Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

My MO has 46,000 km and called the dealership to make an appointment for service. The service guy suggested Maintenance #3 and the total cost? C$380- taxes not included.
Did any one who has had this maintenance done pay this amount???

Thanks

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Mymurano-

The Service Manual references a "Schedule 1" and a "Schedule 2" maintenance check-list, but makes no reference to "Maintenance #3". I am not sure what "Maintenance 3" entails.

Also, it looks like the dealer is bumping you up to the 48,000 km service interval, which is the first "major" one. The previous service intervals call for changing the oil and oil filter. The 48,000km adds the following: in-cabin microfilter, air cleaner filter, replace engine coolant, plus about a dozen visual inspections (fuel lines, brake lines, brake pads, fluid levels, CV seals, exhaust system, etc.).

I suggest you find out from the dealer what "Maintenance 3" is. It is possible it may be overkill, so you may be able to save some money.

-njjoe

·
Registered
12 Posts
ditto to njjoe reply, have the dealer fax you a complete list of what is included. Normally what you are getting is a very expensive oil and filter change.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
It's a Canadian thing.

Homer

Probably Maint 3 = Preferred Maint

"PREFERRED MAINTENANCE* (Every 6,000 kilometres or 3 months, whichever comes first)
Preferred Maintenance is a Nissan-recommended option that is suitable for all driving habits and local conditions. Nissan developed Preferred Maintenance for owners who want the ultimate in preventative maintenance. With Preferred Maintenance, more maintenance items are regularly checked or replaced than with either Schedule 1 or Schedule 2 maintenance schedules. Using the Preferred Maintenance schedule may optimize the performance, reliability and resale value of your vehicle.

Replace engine oil and filter
· Lubricate propeller shaft 1
· Replace automatic transmission/CVT fluid
· Replace engine air filter
· Replace engine coolant/flush system
· Replace engine drive belts
· Replace free-running hub grease 2
· Replace front wheel bearing grease (4WD only)
· Replace fuel filter 3
· Replace in-cabin microfilter 4
· Replace limited-slip differential oil 5
· Replace manual transmission oil
· Replace PCV filter (4 cylinder Frontier/Xterra)
· Replace radiator cap
· Replace wiper blades
· Rotate tires (except 350Z)
· Optional: flush automatic transmission (flush with ATF)

· Inspect the following:
__ All lights
__ Axle & suspension parts
__ Brake lines & cables
__ Brake pads, rotors, drums & linings
__ Drive shaft boots
__ Exhaust system
__ Front suspension ball joints
__ Front wheel bearing grease (2WD only)3
__ Fuel lines/connections
__ Fuel tank vapor vent system hoses
__ Headlights/adjust if necessary
__ Propeller shaft (4WD/AWD)
__ Steering gear and linkage
__ Steering linkage ball joints
-----
1 4WD version of Frontier, Pathfinder, Xterra. (Propeller shaft should be re-greased after being immersed in water).
2 4WD versions of Frontier, Xterra.
3 Frontier, Pathfinder, Xterra.
4 Standard equipment on Maxima, Murano, Altima, X-Trail, Quest SL, SE, Titan Crew Cab LE, SE. Optional acccessory on all other models.
5 350Z, Frontier, Pathfinder, Xterra, AWD Murano, Armada, Titan, AWD X-Trail.
6 Replace (not just inspect) oil/fluid if towing a trailer, using a camper or a car-top carrier, or driving on rough or muddy roads

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
A lot of these services list a bunch of things they will do, but there are footnotes on each item saying "not applicable" for certain models. In such a case, that particular item is not performed, but you have to pay the full package price anyways!

If your dealer will do all of that for $380C, thats a good price. But I bet they won't.

The CVT fluid alone costs $20US/qt, and the transmission holds about 10 qts! Even a drain and refill will be 5 qts, and you'll probably get the line from the dealer that the "CVT fluid never needs changing."

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Ask for a detaled list of what they will actually do

for your vehicle and let them know you will be requesting a print out when you get the car back.

You can say this all very nicely, letting them know this is a lot of money and you need the info to justify it to someone, spouse, etc.
Always works better when it's something someone else requires.

If the CVT fluid has not been changed and it is time for it not too bad a deal. Make sure they are going to do it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I am better informed now.
Just wanted to be sure that I was not going to pay that kind of money for vapourware

·
Registered
438 Posts
I usually ask them for the list of things they need to do to maintain the warranty... as opposed to their "super-duper diamond club ultra deluxe" service. This usually chops the cost of the service in half righ there. (I can change my own wiper blades, inspect the operation of my lights and top off my washer fluid thanks!).

Then, look at the list and see if there is anything you can do yourself (in-cabin microfilter would be a possibility). Have them do the rest. For example, I don't think I'd want to change all the belts myself and since a brake inspection is worthwhile at the recommended intervals, the tire rotation overlaps with this service.

Since the powertrain warranty on the car is fairly long, I would make sure that all maintennance that pertains to powertrain is done and documented (cough, cough, CVT) to avoid a denial of a claim later.

·
Registered
191 Posts
hfelknor said:
It's a Canadian thing.

Homer

Probably Maint 3 = Preferred Maint

"PREFERRED MAINTENANCE* (Every 6,000 kilometres or 3 months, whichever comes first)
Preferred Maintenance is a Nissan-recommended option that is suitable for all driving habits and local conditions. Nissan developed Preferred Maintenance for owners who want the ultimate in preventative maintenance. With Preferred Maintenance, more maintenance items are regularly checked or replaced than with either Schedule 1 or Schedule 2 maintenance schedules. Using the Preferred Maintenance schedule may optimize the performance, reliability and resale value of your vehicle.

Replace engine oil and filter
· Lubricate propeller shaft 1
· Replace automatic transmission/CVT fluid
· Replace engine air filter
· Replace engine coolant/flush system
· Replace engine drive belts
· Replace free-running hub grease 2
· Replace front wheel bearing grease (4WD only)
· Replace fuel filter 3
· Replace in-cabin microfilter 4
· Replace limited-slip differential oil 5
· Replace manual transmission oil
· Replace PCV filter (4 cylinder Frontier/Xterra)
· Replace radiator cap
· Replace wiper blades
· Rotate tires (except 350Z)
· Optional: flush automatic transmission (flush with ATF)

· Inspect the following:
__ All lights
__ Axle & suspension parts
__ Brake lines & cables
__ Brake pads, rotors, drums & linings
__ Drive shaft boots
__ Exhaust system
__ Front suspension ball joints
__ Front wheel bearing grease (2WD only)3
__ Fuel lines/connections
__ Fuel tank vapor vent system hoses
__ Headlights/adjust if necessary
__ Propeller shaft (4WD/AWD)
__ Steering gear and linkage
__ Steering linkage ball joints
-----
1 4WD version of Frontier, Pathfinder, Xterra. (Propeller shaft should be re-greased after being immersed in water).
2 4WD versions of Frontier, Xterra.
3 Frontier, Pathfinder, Xterra.
4 Standard equipment on Maxima, Murano, Altima, X-Trail, Quest SL, SE, Titan Crew Cab LE, SE. Optional acccessory on all other models.
5 350Z, Frontier, Pathfinder, Xterra, AWD Murano, Armada, Titan, AWD X-Trail.
6 Replace (not just inspect) oil/fluid if towing a trailer, using a camper or a car-top carrier, or driving on rough or muddy roads
Hey Mymo....be warry of what they want to charge!! I've been screwed over a couple of times from my Nissan dealers...if you want, email me and I'll let you know which ones...I'm in Ontario as well!

About the tranny fluid change....when I last had Mo in for service, the dealer said to me that there is a special test they do to measure how much life is left in the fluid and basically, it's good for 300K or so....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts