Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a magnetic oil drain plug? If so how do you like it and does it work? There is one on Ebay but I don't know if it is just a waste of money or not. Any info is appreciated. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I like the idea...but would rather have the filter mag wrap, that way the junk is thrown out with the filter. I have had one of those mag drain plugs, and it did catch stuff, but, I was wondering about oil windage sometimes knocking off clumps....I would rather have it in my filter where a clump would be contained.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
How about both? GRIP :D

·
Registered
416 Posts
A magnetic drain plug does attract and hold metallic "debris" from the oil .... the debris would be in the oil pan and would be filtered by the oil pick up screen(big particles) and the oil filter prior to being pumped back through your engine...if you change your oil and the magnetic plug has debris on it, it may be a warning of major engine problems developing....

·
4,994 Posts
I like early warnings, that happen before I get into too much trouble. Just like Grippee gives me. GRIP :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to wonder on the filter mag. if the debri is already in the filter shouldn't it stay trapped in the filter with or without the magnet? I'm not a mechanic so I really don't know. :cool:

·
4,994 Posts
It may be passing thru the filter, If the magnet can hold it it must have been flowing thru in the oil before the magnet gripped it. This makes me thing the magnet is doing some good, Who has the,. Most value for the $ GRIP :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, who makes a filter magnet small enough for our lawn mower size filter? It cant hurt I wouldn't think. :cool:

·
4,994 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts