hefty steering in all other situations. It feels tight and sporty.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
I have the exact problem you guys are describing, and it almost cost me my life once... I pulled out to pass a car on the freeway(stand still going 10 km/h), and I got "out" fine.. but couldn't straighten out the car.. I almost side swipped the car beside me..

The deal won't even acknowledge the problem exists..

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
darrylburke said:
I have the exact problem you guys are describing, and it almost cost me my life once... I pulled out to pass a car on the freeway(stand still going 10 km/h), and I got "out" fine.. but couldn't straighten out the car.. I almost side swipped the car beside me..

The deal won't even acknowledge the problem exists..
I've had that happen to me too.

·
5,268 Posts
so let's do something about it...........question is what.........any suggestions...

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Print the thread and mail it to the CEO of Nissan.
Bob1

Jack, I'm reading your post down below and can say I have never had this problem but maybe this would be an excellent POLL question.

·
4,664 Posts
Hmmm... I wonder what's going on here... In 13 months, I've yet to experience it. Is it an idle speed setting?

·
4,664 Posts
Nope, recommended pressure for over a year...

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
jaak said:
Hmmm... I wonder what's going on here... In 13 months, I've yet to experience it. Is it an idle speed setting?
the only time I have seen the problem where:

at low speeds, and accelerating.
quick turns
usualy a "back and forth" (only once have I had it happen with turning just to one side)

VDC, and SWD lock to NOT make a difference.

more noticable in the colder weather..

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Same issue here... at low speeds (very low) and with quick turns of the steering wheel. I actually wish they would adress this. Its just not right.

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
i experienced the same thing.....

but couldnt make it happen every time (unfortunately)

the MO has "speed sensitive" steering assist, and im guessing that somehow its thinking you're moving a whole LOT faster than you are, thereby clutching out the power assist.....

i dont think there is a fix (yet?); its prolly a glitch that might not be easy to 100% address.......

i remember my prelude had 1 finger power steering (you could actually make the wheel trun full revo's. by throwing it with yer finger!) but would be VERY firm at speed....

of course that was many, many moons ago.........

·
Registered
20 Posts
We've had our Mo about a week now and i noticed the tire pressure is 48 psi. I just changed them to 33psi and the ride is not as harsh. I did'nt notice any hard steering. Now i read this and i'm a bit worried since my wife drives the Mo most of the time. I also fixed the driver side door noise (tick) using a business card size felt paper i got from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
onie said:
We've had our Mo about a week now and i noticed the tire pressure is 48 psi. I just changed them to 33psi and the ride is not as harsh. I did'nt notice any hard steering. Now i read this and i'm a bit worried since my wife drives the Mo most of the time. I also fixed the driver side door noise (tick) using a business card size felt paper i got from the dealer.
Where did you put the felt to eliminate the noise?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check window rattle thread for pics but mine is not sticking out and felt paper color matches the door panel.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
onie said:
Check window rattle thread for pics but mine is not sticking out and felt paper color matches the door panel.
So did you put the felt paper in the small slot between the top rear of the plastic panel and the door, or did you open the door up and use padded tape? I have taken my car to the dealer twice to deal with the door ticking - and twice they have said we need to order more parts - without even having done any work.

I think I'll try the padded tape method myself since I have lost confidence in the dealer (well I did way back even when I drove a 97 Maxima!).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did not open up the door panel. I'd probably screw up if i did. Pulled the door panel carefully, folded the felt paper and slide it in. We'll see if it's a permanent fix.

·
4,664 Posts
Good thing the Murano doesn't come with manual steering. Moving those wheels in a parking lot would be hell.

I guess I'm not surprised that this has happened, as it's got a fair bit of work to do. I've had other vehicle experience this so I know what it's like, but my MO's never done it...

Interesting... I still wonder what speed your engines at, when it occurs. It's possible a slightly higher idle speed would resolve it.

Let's look at what could occur. The wheels aren't small, so there's a lot to move. If your idle is down, the pump doesn't have as much to work with. And if you like get in and out of parking spots like someone sawing a log, back and forth, then it puts a high demand on it.

To properly judge what's occurring, can you folks give better detail on the circumstances? Like what are you doing, what did you just do, and where were the engine revs. I'd like to see if I can force mine to do it.

So far, nothing...

Then once I can, I want to know if this is normal driving conditions. I seem to remember that CR was doing something I'd never do in normal driving, to make this occur.

Oh and by the way, 50 lbs pressure in the tires is for shipping on the boat from Japan. Your dealer is supposed to reduce this to the correct pressure during prep. If they haven't, give 'em heck.. (And ask them what else they're supposed to do during prep that they might have not bothered with...)

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Dennis - you truly have a uniquely colored Murano! I have never actually seen a two tone before your post.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts