Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mo Love!
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! this is my first post...

I noticed that I have a nice chip in my hood and I was wondering if those magnet bras come in other colors than black. I have a silver Mo and would like to get one that blends a little better.

I love the Mo,but the paint just isnt very durable! Only 5000 miles and already chips. :-(

thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I am wondering if there is a market for an extra thick/tough clear coat that could be sprayed on that leading edge of our hoods that seems to be the rock magnet. I have the film on my bumper cover and it is quite useless against rocks. Imron used to be the cure all until folks found out it was too hard--it chipped off in large pieces.
Car paint ain't paint, and hasn't been for a long time. The price of a gallon of the coating once you add the UV resist, the elastometers, and all the other groovey stuff, is very expensive. I think Nissan was treading the line between: too soft--easily scratched, and, Too hard easily chipped. I think they leaned a little too far in the hard direction for those folks that can't seem to find the time to wax their cars.....not to mention running them through machine washes....
Maybe the answer would be having a shop give about 6 coats of clear with added elastometer in there. I would surely give up the scratch resistance for the chip potential. If you keep the dang thing waxed, it wouldn't scratch....if you used a good enough wax/protectant.

·
Registered
128 Posts
mgthe3 said:
I am wondering if there is a market for an extra thick/tough clear coat that could be sprayed on that leading edge of our hoods that seems to be the rock magnet. I have the film on my bumper cover and it is quite useless against rocks. Imron used to be the cure all until folks found out it was too hard--it chipped off in large pieces.
Car paint ain't paint, and hasn't been for a long time. The price of a gallon of the coating once you add the UV resist, the elastometers, and all the other groovey stuff, is very expensive. I think Nissan was treading the line between: too soft--easily scratched, and, Too hard easily chipped. I think they leaned a little too far in the hard direction for those folks that can't seem to find the time to wax their cars.....not to mention running them through machine washes....
Maybe the answer would be having a shop give about 6 coats of clear with added elastometer in there. I would surely give up the scratch resistance for the chip potential. If you keep the dang thing waxed, it wouldn't scratch....if you used a good enough wax/protectant.
You could get a clearbra like I have on my Z. It works awesome, and yopu can barely tell its there. It even saved my paint when I rubbed the bumper against a curb (like a moron).

·
Registered
289 Posts
Lex Shield is a nationwide outfit for clear bra type coating.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My dealer did mine.. it cost I think 530 for the bumper mirrors and front of the hood.

Looks nice too... but it can catch wax, so you have to clean the edge after you wax

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
There's always StonGard (http://www.stongard.com)

I'm debating whether I want it on my MO or not. A couple of co-workers have used it, and some applications look great (meaning you can't even tell it's there) while others have had problems (bubbles showing after a year or so). The nice part about it is that it covers far more than just the front bumper that the clear bras protect.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Corin said:
There's always StonGard (http://www.stongard.com)
I finally decided to get the Magnet Bra and ordered this morning on eBay.

But, Stongard does have some cool pieces, including door cups to help protect around the door handles. Fourteen dollars seems reasonable enough.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Forgot...

to include the diagram from the site.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Re: Forgot...

MO Dale said:
to include the diagram from the site.
Got any pics of it installed?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I have had my Magnetbra over a year and no complaints (and no new hood dings!).

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Mr.Z sure looks like a white unmarked Cop Car in the back.

G.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
GripperDon said:
Mr.Z sure looks like a white unmarked Cop Car in the back
Good eye! Yes. I live in a VERY safe neighborhood as most of my neighbors are peace officers and detectives....:4:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts