Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experienced this noise when driving steady on average speeds - rpm's drop so low that it seems like engine is lagging behind and this low vibration noise comes apparent? If you shift in manual shift mode - then rpm's go up slightly and vibration/noise is gone accordingly.
I've read about it in one review and was wondering if those of you who already put some hwy miles can share their experience? Is this really noticeable bug or is an exaggerated non issue?

·
Registered
132 Posts
V6 engines are inherently out of balance, so you will get vibration at low RPM. The CVT is setup to get you the best gas mileage possible, so with minimal throttle input and speeds under 45mph, my car usually keeps the RPM at 1,000. If you drive around with all the windows closed and the radio off, it would probably be a bit annoying. I don't really notice it with music on, and I think it's worthwhile for the gas savings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have same problem with my 2017 SL. Wish there was a sport mode switch so the rpms would stay higher even though it would use more gas. Small price to pay.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I wonder why more people have't complained about this 1000 RPM vibration... It's really annoying! And it only happens when driving should be the most relaxed (which makes it even more noticeable and annoying...) It happens around 20-40 MPH when cruising on a level stretch of road at a constant rate of speed. The moment I even lightly touch the accelerator pedal the RPMs raise a couple of hundred and the vibration instantly goes away. The same also happens if I move the shifter over to manual mode (which raises the RPMs a couple of hundred.)

A sport mode button, or at least an option to boost the RPMs a couple of hundred would make me very happy! I doubt the MPG hit would be significant, and would be worth it for peace of mind... The vibration is also kind of embarrassing when I have passengers, it shouldn't be happening in a vehicle of this caliber/price range... It's hard to believe that this problem still persists for some of us after 5 years of production... This would seem to me to fall under NVM (noise, vibration, harshness).

I've done extensive research via Google, and have only uncovered a relatively small number of threads complaining. And non of the original posters ever came back to update on whether they found a solution... Maybe it eventually went away, or they just decided to live with it (or traded it in...) I sure wish they had updated their threads...

It makes me wonder if maybe it's only a limited number of 3rd gens that have this vibration issue. It has me thinking that maybe it's due to something being loose, or there's an bushing missing or improperly installed somewhere... Maybe it's something with the way the exhaust system was installed? I keep meaning to crawl under mine and meticulously check all the exhaust mounting brackets, and the engine and transmission connections to the frame.

·
Registered
398 Posts
My 2017 has done it since day 1. I had started a thread a while ago about it and also participated in probably another 2 - 3 more threads talking about this exact same situation.

I spoke to a service tech at Nissan and he said he us very well aware of the situation and that this is how the vehicle is meant to operate. He reassured me that all Muranos do it and nothing is wrong with mine but there also isn't a "fix" for it.

Mine still does it and I haven't seen any negative effects to the engine / transmission...... yet.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I should also mention that one of the things I wonder about is the electronically controlled engine mount. It comes into play @ 900 RPMs. It's softens below 900 RPMs to alleviate vibration at idle, then hardens above 900 RPMs to avoid vibration at driving speeds. 900 RPMs is very close the the 1000 RPMs that vibration occurs... There's an OBD2 PID for it, but I haven't been able to successfully monitor it yet...

·
Registered
253 Posts
My 2017 has done it since day 1. I had started a thread a while ago about it and also participated in probably another 2 - 3 more threads talking about this exact same situation.

I spoke to a service tech at Nissan and he said he us very well aware of the situation and that this is how the vehicle is meant to operate. He reassured me that all Muranos do it and nothing is wrong with mine but there also isn't a "fix" for it.

Mine still does it and I haven't seen any negative effects to the engine / transmission...... yet.
You mentioned awhile ago that your 1000 RPM vibration went away when you disabled engine braking via the CVTz50 app -- I guess it really didn't do away?

I tried disabling engine braking, it did't help mine...

·
Registered
2 Posts
These responces are all very interesting. I was hoping for that "something loose" idea was correct, but it sounds like that is not the case.
Not sure if it is comforting to know that I am not complaining about "nothing" or if it is discouraging to find that there seems to be no solution.
Truth is, I really like the car in every other way and come March when my lease is up I really would like to get another one. Just not sure I want to put up with this annoyance for another three years.
I hope that someone at Nissan is reading this forum and puts some effort into fixing it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
You mentioned awhile ago that your 1000 RPM vibration went away when you disabled engine braking via the CVTz50 app -- I guess it really didn't do away?

I tried disabling engine braking, it did't help mine...
Yup I did disable the engine braking and thought it went away but has since come back. I'm not sure if it was a placebo effect or if disconnecting my battery while cleaning reset something. It's back now though.

Also I find that my Murano drives like a different car on some days. Some days it's super smooth and quiet. Other days it vibrates at idle and sound a bit harsher. Not sure what causes that but this is also when the 1000k rpm is more pronounced.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Disconnecting the battery may have merit. It's something I have considered doing. My understanding is it will reset the "learned" engine and transmission performance values.

The problem is if it does work, it's only temporary, and it may affect gas mileage, etc.

I don't recall being annoyed by the 1000 RPM vibration when my 2019 was new. I think it wasn't until several weeks later that I noticed it...

Hmmm...

·
Registered
703 Posts
One of the many things I don't like vs previous gen. I wrote a few posts about this. It only happens when CVT temp is above+/- 60°F. In the winter, the RPM stays at 2,000 until the CVT warms up which I find too high. +/-1,200 would be perfect for all conditions IMO. Disabling engine braking via CVTz50 app didn't work for me either. Gotta wait for 4th gen to see if Nissan will fine tune their CVT...

·
Registered
398 Posts
One of the many things I don't like vs previous gen. I wrote a few posts about this. It only happens when CVT temp is above+/- 60°F. In the winter, the RPM stays at 2,000 until the CVT warms up which I find too high. +/-1,200 would be perfect for all conditions IMO. Disabling engine braking via CVTz50 app didn't work for me either. Gotta wait for 4th gen to see if Nissan will fine tune their CVT...
Definately wont be a 4th Gen Murano in my family...

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
I'm wondering if the "vibration" felt at low RPM is the torque converter locking up as designed, and when that engages a direct mechanical connection to the engine, the driver feels some of the engine's ignition pulses. That could be perceived as vibration, but it would be a result of almost lugging the engine. Could something like that be going on?

Side comments.....

I've seen the move to manufacturers designing engines for low RPM torque and operating them at very low engine speeds on the highway. My Jeep with the 5.7L V8 runs at about 1200-1500 RPM at 75 MPH, which seems awfully low. Of course, they do it for gas mileage, and that V8 has great grunt at low RPM as it's designed to. I don't recall what RPM my 07 Murano ran at freeway speed.

I'm somewhat more comfortable with my BMW 328 which runs at 2700 RPM at 80 MPH, which is right in its power curve...but it's not designed for low end torque, more for a power curve that runs about 2500-5000 RPM. My 280ZX turbo has no power below 2500 RPM, but comes on hard at 3000 RPM. Different engines for different times.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've owned a Murano since it was first introduced, so I'm very familiar with its CVT behavior...

This third gen behavior happens at speeds up 40-45 MPH. I also monitor it via the CVTz50 app, so I can see when torque converter lockup occurs, IMO it has nothing to due with CVT torque converter lockup...

This is TCM programming to provide the best possible MPG in my opinion...

·
Registered
253 Posts
And, seeing there aren't a LOT of people complaining about this 1000 RPM vibration, I feel it may be something, somewhere, during the assembly process that's causing it for a handful of owners... The 1000 RPMs natural harmonics aren't being dampened for some Murano owners due to something that may occur rarely during assembly... (again, IMHO based on many hours of research...)

·
Registered
398 Posts
I wonder if it has anything to do with this electronically adjustable engine mount stiffening up too much at that RPM.

If that even makes sense...

·
Registered
253 Posts
I mentioned several posts back regarding the electronically controlled engine mount.

My suspicion would be that it wasn't stiffing up when it should at 1000 RPM, but I guess it could be the other way around too...

I think it's a possibility it's the active engine mount seeing it's either OFF or ON @ 950 RPM, which is super close to where we feel a hear the 1000 RPM vibration issue...

It should be OFF to lesson the vibrations at idle, and ON when driving (at least that's my understanding from the FSM...)

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm wondering if the "vibration" felt at low RPM is the torque converter locking up as designed, and when that engages a direct mechanical connection to the engine, the driver feels some of the engine's ignition pulses. That could be perceived as vibration, but it would be a result of almost lugging the engine. Could something like that be going on?

Side comments.....

I've seen the move to manufacturers designing engines for low RPM torque and operating them at very low engine speeds on the highway. My Jeep with the 5.7L V8 runs at about 1200-1500 RPM at 75 MPH, which seems awfully low. Of course, they do it for gas mileage, and that V8 has great grunt at low RPM as it's designed to. I don't recall what RPM my 07 Murano ran at freeway speed.

I'm somewhat more comfortable with my BMW 328 which runs at 2700 RPM at 80 MPH, which is right in its power curve...but it's not designed for low end torque, more for a power curve that runs about 2500-5000 RPM. My 280ZX turbo has no power below 2500 RPM, but comes on hard at 3000 RPM. Different engines for different times.

Thats what I thought was the agreed upon cause of the rumble, from reading older threads.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thats what I thought was the agreed upon cause of the rumble, from reading older threads.
The torque converter lockup (and unlock) is a moment in time and occurs ONCE around 15-20 MPH, both when passing 15-20 MPH (lockup) when accelerating, and then again (unlocks) when slowing down below 15-20 MPH...

The problem I and a others (few it seems) are talking about is something that occurs during speeds between 20-45 or so MPH, AND ONLY occurs when the RPMs drop to 1000 RPM during no load cruising on flat and level ground. A slight touch of the throttle, or moving the shifter over to manual mode, raises the RPMs a hundred or two and the vibration goes immediately goes away.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
The torque converter lockup (and unlock) is a moment in time and occurs ONCE around 15-20 MPH, both when passing 15-20 MPH (lockup) when accelerating, and then again (unlocks) when slowing down below 15-20 MPH...

The problem I and a others (few it seems) are talking about is something that occurs during speeds between 20-45 or so MPH, AND ONLY occurs when the RPMs drop to 1000 RPM during no load cruising on flat and level ground. A slight touch of the throttle, or moving the shifter over to manual mode, raises the RPMs a hundred or two and the vibration goes immediately goes away.
...Either of which would unlock the torque converter, I believe.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts