Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think about this product?
1. will it help to prevent chips?
2. will there be a difference as uncovered part of hood paint fades?
3. what is going on underneath of magnet bra?
4. how is it going to look on a black Murrano?

More info here: magnetbra.com
Price $44.95 Plus S&H $9.95

Thank you for input.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would imagine it would look better on a black MO, than any other color. But the photos on the website are not too clear...

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I wonder if the Magna Bra interfere at all with my Weather Tech Bug deflector?

:confused:

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've been using this for several months now. I feel that it has prevented chips. Before I started using it, I had three chips on the hood after one month of highway driving. So far, no new chips.

I take it off whenever I wash my vehicle, and it has always been perfectly clean underneath it.

My vehicle is copper, and I too am concerned about fading. I have never felt that it was going to be a permanent solution. I'll probably get a clear bra sometime in the near future. It looks fine on the copper, but would probably look better on black.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am new to the site, but was interested to see if other Murano owners were having problems with paint chips on the hood. I have 5k miles on the vehicle and have at least a half dozen chips down to the metal. I know chips tend to happen with highway driving, but I have never had so many in such a short time. What is the solution? I was thinking about the clear coat protectant, is it worth it or is a leather bra a better purchase.

Thanks!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Magnet bra gets my vote. I have been using one since august and it does an excellent job on protection an provides an almost water proof seal to the hood.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I actually recommend the Colgan full front bra for the murano. I will try to post a picture on this forum tomorrow. It looks great, good enough for me to ditch my Weathertech Bug Deflector (which was also good).

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just don't have the time to look after a fabric style bra which can often do more damage in our climate than good. They have to be kept dry or they rot the paint they have to be kept clean of loose dirt an grit or they scratch the paint and they look dirty long before the rest of the car does.

The magnet bra gets the regular wand car wash treatment followed by a quick wipe under the back edge with a paper towel.

I hate drive through car washes and when the mercury is below 0 the drive way wash is not an option.

As for the "Bug Deflectors" try driving with one half installed and you will quicly see they don't deflect anything. They do stop rock chips on the front of the hood but ruin the lines of the Murano in my opinion and probably increase airflow drag.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I've used normal bras on cars for years and never had a problem with any of them. No paint damage, no clouding, nothing. They key is the keep the area under the bra waxed (say, wax once every 2 months). My 7 year old Maxima has had a bra from day one and the paint under it is perfect. Thats just my experience, perhaps its different for other people.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
nd347 my vote goes to the clear bra (obviously).
You can check out my car in the Gallery.
The Clear Bra (Mine is the Ultra Shield) covers the front of the hood, the whole bumper, the front of the fenders, the fog lites, the Headlights, and the back of the mirrors.
I also used some in place of the cargo cover on the back bumper.
You can't get that kind of coverage with fabric bras.

Take a look.
Oh that's right, you won't be able to see it.

But then, that's the point isn't it?

Homer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Clear Bra

Homer,

Thanks for the advice. Was the clear bra something offered by the dealer or did you have it done somewhere else. How is the protection? I want to make the best choice for the money. I am pretty upset with the condition of the hood already. I love my Murano and want to do everything I can to keep it in great condition. I think everyone can agree with that.

nd347:4:

·
Registered
487 Posts
The clear bra will run you like $300 ...

I'm not sure if that includes installation or not. The guy who installs it has to be VERY careful when he does it, otherwise he can ruin it and will have to start over.

Magnetbra... $45

It's not as nice as a 99%-transparent film over your hood (think of it as an extra clear-coat), BUT it is cheaper and works the same way. In fact, I'd say the magnetbra would stand up to more abuse simply because it is a cloth/fabric/material covering and not a thin layer of plastic.

Plus, you can install the magnetbra yourself.

So... it's up to you. I have a black MO and am really considering this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The dealership is quoting me about $800 for the clear bra. My only concern in either case is the coverage. I want the best coverage for my money. I do have some chips half way or more up the hood. Should/would the magnetbra give me enough coverage? I want to get the most coverage and protection for my money, but $800 vs $45...hmmm

·
Registered
487 Posts
See if you can judge by the pictures if the magnetbra will give you enough cover.

The clearbra covers about the same area on the hood. It will also cover your lower bumper. It may even cover the back of your side mirrors, depending on the clearbra kit you're getting...

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I have one on a silver MO It works and looks great. All you need is a heat gun when it is first installed. The guy that makes them lives down the street. I paid $34.95, and would recommend it to anyone. They are on ebay @$39.95 (or less)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I too purchased the MagnetBra from Ebay @ 34.95. Due to the cold weather I delayed installing it. I was sorry I waited, I discovered two paint chips on the hood that are now covered by the MagnetBra. I have received another paint chip since, about 4 inches higher than the bra covers. I am thinking a bug deflector may have helped with that one but not liking the looks. Anyone tried Nissans touch up paint? My dealer salesman gave me a bottle but I remember this stuff didn't work well on my last "Datsun" ( 1977 280z)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got Murano. Had Maxima for 4 years. Nissan makes great cars, only one problem- frond end pain chipping like someone shooting at you from AK-47. Clearbra is the best choice to keep Murano looking new. My cousin has it on his Supra for years- no problems at all. 3M product is very expensive, almost $700- they are crazy. Go to CLEARSHIELD.COM. I got quote for same job only $199 and they told me that there product is better – will not get yellow as 3M does.:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
MURMUR said:
Just got Murano. Had Maxima for 4 years. Nissan makes great cars, only one problem- frond end pain chipping like someone shooting at you from AK-47. Clearbra is the best choice to keep Murano looking new. My cousin has it on his Supra for years- no problems at all. 3M product is very expensive, almost $700- they are crazy. Go to CLEARSHIELD.COM. I got quote for same job only $199 and they told me that there product is better – will not get yellow as 3M does.:
$199 installed is a great price. Are you sure they are not just quoting you the plastic material?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts