Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
ghost member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have elected to fabricate my own lower bumper grille (guard) as I can possibly warrant paying $150.00 plus for a 40"x5" piece of metal. I've just completed the template and I have some material in mind:

or something similar to that.

I will be wrapping the edges in thin rubber/plastic molding as to prevent scratching, but my biggest dilemma is securing it to the lower bumper. This is where I need an opinion...

Should I
1. fashion U-shaped hooks to clip around the fins in the opening
2. T-shaped piece of metal (thin bolt and metal strap) to tension the grille onto the bumper
or
3. other option?

I really want to make this aestetically pleasing, so I deffinitely will not use zip ties or adhesives. Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Look at this Post for excellent pictures of what I think is an excellent idea for securing the lower grill.

I placed the same expanded metal inside my wife's lower grill many years ago---cept it was aluminum, yours appears to be steel?

The piece I had was from...now get this...an AC unit from a 1971 VW bus. I had the bus a long time ago and had ripped the AC unit out as that what had been eating the poor VW engines in that bus. I kept several things from it including that screen.

I have been looking at fabricating a lower screen out of stainless mesh. The only problem is the minimum purchase price from metal fabric manufacturers. Wish my bro inlaw still worked for Bill Elliot, they use stainless mesh of the type I want on nascar cars. :3:

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Take a look at my gallery for more pictures. I purchased one and have been pleased. So far its been holding up fine.

·
ghost member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the attachments that are on Gonzo's grille would work excellent. Now its just a matter of making them :D

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I am also doing this and I think I will use regular door edge guard molding to wrap the edges in.

·
ghost member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zebelkhan said:
I am also doing this and I think I will use regular door edge guard molding to wrap the edges in.
This is exactly what I had in mind as well. Im going to use a heat gun to mold the plastic to the rounded edges

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Okay I did it! Total cost $17.90

You will find pictures in my galery. Search for Lower Grill in my gallery.

I went to Home depot and bought the following:

1 Rain Gutter Gaurd
1 Black Spray Paint
6 Mirror Clips
6 #12 3 inch metal screws

Then went to the parts store and got two sets of black door edge moldings/guards.

Went home, cut the Gutter Guard to size, bent the mirror clips and used the screws to fabricate mounting brackets. Put the door edge moldings around the Gutter Guard to protect the bumper from scratches, and to also make it look better, then installed it.

Total time was a bit over two hours. It looks a lot better than it does in the pictures. Here is a sample:

Attachments

·
ghost member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How many mounting points did you use? I was thinking of three: one left/right and one central. did you do that and put them on top and bottom as well? EXCELLENT job, exactly what im working on :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Blak_on_Blak said:
How many mounting points did you use? I was thinking of three: one left/right and one central. did you do that and put them on top and bottom as well? EXCELLENT job, exactly what im working on :cool:
I decided to go with a two piece design as it was easier to cut and size. Each piece is held in place with three mounts, pne on the center of left and right and one in the middle. If I were to do it again, I would spend the extra time and and do a "one piece" job. However, where the two pieces come together in the center is covered by the license plate so it looks one piece.

The mount idea came from Gonzo's post. I bent the mirror clips and flattened its holes to make them a bit smaller to accept the screws. Then passed the screws through the screen into the mirror clips and hooked them to the vertical fins of the lower bumper. Then used touch-up paint to paint the screw heads black.

Alternatively, and probably a much cleaner way of mounting it would be to screw in a few small 90 degree angles to the sides of the vertical fins and use them to hold the creen in place. This way you can use a much shorter screw (or bolt) and it will be less visible

I can tell you that they have already done their job as I found a mark on the heft one from what a felt like a rock hitting it on the way to work this morning!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Does anyone know of a good place to buy a 2 x 1/2 foot expanded metal sheet? I would like to try and fabricate the lower bumper grille from that...

Also - what is the best tool to cur expanded metal?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Do what zebelkhan did and get a gutter guard at Home Depot or Lowes, or any other home improvement store. Metal sheers work good to cut with. In a pinch I've seen folks use diagonal cutters (dikes) as well. Don't even think of test fitting without at least tape on the edges though, it'll scratch hell out of the plastic.

I mounted my wife's behind the grill so it isn't that visable.

I found some stainless wire mesh for sale as well....kind of expensive. But check out the last BMW grill in 1/4 inch, holy cow would that look good in electro polish on my sheer silver.

http://www.autodirectsave.com/MeshGrille.asp

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks! I think I might buy that 1/4 unpoliished stainless mesh... only 39 bucks, and I do want to paint it black.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
MOPar Post your grill!

I think the one you made for us is worthy of a picture.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My lower grill.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mopar

How and what did you use to mount your guard?

Thanks-njmo

·
Registered
281 Posts
I made a angle bracket from a piece of 3/4 x 1/8 aluminum and
mounted it in the center of the inner bumper,tension holds it
against the facia when screwed to the bracket.The grill is a
piece of air grating from a electronics equiptment cabinet.

·
Registered
286 Posts
ok thanks to zebelkhan I went to lowes looking for the gutter screen to do my lower grill and came up with this. let me know what you all think!

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
can't figure out how it looks better with license plate since I'm planning to put a nissan chrome plate on front or without the license plate.
maybe you all can help decide how looks better.

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
cost in materials$1.59 for the gutter guard.
anchors were in stock at my garage.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts