Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy a Nissan Murano and someone told me they had an article in consumer reports about lossing Power Steering at low speeds. I guess when you turn the wheel quick at low speeds the power steering pump can not keep up and you loss your power steering. The article also said that Nissan replaced the power steering pump and did not correct the problem.

Has anyone had this problem??

Thanks for any input.

Chris

·
Registered
202 Posts
Almost six months and 6500 miles into ownership, and no power steering problems for me.

Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
Power Steering Problem at Low Speeds

I have had this problem a couple of times at very low rpm....ie. pulling out of a parking space or making a sharp turns at low speeds. The steering gets sluggish but the power always comes back when the rpm picks up.

·
4,664 Posts
I've had that on other vehicles, but never felt it on the MO.

What kind of weird tests does CR come up with, anyway? In 10 months of watching Murano forums, I've yet to see anyone complain about it.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Oh man don't get me started on CR again...they should have stuck to toasters.

If the engine rpm takes a dip IE the engine misses or something, then it could happen. But if everything is in order, I don't see how it could. The power steering unit is specifically designed to provide more power at low speeds and taper off at higher speeds. And I would bet that the unit is used on other Nissans. So if the MO has this problem, so should others.

Thoughts?

·
4,664 Posts
Makes perfect sense to me.... I wonder how they make this happen. Do they slalom the vehicle at low speeds? Is this something a driver would ever do? Racing through a parking lot dodging pedestrians, shopping carts, orange cones and trees?

Yeah.... OK, sounds like a normal day to me..... I look at CR but take them with a large grain of salt, because they certainly have a scewed view of the world. I used them to look at overall quality of Nissan products vs. other manufacturers.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I know the exact problem CR is talking about. At idle speed, if you turn the steering wheel very quickly (over 3/4 turn), such as when parallel parking, I do get a cut in power assist. Its no big deal, its not a dramatic difference. But then I am a pretty big guy (6'2, 200lbs) so I don't really notice the difference. But for say the soccer mom, it might be a safety issue, so I do understand the point CR is trying to make. I think the power steering in the Murano is meant to be stiff for a sporty feel, so naturally the assist is less than your family minivan.

·
4,664 Posts
Hmmm... Interesting... I've never noticed that, and I was parallel parking today a few times. I'll have to watch for it.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Try turning the steering wheel as fast as you can at idle, lock to lock, and you will feel the sudden decrease in steering assist. Its not much really, but it was on both the Muranos I test drove.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey, Enforcer.
I have a toaster that CR said was bad, It has worked perfectly for years. The company that made the toaster just did not pay CR enough $$.

I have tried the rapid movement test on the MO's power steering, It does lose some assist when turning the wheel fast. (So does just about every other car made).
Just how often does the wheel have to be turned fast while parking?

Some race cars use rapid power assist systems that allow the driver to make very sudden wheel movements without losing any assist.
These are very expensive specialized parts, and are not practical in street driven cars.

I love the steering in the MO, it has assist, but not too much. It has a great "feel" to it.

·
4,664 Posts
Eric L. said:
Try turning the steering wheel as fast as you can at idle, lock to lock, and you will feel the sudden decrease in steering assist. Its not much really, but it was on both the Muranos I test drove.
Wow, I do that everyday when I drive! NOT! I agree, I've had other vehicles that have been worse. I guess CR really likes to pick weird things to whine about...

Why on earth would you be turning the steering wheel at idle, lock to lock.... I always have my wheels moving when I turn them. Even when parking.... I agree it's worst case conditions. Most stress on power steering with lowest engine RPM. DUH!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I'm with jaak on this. It doesn't make sense. Guess I have not experienced it. I just went out and turned it from lock to lock as fast as I could without effect. I also just flipped it back forth quickly. I also did it in the Z and my Cherokee. They all react the same, obvious slight increase in pressure as you change direction rapidly while flipping. In fact, the only difference is the Jeep is harder to turn. Maybe there is a problem with some, all I know is I don't have it. I would think that when the rpms dip it would happen though, like a missfire or maybe when the AC clutch kicks etc.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
I've had this problem a LOT, and I'm a 6"3 230 lbs guy.. it's not trivial.. it's not just at low speed/idle..

I almost hit another car cause of it..

I was "passing" (from behind, pulling left, and back to straight).. and the wheel went left.. but when I tried to return it to "Center" it "dropped" and the car kept turning left (not returning to center fast enough).. I had to seriously muslce it back (and I'm a big guy)

after repeated complaints and tests at the dealer, then can't "locate" the problem. but I can reproduce it almost 75% of the time.. I've noticed it['s worse in winter as well. .

I plan on buggin them more next winter, when the problem is more evident..

·
4,664 Posts
I second that...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have noticed a "reduction" in the power steering assist at low speeds. I call it a reduction because I can still steer no problem. I notice it most often when I back out of my driveway. When I stop backing up and go to move forward and turn the steering wheel quickly the reduction in assist is quit noticeable (but I can still steer the car). It has never occurred except at very low speed. I have never had this happen on any other car I drove. It is a very minor irritant (unless it is indicative of a more important problem) on an otherwise wonderful automobile. I will bring it up during my next visit to the dealer and see what they say.

·
101 Posts
Steering power loss

I've had my Murano for 3 weeks now and I have experienced this sudden loss of power steering. I was attempting to pull out of a parallel parking space quickly to get a jump on on-coming traffic. The steering lost power and I had to fight to turn out of the space, something I did not expect to happen. I almost hit the gas too early which would have caused me to hit the car parked in front of me. I sluggishly pulled out into traffic, then the power steering came back. I have not experienced this phenomena since. I'm sure if I bring it into the dealer they will say they cannot replicate the problem. I wonder what gives?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have this problem. It is as you described, when engine rpm is low and you are trying to make a sharp turn out of a parking stall.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts