Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have gotten nowhere with this issue on other threads...So here it is, all by itself. Please don't hijack, don't digress. Here is what we know:
We all agree that a propellor shaft (aka driveshaft) is only on the AWD model.
It is in the generic maintenance schedule for all Muranos.

The question is:
Has anyone lubed, had lubed or seen lubed a propellor shaft?
Has anyone found any grease fittings on the propellor shaft?

Or is Nissan giving us the (propellor) shaft???

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have obtained "Recommended Service" leaflets from two separate local dealers in two distinctly different formats. Both make reference to the propeller shaft, however the leaflets are Nissan generic and not Murano specific.

Also the Canadian (so stated on the cover) Maintenance Guide is Nissan generic so I suspect we are possibly looking for something to lube which does not exist on the Murano.:confused:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Im wondering this myself as we have turned over 25K now on our AWD SE model. I have looked in the Nissan service manual and havent found anything saying how to lubricate it. I looked under the car as well looking for some kind of zerk fittings, but didn't have any luck.

·
4,601 Posts
The service manual shows the propeller shaft with a constant velocity joint at each end and a bearing in the middle.

There is no reference to lubrication that I can see, plus it clearly states "Center bearings can not be disassembled. Joints can not be disassembled."

If the center bearing goes bad, the service procedure is to replace the whole propeller shaft.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just another item in the 7500 mile maintenance list to justify the excessive cost?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Be careful when lubricating the propeller shaft. Over-lubrication can cause light handling problems. See the photo below:

-njjoe

(photo coutesy of Cryogenix)

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
We have lift off!

NZM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts