Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if it's jsut me.. (I've never had it REALLY low on gas..)

I know that when the low fuel light goes on , there is no "warning" displayed on the center console.. I would have thought that this would have been one of the things that happened.. hell they put a "change oil" warning and a beep.. why not a "low fuel warning"??????

·
Registered
145 Posts
I agree. i have run the gas tank very low. When the warning light comes on and you hit the fuel econ button it will stay on until you hit it again. I have run it so low that the DTE had a * instead of miles. I drove one time for 20 miles with the * symbol on. I don't think the DTE is very accurate if i was able to drive so far, I was glad that I didn't get stuck. When I filled up it only took 19.8 gals which tells me that teh fuel gauge and DTE are not based on 21 gals but 19 or 20.

·
Registered
487 Posts
The DTE tries to make a best guess. One time, I had it say 16 miles remaining while cruising on the highway only to have it shoot down to 2 miles remaining when I slowed to a stop at my exit. I drove the remaining 2 or 3 miles to my gas station with it saying "1 mile remaining"

When the light comes on... fill up. You've only really got about 3 or so gallons in there with the light on. I think!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I have had the DTE reading go to * as well. I rely more on the fuel guage and estimating I have around 2.5 gallons left when the light comes on. Seeing how the worse mileage I can possibly get is probably 15mpg, I calculate that I have to fillup within 30 miles.

However, its not too great for the fuel pump to run the gas tank too low. It actually uses gasoline as both a lubricant and a coolant, and an empty tank makes the pump work harder, and hotter.

It would be neat if we had an audible warning though. The first time the fuel light came on, it was pretty hard to see, since its the same color as the color of the guage cluster (yellow). Nissan should have made the light a different color (maybe red or blue) so stands out more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts