Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
My understanding is the the torque converter lockup is mainly for better gas mileage (less slippage), and the unlock allows enough slippage so that you can come to a stop (like pressing on the clutch pedal on a manual transmission.) It doesn't need to unlock for a CVT to change gear ratios due to its inherent design. Perhaps it would need to unlock for conventional automatic transmission gear changes?

If what you say were true, it would have to remain unlocked all the time due to the CVT continuously changing gear ratios...

I monitor the torque converter lockup/unlock via the CVTz50 app, and it supports my understanding.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I should also mention that the 1000 RPM vibration will occur continuously as long as I'm not acceleration or starting to climb a hill, at which point the RPMs increase a few hundred due to the increased load, and the vibration stops. My 2003 would only drop to around 1200 under the same circumstance if I remember correctly...

The 1000 RPM mode is just to achieve the best possible gas mileage possible when cruising at a constant speed on a level road IMO. And in my case (and very few others it seems...) it's not being damped properly.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
My understanding is the the torque converter lockup is mainly for better gas mileage (less slippage), and the unlock allows enough slippage so that you can come to a stop (like pressing on the clutch pedal on a manual transmission.) It doesn't need to unlock for a CVT to change gear ratios due to its inherent design. Perhaps it would need to unlock for conventional automatic transmission gear changes?

If what you say were true, it would have to remain unlocked all the time due to the CVT continuously changing gear ratios...

I monitor the torque converter lockup/unlock via the CVTz50 app, and it supports my understanding.
That actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks for adding some good info!

·
Registered
253 Posts
This Car&Driver article mentions the 1000 RPM exhaust booming that I experience. It's the only article that I can find that mention of it... And only one of their drivers. It seems most people are not sensitive to this low frequency sound, which is probably why the problem has never been addressed since it first appeared in the 2015 Murano...

It's a shame that Nissan doesn't offer a CVT programming change to address this problem for customers that are particularly annoyed by it. I'd be more than willing to sacrifice a bit of gas mileage, I don't think the impact would be noticeable... It's not so much a noise, but a VERY low frequency booming sound that is felt by my eardrums more than heard. My Murano is otherwise nice and quiet inside, which makes the booming that much more noticeable and annoying...

·
Registered
80 Posts
This Car&Driver article mentions the 1000 RPM exhaust booming that I experience. It's the only article that I can find that mention of it... And only one of their drivers. It seems most people are not sensitive to this low frequency sound, which is probably why the problem has never been addressed since it first appeared in the 2015 Murano...

View attachment 50798

It's a shame that Nissan doesn't offer a CVT programming change to address this problem for customers that are particularly annoyed by it. I'd be more than willing to sacrifice a bit of gas mileage, I don't think the impact would be noticeable... It's not so much a noise, but a VERY low frequency booming sound that is felt by my eardrums more than heard. My Murano is otherwise nice and quiet inside, which makes the booming that much more noticeable and annoying...

The impact to MPG may be more noticeable than you think. Compared to the 2nd generation, which had no such set up, the 3rd gets significantly better MPG. Also, I've found that by driving purposely in that range on shorter trips it does increase my MPG a lot. Mine doesn't reverberate intolerably, if at all between 30-40, it's more noticeable for me around 25-30. (lots of 30mph roads). If I tick it up just a tad the reverberation goes away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
brand new to Murano (bought a 16 SV few days ago) and new to the forum. I noticed this too and the car I traded in for it (2009 Dodge Journey with AWD) did the same as the Murano with that noise. It's nothing new to me but it's seems to not just be a Nissan thing. I think more and more brands have this same issue. Either way really enjoying the Murano despite the small noise at 1000 rpm.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yeah I agree. Had a Durango RT rental and it also made this booming sound at low RPM. It's just that the throttle on that car was much more responsive so I was able to get rid of it by just oh so slightly pressing down a little bit on the gas.

·
Registered
80 Posts
brand new to Murano (bought a 16 SV few days ago) and new to the forum. I noticed this too and the car I traded in for it (2009 Dodge Journey with AWD) did the same as the Murano with that noise. It's nothing new to me but it's seems to not just be a Nissan thing. I think more and more brands have this same issue. Either way really enjoying the Murano despite the small noise at 1000 rpm.
Its akin to a regular automatic transmission seeking and staying at a lower gear for few economy, so I'm not surprised you've felt it in other vehicles.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts