Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else get really loud wind noise when on the highway and driving with the sunroof tilted? It makes my sunroof virtually unuseable. I think it's because of my factory roof rail crossbars. I had to have the dealer guys put it on when we bought the car and the salesman took it off one car and put it on ours. I don't think they did it right.

Does anyone else have the roof railings and have the same problem??

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
pk7683-

The wind noise is a problem common to all Muranos.

The noise can be reduced by not fully opening the sunroof. When looking at the sunroof slide switch you will see five marks representing the five open positions. If you use the fourth mark the buffeting will be significantly less than the fully opened position.

This is also mentioned in the Owners Manual at the end of the sunroof section.

-njjoe

·
Registered
828 Posts
I think he is refering to tilted not open so the marks do not come into play.

"Does anyone else get really loud wind noise when on the highway and driving with the sunroof tilted? "

Anyway I have the sunroof deflector and it seems to me that with it, tilted is noisey. While opening is quiter.

·
Registered
278 Posts
No cross bars, but...I've had the same complaint. Since I mostly drive on the highway the noise made the sunroof pretty much unusable as far as I am concerned. I recently removed my wind deflector for a good cleaning and thought I would leave it off until springtime when I could Zaino.

I noticed that it's a lot quieter now, especially when tilted, but also seems to be more quiet when slid open. The view is also enlarged with the deflector gone.

I'm pretty sure I'll be leaving it off in the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies. So in actuality the wind deflector really is the wind noisemaker huh?!?

I wonder what the real use is for the wind deflector?

·
Registered
286 Posts
pk7683 said:
Thanks for all the replies. So in actuality the wind deflector really is the wind noisemaker huh?!?

I wonder what the real use is for the wind deflector?
is a wind deflector not a wind noise reducer or somekind of a exhaust pipe ,it help prevent the wind to come right thru and slam the drivers face while driving.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
No argument, just an observation.

When I first got the Murano, I noticed that I could not run Hwy Speeds with the sunroof fully opened*.
The noise and wind buffering were atrocious.
So Installed the Wind Deflector (What is the problem with understanding what the wind deflector does....it deflects wind ;))
Much better now.
I refuse to accept that the wind deflector causes noise. Not on my car.

*Of course the sunroof on most Muranos doesn't open fully at all. Probably because of the wind buffering problem. There are pictures of the Sunroof being fully open and some people here have claimed that their SR opens fully. But mine, and many if not most, when fully open are about 4" from being FULLY open.
Pisses me off.
When I drove those "poorly engineered" American cars we had no such thing.
I never tested it when test driving the car, because I had never heard of such a faux paux.
Nissan should be ashamed of themselves.

Homer

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
My MO came with the Wind Deflector and crossbars, and I noticed that the sunroof was quite noisy in the "tilted" mode as well. I tested by taking off the wind deflector. The noise in the "tilted" mode was much quieter with it off, but when the sunroof was opened (in any position) it was noisier and had more wind.

I drove with it off for a few days, but I decided to put it back on. Normally I have it completely closed or fully opened (well, as far as it will let me go) so I'd rather have it quiet in the open position.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the realization is that the wind deflector helps keep noise down when the sunroof is opened. OK

The wind deflector doesn't keep noise down when the sunroof is tilted. It may make more noise than if it wasn't there, but I guess it's just a poorly designed accesory that doesn't solve both problems.

Mine still however makes way too much noise to have open or tilted. I may try taking off my roof rail crossbars and see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
I wonder if your wind deflector is simply not installed properly? Open up the sunroof and check out the clips securing the deflector. Make sure they're tight and that the deflector is fitted firmly to the roof.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Got to be those roof rails.

The wind deflector helps but all-in-all I don't think the sunroof makes that much noise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts