Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Probably very stupid question.
What is the normal rpm by the cold engine after start?

I do not know, is it ok or not:

At the morning, when I start MO (doesn't meter is it cold like -15 celcius, or warm around 25 celcius) the car starts after 2-3 spins, and the rpm's jump to 1000-1100. After just a second, they drop to first bar above 0 (330 rpm's?).

Doesn't metter, do I turn on lights, audio, ac.

Is it ok?

In my pervious car, when the engine was cold, it was running up to 1000 rpm's, and remain like this until it was warm enought.
After that, the normal rpm-s was between 500-750 rpm's.
It was 2.5 V6 engine in Mazda (manual transs.)

Is it totaly ok, or should I worry :)

Best regards

Matik

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
It's probably OK.

Interpretation - There is no reason to believe that the Tachometer is a linear device, especially at either extreme end of it's range.
I look at the "first bar" (which is a dark bar, meaning that it represents the half way point between the two major points 0/1000) and I see 500 RPM not 330.

My car starts at what I would call 1100 RPM, within seconds is at <> 650 RPM and may go as low as <> 550 RPM.

Lights, AC, etc does not seem to make a difference.

So bottom line, is that the VQ engine idles very smoothly and very well at a quite low RPM.

Homer

·
5,244 Posts
My experience is similar to Homer's.

matik,
are you sure your engine is running 330 rpm? It seems very low. You probably would feel it if it really was that low.

It the engine starts OK, runs smoothly I would not be worry about it. Most likely your tacho is slightly off

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank's!

This is what I thought. The car does not seems to have low power, and it's run smoothly. The only thing was, that I was just confused by the indicator...

Matik

·
Registered
92 Posts
Wow, a forum thread the way it was meant to be! One guy asks a question, gets a couple answers, and happily thanks everybody to end the thread. How in the world did this not escalade into 10 or 12 different topics? Wait, I guess theres still plenty of time! Just kiddin guys, keep all the good info coming. Seems like no matter how long a thread gets, I still end up reading all of it!

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Warm idle speeds seconds after starting a cold engine? That doesn't seem normal to me. For a warm start (engine turned off for only a couple hours) then yeah, it seems normal. But for a cold start? Never heard of this happening.

If left to just idle in Park, my Murano (started in my garage, temperature of maybe 50F) will idle at ~1000-1100 RPM for quite some time (a few minutes )before dropping down to the normal 500-700 rpm idle speed. This is on a cold start (i.e. first start in the morning).

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
CZESC MATIK!!!! i would just like to say that i have the same experience as eric. my engine will idle at 1000-1100 rpm for at least 5-10 min before the idle speed decreases. it's strange because a porshce cayanne S i once drove would have the rpms go up to about 1500 at initial start up and then they just go down within seconds. the engine to me sounds really cool when this happens and i've had it happen a few times with the murano(pretty cold days)

matik- i'm glad the murano has interest in poland especially with it's insainly high price tag there. Zycze ci duzo szczescia z pieknim samochodem!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Czesc Nissanlove! :)

Well, the MO's are not so popular in Poland exactly because of the price). My was transfered from US.

I love the car, my wife loves this car, but recently, I'm getting a little nervous because of it.

First of all, there is problem with parts in Poland for it. Even (as they told me in service) to get a new pads and wheel brakes, I will probably need to get them from US :(

Second of all, since we get back to Poland (when in US there was over a half year NO PROBLEMS with the car), it start breaking up.

First problem was the alternator (recall issue).
But now, I'm getting very nervous, because the alternator was replaced, and since this time, I have this very bad feeling that something is not ok.

Why? Maybe this is just a coincidence, but this "low" RPM issue, I'm expieriencing is because of this "swap".
Second problem is, that after they replace alternator, my AC was wornkig for a short time, and now is not working at all!

After turning on AC, the cooling fan starts to work, RPM's are going "a little" higher.
The pressure in the system seems to be ok (checked at the service) but the compressor is not starting at all!

I know that I'm driving fast (since in Europe as you probably know, you candrive faster then in US, without havy confilict with a law), so the speed s aroung 100-120 mph, are very often on my tacho, and probably, the car will not handle it for a ong time.
Also, our "very nice roads, with lot of wholes in it" will probably cause faster then usual exchange of suspension.

These are the things, starting to worry me, because of parts accessibility in EU :(

Anyway ... the car is for us still the best car :) and the only one car I could exchange for it, will be probably Infinity FX, which I like more from the design (not my wife - she think MO is much better).

Best regars - serdeczne pozdrowienia!!!

Matik

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
you and teonek should hook up sometime and get a little photo shoot of the polish murano's going haha. yes there are little quirks with the murano and it not selling well in europe, but i really don't see why there should be problems getting parts for the murano in europe. i mean they have to have them since they do sell them. as for suspension components, i heard that the euro versions of the murano have an even more sport tuned suspension, so i guess when it's time to replace, you could always get the sportier one put in. you should really go and get that AC problem checked out cuz i've noticed most of poland is having some pretty hot days lately.

well i hope these minor issues will get worked out. for now just enjoy the rarity of your murano and the fact that you've got more power in yours than any of the euro models haha. trzymaj sie

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Have the dealer do an "Idle Air Volume Relearn". They forgot to do it after the alternator swap.

This is a common problem and it has been determined that the above procedure corrects it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:)

Well ... we used to say in POland (probably all over the world you can get same sentence ;) ) "If you want to have it done right: do it by your selfe"

And that was my situation:)

Today, I was so "injured" by our hot weather, and not working AC, that I put the car into garage, and have repaired this "not working" AC by myselfe.

Thank's to great nissanmurano.org forum, got all possible advises, solutions, and also technical informations. Located the problem very fast (not enought tigh connected plug), and after one hour "fight", some minor scratches and some burns, one great polish beer, wondering about "what was the reasn why the construcors decided to design such a complicated connector", I've resolved issue ;)

If somebody is curious, how it can be done in detail (it is very stressfull, because the connector - if you do not want do demontage half of the car - is not so easli avalible) refer to my post about not working AC, where I've posted my "way threw hell".

Nissanlove:) I was writing to teonek, but never came on idee, to teg hooked up together:)
This might be a cool thing, getting a small "zlot" as we call it in polish.
As far as I know, there are also 3-4 Muranos in Krakow, but I saw just two of them, and for sure one FX.

After I will get some free time, will be not bad, to organise a party together!

Best regards!!!

- Matik

1 - 11 of 11 Posts