Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that others have had this similar problem. Last night after driving on the highway for 45 minutes at ~80mph in 54 degree temps, I got off the highway, and my MO bucked a little, and then would not go over 5 mph. No matter how far I press the accelerator, the rpms would not move, and the car would just move slowly. I switched in and out of "D", and still just a slow move forward. There was no lurching as other people have described, just very slowly moving. So, I pulled over, turned off the car, then started it up 10 seconds later. Everything was then fine.

I called the dealership this morning, and they are going to look at it tomorrow. Though, once they learned it was running fine now, they really didn't want to see it. I am hoping that it threw a code when the problem happened, and they will capture that.

Anybody have any thoughts? I have a 140 mile roundtrip commute (almost all highway) each day, so I am guessing the problem will come back again. An it may happen in an unsafe place.

Thanks,
Andy

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Sounds like a sensor problem. Which sensor I am not sure, but to me, it sounds like its a bad mass air sensor or something. Better to take it to your dealer to check for codes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just heard back from the dealer. There was no code stored, and they could not reproduce the problem. The service manager told me that next time I have the problem I should drive directly to the dealership. That might be difficult since the car will only go 5 mph when the problem exists.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Interesting. I had a similar experience one time but I was lierally just backing out of the driveway. Shutting the vehicle off and restarting it cured it immediately.

I regularly drive one way highway trips of 20, 75, 140, and 210 miles (my current clients distances) and have never experienced it again.

I was kind of disturbing though when it did happen, no response from the gas pedal, no movement other than barely creeping forward, and no "gear" selection made a difference.

I attributed it at the time to a glitch of some kind in the CVT computer program (which just need to be "re-booted") to solve.

Your sounds much more persistent. Document, document, document each and every trip to the dealer so that there is a clear history of your reporting the problem.

It will definitely help when and if it ever causes a serious breakdown, regardless of your time or miles in the power train warranty.

Reading about yours, I may have to report "my issue" on the next service trip in just to be safe.

·
Matthew Lesko
102 Posts
I had the same problem when I first got the MO. Extended periods of driving (30-45 minutes) would cause the car to barely move from a stop, then all of a sudden it would lurch foward. When it did this, I would turn the car off then back on, and there would be no problems.

The dealership claimed that the car would go into limp mode. They told me that the problem went away when I restarted because it resets the computer.

They put in a new CVT at around 3k and I haven't had a problem since.

·
Matthew Lesko
102 Posts
The only symptom was the lack of response from a dead stop after continous driving.

Gas milage was good. No rise/fall in RPM's (other than normal CVT characteristics)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can see that no one has posted on this subject in a while, but i thought i'd put my two cents in. I have been experiencing this same problem for about two months now. For me, it happens in sit and go traffic, and I have recently found out how to make it happen. When sitting in traffic, if i let the car coast to a stop without using the brake, this will happen. Turning the car off and back on again fixes it immediately. I crank the gas and get nothing for a few seconds, and then it takes off. Since figuring this out, I now use the brake and the problem does not show. Will be getting this looked at soon.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
LouisJ33 said:
I can see that no one has posted on this subject in a while, but i thought i'd put my two cents in. I have been experiencing this same problem for about two months now. For me, it happens in sit and go traffic, and I have recently found out how to make it happen. When sitting in traffic, if i let the car coast to a stop without using the brake, this will happen. Turning the car off and back on again fixes it immediately. I crank the gas and get nothing for a few seconds, and then it takes off. Since figuring this out, I now use the brake and the problem does not show. Will be getting this looked at soon.
That is an excellent diagnosis on conditions that cause the problem. Good luck getting it repaired, and please let us know how it goes.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Man That is clever

Eric L. said:

That is an excellent diagnosis on conditions that cause the problem. Good luck getting it repaired, and please let us know how it goes.
Software will fly you into the trees if you let it. You should send a email to Nissan and suggest they send you A $500 Courtesy Reward.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
LouisJ33-

What year is your MO?

I was hoping this problem had been solved.

-njjoe

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
njjoe said:
LouisJ33-

What year is your MO?

I was hoping this problem had been solved.

-njjoe
I think the CVT software is design by Microsoft (aka Bill gates).....
Have you ever heard Microsoft admits that there is this thing call: Blue Screen of Death :4:

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Talk about.... I'm running Win XP Pro... pretty stable I might add. The other day I select Sound Recorder and pressed "record" and BLAM computer rebooted instantly. I did it again and the same thing happened.

Slight worse than the blue screen of death. This was the black screen of death.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay, I have one for you. It sounds a lot like what you are describing. I have a 2004 Murano. I love it, but lately I have had an issue arise that the two dealerships I took it to can neither reproduce or diagnose. I'll be driving along and the accelerator will just fail. I mean, I can shift it into neutral and rev it up, but when I put into gear (any gear) the accelerator will not function other than going about 5 MPH. One service guy guessed it may be the lockout mechanism. Someone else mentioned it could possibly be the valve body on the transmission. It doesn't cause any warning light to come on and the 8-10 times it has occured it has spontaneously corrected after anywhere from 5-30 minutes. It occurs while driving and has happened at no consistent time of the driving day. Any suggestions would be helpful. Please feel free to email me directly as well (john.croushornus.army.mil).

The best guess I have heard so far is it is the Throtel Position Sensor.

-john:(

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Sounds like it is the transmission that goes into failsafe mode. Something similar to what you are describing happened to me and it was the throttle position sensor, but the Check Engine Light had come on and there was a code. Also, I don't think I could rev the engine up and an engine restart immediately let me drive normally. If an engine restart does not reset yours, my guess is transmission overheating, hence it needs a few minutes to cool down.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
croushorn said:
Okay, I have one for you. It sounds a lot like what you are describing. I have a 2004 Murano. I love it, but lately I have had an issue arise that the two dealerships I took it to can neither reproduce or diagnose. I'll be driving along and the accelerator will just fail. I mean, I can shift it into neutral and rev it up, but when I put into gear (any gear) the accelerator will not function other than going about 5 MPH. One service guy guessed it may be the lockout mechanism. Someone else mentioned it could possibly be the valve body on the transmission. It doesn't cause any warning light to come on and the 8-10 times it has occured it has spontaneously corrected after anywhere from 5-30 minutes. It occurs while driving and has happened at no consistent time of the driving day. Any suggestions would be helpful. Please feel free to email me directly as well (john.croushornus.army.mil).

The best guess I have heard so far is it is the Throtel Position Sensor.

-john:(
You nailed it. Electronic throttle failure. Have the dealership pull the code and replace the sensor.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Eric L. said:
...Have the dealership pull the code and replace the sensor.
He said there was no warning light....Do you think there would be a code without the light?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
zebelkhan said:

He said there was no warning light....Do you think there would be a code without the light?
Sometimes the ECU stores a code without the light. Or the LED for the light might be busted! One way to check is to see if the SES light comes on briefly as you are starting the car (it should every time).

My dealer said they pulled a code for "small evap leak" from my Murano on multiple occassions, even though no check engine light. Of course they never did anything to look into it, just reset the code.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts