Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally cured my remorse about not buying nav. Got a Magellan. Awaiting delivery. Any experience or comments?

·
Matthew Lesko
102 Posts
That would be my choice for a navigation system. Very nice! :D

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
ekaxel said:
Finally cured my remorse about not buying nav. Got a Magellan. Awaiting delivery. Any experience or comments?
I have the Magellan 750M. I absolutely love it! It has more "points of interests" and CORRECT Street addresses then the NAV in my friends new Benz. I'm not sure about the 700, but my 750M has the entire USA and Canada, something like 11,000,000 miles of addressable roads.

One of my favorite features is the national yellow pages. I've used it to find hotels on the fly by searching for the nearest hotel, calling them up with the provided phone number, and then getting driving directions to the place... All without stopping the car.

The address book can store up to 150 (I think) destinations, plus your last 20.

When I first got my system, I kept getting error messages. I returned it to the manufacturer (Thales Navigation), they were absolutely super to deal with.. They fixed the problem, installed a complimentary software upgrade, then followed up with a call to make sure I was satisfied. Then they told me they would have sent me a free loaner system, all I had to do was ask. They are one of the few companies I ever dealt with whose service absolutely blew me away.

You made good choice!:29:

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 700 is touted as the replacement for the 750 series. It is self contained in one unit. Just plug in the power and go. It probably uses the same database as the latest "plus" versions of the 750, and has a 10gb harddrive.

·
Matthew Lesko
102 Posts
Any idea where you're going to mount it?

·
5,268 Posts
I looked at both, Magellan 500 and 700. The 700 has a 10GB HDD and I am not sure if it can withstand car usage.

Otherwisw it is a great Nav system. Congratulations!

·
Matthew Lesko
102 Posts
Kris said:
I looked at both, Magellan 500 and 700. The 700 has a 10GB HDD and I am not sure if it can withstand car usage.

Otherwisw it is a great Nav system. Congratulations!
They sell mounting hardware for the 700. I would think its fine to use in a car.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
I agree... the 10GB harddrive is probably is not headless but uses

some sort of electromagnetic reading methods (like the compact flash or smar media)...That is why it is price at $1200 anyway.

·
Registered
136 Posts

I thought it was designed for car usage -- if not a car what is it used for?

·
5,268 Posts
I did not say it was't design for car use. I simply voiced a concern. The unit itself is very well thought out, the screen is quite large and bright. I like the unit. However, HDD is of a concern.

I hope that Magella did a good job protecting HDD from movements and vibrations..........

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is my first post.

I just purchased my Pewter SL FWD Murano a month ago. Traded a 1999 Toyota Landcruiser upon purchase. I am trying to get used to the stiffer ride and the non-burlwood interior. Man, I got used to that in the Landcruiser! I did not get the Nav, but I purchased a Roadmate 700 a couple of weeks ago so I can move it from my Murano to my wife's Sienna whenver needed.

Admittedly, the included vent mount really stinks. HOWEVER, one call to Magellan and they send a windshield mount at NO CHARGE to anyone who calls them on it. This mounts via a suxction cup and a pretty stiff, bendable arm. I think they realize a $1K plus piece of equpiment such as this should have a better mount included.

Mark Linder

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where am I going to mount it? Have to get it in my hand first (Tuesday). Looks like either on the shelf in front of the climate control display or directly above it. Windshield mount is an option, but maybe too far away in the MO.

·
Registered
43 Posts
ekaxel,

I thought the same thing, but I mounted it on the left side of the steering wheel and routed the power cord underneath the radio console and to the power outlet. The reach is at least as close as where the built in Nav is.

In any case, a call to magellan gets one to you for free - no shipping charges either. I already tossed the dreaded vent mount.

Mark Linder

·
Registered
136 Posts
mlinder, I don't see a smiley face that is green with envy -- but I would love to have that add-on nav. Color me green! :2:

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mounting on the left is good and bad. Yes close to the driver, but a temptation to mess with it while driving; and if it is there, no access by the passenger at all!

·
Registered
43 Posts
ekaxel,

I have mounted the unit directly above the LCD screen as well. The mount arm is long enough for the screen of the Roadmate to be almost exactly at the same distance away from my hand for input as the built in LCD screen is. My Murano is getting its tow hitch installed today, so I can't go out and measure right now. I'll check it out when I get it back.

Either mounting location works fine but I thought mounting it to the side was less obstrusive. Besides, it MY toy. My passenger (wife) can get here OWN toy!

Seriously, though. You make a good point. This unit is SO easy to use, even SHE (no disrespect intended) can us it without even reading the manual. And it makes more safety sense to have someone else doing the input while I concentrate on road rage ,er .. driving.

Mark Linder

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just got off the phone with Magellan. Got the windshield mount (thank you mlinder!), and determined that the HDD (hard disk) is actually a solid state memory - so no moving parts and their worries (if there really were any).

·
Registered
43 Posts
ekaxel,

I am glad you were successful getting the mount ordered. The woman who helped me was so "perky" I could barely get off the phone!

I am interested in the newer mount that isn't available yet. It is kind of a heavy tripod-like mount that I think would sit perfectly in the center of the dash top. It is supposed to have a low, heavy center of gravity to keep it from flying off the dash (except in a crash I guess). My concern is that it may have to sit back too far to reach easily. I'll let someone else be the ginea pig on that one!

Here's a link to it:

http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/product.asp?PRODID=961

I hope the link works.

Enjoy your Roadmate!

Mark Linder

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If mine ends up on some flat surface, I think I'll try Velcro.

·
5,268 Posts
ekaxel said:
I just got off the phone with Magellan. Got the windshield mount (thank you mlinder!), and determined that the HDD (hard disk) is actually a solid state memory - so no moving parts and their worries (if there really were any).
interesting........10 GB solid state memory............hm............did i miss something? 1 GB CF cards cost at least $200, so 10 GB - $2,000............I am affraid the tech support you talked to wasn't well informed...........I hope I am wrong.........

1 - 20 of 37 Posts