Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ran across this while browsing yahoo news. It looks like Nissan is leading the way once again.

Magic Bumper

I an not sure if I would really want my car thinking for me but it sounds like a really cool idea. Now all we need is a Magic Steering Wheel! The other part I really liked was at the bottom of the article where they are talking about self-repairing paint! That would be sweet. Got a scratch, no problem just pour some hot water on it and buff it out! Go Nissan!

Pacmo

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Wonderful to see folks trying to push the envelope

Having been in the Auto Safety technology business for many years, I applaud the effort. Id it the best, is it great, is it dangerous, I can't tell i like a lot of what it does but there may be pitfalls.

Lets face it Military planes are going un-manned, They even have cable laying ships that do the whole thing unmanned. Cars will become conveyances in time and be under autonomous control. I'll miss the person satisfaction of driving control but the increase in fuel savings, times, safety, etc. may all be worth it when viewed for a overall society viewpoint. Lets face it the planet can't support the population it has much less if it is not as efficient as possible.

Things are a changing and always will.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
That is some very interesting technology.

I can see where it can possibly save lives, especially if someone has fallen asleep at the wheel.

-njjoe

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree it could be very beneficial to us all. I know we all like to think we are excellent drivers but when you are talking about speeds in excess of 70mph some things can happen way faster than a human is capable of reacting to. I would love the day that I can just get in my car and tell it where I want to go and it takes me there. But I think I would still insist on some sort of manual dive mode.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I JUST WANT THE SCRATCH FIXING PAINT!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
hmmm it says this paint will be applied to an suv model that will be having a face lift soon... what do you guys think.... x-trail, pathfinder, armada????

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nissanlove said:
hmmm it says this paint will be applied to an suv model that will be having a face lift soon... what do you guys think.... x-trail, pathfinder, armada????
Hmmm good question. I think I remember in another article I read about the paint they mentioned the x-trail. So my money would be on it But I really want it on my MO now. I wounder if you will be able to have a vehicle repainted with the magic paint?!?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Before Nissan gets into "Magic paint" I would like them to perfect regular paint... I've got light scratches all over my MO's soft paint. :mad:

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Gonzo said:
Before Nissan gets into "Magic paint" I would like them to perfect regular paint... I've got light scratches all over my MO's soft paint. :mad:
That is why they need magic....:2:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
pacmo said:
But I really want it on my MO now. I wounder if you will be able to have a vehicle repainted with the magic paint?!?
well since it's just a "resin" that last 3 years you should be able to get this magic paint system sprayed on since it would need to be re-sprayed every 3 years.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
nissanlove said:

well since it's just a "resin" that last 3 years you should be able to get this magic paint system sprayed on since it would need to be re-sprayed every 3 years.
Oh yeah, that's going to work real well. I suppose Nissan is going to require us to return the car to the dealer every three years so the "resin" can be reapplied. What's that going to cost?

-njjoe

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
njjoe said:

Oh yeah, that's going to work real well. I suppose Nissan is going to require us to return the car to the dealer every three years so the "resin" can be reapplied. What's that going to cost?

-njjoe

Hmmm I don't know. How bout each paint job they take another inch out of how far your sunroof opens! :D If you don't have a sun roof they can just bolt your rear hatch shut!!! :2:

Pacmo

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
njjoe said:

-njjoe
One way to ensure that customers have to return to the dealership to reapply the magic paint every 3 years is to have the layer of paint beneath the resin chemically react with air and turn an awful color. If I were PPG, I would pick the color "rust" - that should get people into their paint shops every 3 years. :D

As for the magic bumper, I fail to see how its different from the standard radar based distance control systems offered by Lexus and Mercedes, which also provide warnings before a collision and also apply the brakes. The Mercedes system is unique in that it can also stop the car completely, and also accelerate it from a stop when traffic gets moving again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts