Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Murano, but I'm starting to crave a few things....

Some days, I miss having a car. Why? I don't know, I'm trying to nail this down... Especially since the Murano drives like a tall car.

OK, maybe it's not so much a car I'm missing, but a performance car. One that I can put fairly large boxes into. Hmmm, well that just about trashes most cars as being feasible.

But there's the Magnum. Hmmm RWD or AWD. I admit, there have been a half dozen days in the past 2.5 years that the Murano's AWD truly have been significantly useful. Could I live without AWD?

Well RWD sucks in bad weather. Well at least that's what I thought. However Daimler Chrysler seems to have that addressed pretty well with their ESP system. It's still not AWD, which they have as well (and is truly AWD, not just part time, like Nissan's Murano), but could I live without it? Sure did in the past...

OK, so if I was to look at a Magnum as an alternate, which one? Well, I was targetting the R/T as it has a fuel efficient version of the 5.7 litre Hemi V8 with a lovely V8 sound (heavily muted, but there) and lots of power.

What about the CVT? Won't I miss that? Well when test driving an R/T, I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth the 5 speed auto was.

OK, so how about pricing? Well for the price of a loaded Murano, I can get a Magnum SRT8. (So much for the fuel efficent V8) The SRT8 has Brembos, 20's, high performance for a land yacht and 425 HP from a 6.1 litre Hemi V8. If I got another Murano, it would be a loaded one.

Fuel mileage? Hmmm... Is it significantly worse than a Murano with a heavy footed driver? And is that extra money on buying outragously expensive gasoline, worth the entertainment? I'm still pondering this, but the answer might just be yes....

It's still a long way off, before I have to decide. With a six month build time, the last time I was checking, I'd be ordering one next summer for the end of the Murano's lease. But it's awfully tempting.

So why else would I want one? Well, I have a home office and the vehicle rarely sees rush hour traffic, as a result. My commute consists of a few steps, not a drive. Plus, as much as I want a toy car, there's not the room for it, so it's a bit of a PITA to arrange for one.

So why not make the daily driver the toy car?

Of course, it helps when my wife saw one with an old guy (her words, not mine) and asked him what he thought of it. His answer? A big smile and "Vroom Vroom!".

In a perfect world, I'd want to keep the Murano and have an SRT8. I might have to make a sacrifice. We'll see. I have this terrible habit of thinking out loud and then changing my mind!

I kind of like the idea of a 5.1 0 to 60 speed with a 13.1 second quarter mile time. Totally uneeded for the daily driver. But I didn't get a Honda Element either...

Oh, one more thing... My cousin works for DC. Employee discount. OK, now the SRT8 is cheaper than a loaded Murano. Guess that will help pay for the gas.

Just thoughts, nothing more, but I'm curious if anyone has done the Murano/Magnum comparison. When you're not sure you need an SUV, but like some of the capabilities of an Urban SUV, maybe it's a good alternate?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I would love to have a car. Big V8. Kick butt acceleration.

BUT.

We moved up off the pavement some years ago.

I'm probably not going back down, except maybe for a toy car.

Homer

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I personally don't like the looks of the magnum, but that is just me. You should get what you really want, and that seems to be the magnum, especially since gas mileage is not a real factor (home office). If you had the commute drive that I have, considering the gas prices these days, I would recommend forgetting the magnum, or the murano for that matter, and going for a hybrid civic. That is probably what I will end up doing.... :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
I test drove a Magnum just for the heck of it.

More space than I would have guessed in the back. Even though the vehicle sits low it dips down on the inside of the back. Not much of a roofline but there is space in there for sure.

Straight line power

Dislikes:
Visibility out any window other than the front

Not a cornering machine for sure, I did not feel it would be fast in the twisties

Very BLAND interior - nothing to look at other than basic controls. No style to it at all. Sure the SRT looks better there.

If you are missing your vitamin G, as in g-forces, but need some room to haul things this looks like a good place to get.

You are right AWD is not needed very often and my BMW M3 has RWD and I get around in snow just fine with reasonable tires and traction control. Now way to do that in my 300ZX. They have improved the computer controls plenty to make AWD not a requirement for me.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Apples & oranges.
We bought the MO because it was easy to get in and out of (among other things). The Magnum - forget it!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Personally, I would take the Charger over the Magnum. I really like the muscle car look from a 4 door sedan. I think it just looks tough. Check it out on the Dodge web site. But I still wouldnt get rid of the MO for it.

http://www.dodge.com/charger/home_static.html

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
hmmmm

never been a DC fan....cept for the cudas

You need something for your equipment hauling and something fast.
Can't think of anything besides a typhoon you could do that with and still have a thrilla....besides building something.
Maybe you do need a toy like a miata with a mouse motor....to have fun with: it would smoke a magnum. Keep a hauler outside, park the toy inside.

But, I guess the already built magnum is an all around good choice for what you want. Get the 6.1, screw the AWD. 10 hp per 100 pounds...that's fast.

:2:

·
Registered
781 Posts
I didn't care for the forward visibility of the Magnum. It seemed a bit tunnel like.

I love the look. It was on our short list. It is REALLY long - 210 inches or so (the Magnum - not our list).

I dunno. The wife REALLY likes it. I like it. I'd have to go with the SRT8. I though they have the multi-displacement whatever on that also. I'm personally leaning more towards the Cherokee SRT8 or the Trailblazer SS if I want to let GM back in my life.

·
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love the Charger too. But I can't stick a big box in it. Maybe I'll just spend more of my employer's money on couriers...

I think the Murano's fabulous, I've got a craving for a muscle car toy, but it's not fitting in with the plans.

So what do I do?

mgthe3, you've nailed exactly where my head's at...

Cuda? I'd love one of those... In Plum Crazy, please....

Didn't win the draw for this one:

But the draw for this one is coming up next week...

http://www.kwoptimist.ca./images/2005/Cuda 003.jpg

Reality? I'd have to rent space to park it, but I'm willing to take the risk. (Like I'm going to win!)

So I strongly suspect this is the kid in me, finally telling myself, it's ok to have a modern muscle car, have some fun, but have the conveniences and safety of a car of today.

If those cravings weren't there, I know I'd be looking at something different. But a lot of what I see these days, just makes me yawn. I guess the Murano's spoiled me. I can't ever see going back to something that fits in with the masses.

Growing up as a teenager in the late sixties, early seventies, sure made a difference too. I still have vivid memories of friends Cuda's, GTX, Trans Ams, Extremely fast Mustangs, Chargers, etc...

Must be the mid-life crisis. I was riding fast motorcycles and never got my muscle car... And the craving's never really gone away!

·
Registered
781 Posts
I say ya do it. You've talked about it for a year. The itch hasn't gone away. Scratch that itch.

If ya do it - ya gotta get the SRT8.

·
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I looked at the Charger... I still look at it...

·
Registered
828 Posts
Go all the way:

Shelby Cobra GT500 is 450, as in 450 horsepower and 450 pounds-feet of torque generated from a supercharged 5.4-liter DOHC V-8 engine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
yeah, the cuda was a fave of mine...even after I bought my rally sport. I'll be dammed if there wasn't a black cuda sitting there on a tiny lot stareing at me the very day after I bought the rally sport. I pulled in and asked--same price I paid for the RS. Dam.
Same thing happened when I bought my maroon Z-28, the next day on the same lot sat a 67 chevelle with a FACTORY 427 in it--same price, dammit again.
OOOOuuuuuuu that red hemi cuda would definetly be a thrilla.

Then the wifey could buy you a set of carrillo rods and a kryptonite crank for ur B-day.

Ooooooh yeah.

'Course then you'd have to get the sub frame welded so you wouldn't twist her...

hehehe

·
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ahhh... You guys would be a lot of fun, over a beer or two...

I like the Cobra... The blower's a good idea, maybe the 6.1 in the SRT should be blown. Let's see, blower on an engine that's already 425 HP with 420 ft/lbs... No, I don't need it. Yes, it would be fun.

Cuda, RS, Z-28, Chevelle... Love 'em all.

Now to go look at that list.... Then dream, then step back in to reality. (Later...)

·
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, if money was no object, I'd take the whole list!!!

Pavlov was right. I was salivating through the whole thing.

The modern list needs an update, however.

There's rumours of a Challenger being built, with two doors. If the gas gouging by those that own oil companies doesn't kill the whole thing.

Hmmm... Maybe I don't need to carry those boxes. I could get a trailer, but I have no where to put that. And a roof rack would look plain silly.

Speaking of Hybrids, has anyone seen the latest Charger ads? DC's saying it's a hybrid. It burns both gas AND rubber. There's a lot of peeved hybrid owners with that ad. Of course, none of them would have considered a Charger in the first place, but it's still amazing that they'd push the buttons.

·
Registered
37 Posts
wow, i think i am one of the few here who cannot stand these american "muscle" cars...anyhow, i think the MO is an amazing vehicle, and if it wasnt for the gas prices it would be on my driveway, rather than waiting for the new 2006 honda civic hybrid

·
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There's lots that can't stand them, and for a while, I was one of them. I've just been impressed with the quality of SOME of Daimler Chrysler's products of late and it's got me remembering those late sixties, early seventies...

·
Registered
37 Posts
had i been around back then, i think i would feel diferently about the american cars. The American cars were dominant at that period of time.

·
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, you definately would. There was a time when they were the standard. Daimler Chrysler appears to be learning.

I've yet to have a vehicle with better all around quality and drivers experience than my 2000 Maxima GLE. It beats the Murano for comfort and ride, hands down. But doesn't look anywhere near as cool... In fact I thought the tail lights were ugly.

I don't like the handling of Toyota/Lexus products, too soft for my tastes. Honda's often look great on the outside and cheap on the inside, but I should go drive an Acura to see if they figured it out there. But you know it's still a Honda. Just like Infiniti is a Nissan.

But for that kind of coin, I think I'd rather be looking at Beemers and Mercedes.

Given a choice, I'd have a 20 car garage.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts