Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone , I have a 2016 platinum, I ve had it just under 2 years now,and it only has 5836 miles on it , last week the Malfunction Indicator Light came on, it was solid on not flashing , I checked the gas cap and it was tight, so not the problem, it had a half tank fuel so decided to fill it up to see if light would go off, it didn’t , after driving it for a few days the light went off, so a week later today the light has came back on again , once again it’s a solid light and not flashing I took it to Nissan dealership service dept, they pulled the codes and said there’s so many they have no idea what the problem is, that they need it for several days to evaluate the vehicle, they sent me on my way with the light still on, they didn’t reset the light , I’ll have to wait until Thursday or Friday when they can get my vehicle in.. To me it doesn’t make sense that there’s all these codes that they said they pulled because the light only came twice so far , last week was the first time and this week was the second time I would believe the code or codes should point directly to what part or parts the issue causing a malfunction light to come on, so my question is has anyone else had issues with the malfunction indicator light coming on and staying on? Thanks in advance ,

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Still under warranty so it's a Nissan problem. Curious ? I bought a few of this kind (for ~$5):
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/LATOW-Bluetooth-Scanner-Diagnostic-Eliminator/dp/B07CTBZRVN/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1534205039&sr=8-9&keywords=odbii[/ame]
(You can take your car to an auto-part store and ask them for a free reading).
Have used it a few times over the years (for our own cars & friends/relatives). Mostly with "direct" codes ... (MAF sensor, O2 sensor, Coil#? ...). Some problems can't be fixed myself (no tools, too old ...) but I could tell the mechanic exactly what needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea it’s for sure under warranty ... just hope it’s a straight forward fix... always hate when they can’t seem to ever find the problem or fix it without multiple trips to the dealership....
think I’ll take it to the auto parts store and see if they can tell me if the code points to a specific part that’s causing the fault ...

·
Registered
906 Posts
Check engine light, could be anything really.

When messing with my car installing my new radio and other stuff, I had it come so many time, but since I knew what caused it to come on, I just reset it with my ODB reader.

One time I was messing with my canbus and I had a engine spark plug misfire code, I was able to reset it my my odb reader.

Another time, I cant really recall, but it was a code related to the sensor in the gas tank. When it came on, I was hooking up some LEDs and I tap into one of the wires that goes into the ECU, I was using a relay and forgot to use a diode to prevent feedback to the ECU.

Do you have an ODB reader? You can check the code yourself and see what is wrong. ODB scan tools are plenty on amazon and you can download the reader for free on android or ios.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
7,793 Posts
I'll bet this ends up as not a big deal. I'm surprised they couldn't get a code that tells them something.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi everyone , I have a 2016 platinum, I ve had it just under 2 years now,and it only has 5836 miles on it , last week the Malfunction Indicator Light came on, it was solid on not flashing , I checked the gas cap and it was tight, so not the problem, it had a half tank fuel so decided to fill it up to see if light would go off, it didn’t , after driving it for a few days the light went off, so a week later today the light has came back on again , once again it’s a solid light and not flashing I took it to Nissan dealership service dept, they pulled the codes and said there’s so many they have no idea what the problem is, that they need it for several days to evaluate the vehicle, they sent me on my way with the light still on, they didn’t reset the light , I’ll have to wait until Thursday or Friday when they can get my vehicle in.. To me it doesn’t make sense that there’s all these codes that they said they pulled because the light only came twice so far , last week was the first time and this week was the second time I would believe the code or codes should point directly to what part or parts the issue causing a malfunction light to come on, so my question is has anyone else had issues with the malfunction indicator light coming on and staying on? Thanks in advance ,
Got my mo back today, so far no MFI LIGHT ON, the dealership had it 3 days, they replaced the rear exhaust gas sensor (02), they replaced the rear heated oxygen sensor, the MAF, and all coil packs,spark plugs, throttle position sensor, I still find it hard to believe with only 5,836 miles on my mo that all that went wrong at once, but apparently all the codes pointed to all those items, also there was 5 codes from the ICC not being available because the front radar sensor being blocked with snow over last winter which I recall each time the warning message popped up saying was not available , but at least it’s fixed and was of corse under the warranty....

·
The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,288 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Took my car to the dealer this morning because the the CEL was on; they pulled the code (P0138 oxygen sensor) but they could not find anything wrong so they reset the fault. I drove out only to see the light back on after about 20 seconds or so and I left the car for further testing. It doesn't seem common at such low mileage (about 3500 miles). To be followed...

·
Registered
221 Posts
I bet ya they couldnt figure it out and instead just replaced whatever the codes suggested was causing the problem in order to save time.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Yesterday they only reset the code.Today they replaced one of the O2 sensors (rear bank 1) and so far so good!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Well that didn't last...The light is back on. Waiting for the dealer to call me back for an appointment; they are head over heels with winter tires installation after the first snow fall of the season. I should have bought a Leaf!!!

·
Registered
728 Posts
They will replace the O2 sensor on the rear bank 2 tomorrow. Apparently this problem can happen when only one sensor is replaced which can cause a fuel air ratio fault code. There are two more sensors mounted ahead of the O2 sensors...but they are for fuel/air ratio. Lets hope they don't cause any trouble!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Light is on again... I'm leaving the vehicle at my dealer Monday morning. I only have 7,100 kms or about 4,000 miles! I drive very little, go figure probably another sensor went bezurk, duh!

·
Registered
728 Posts
P0138 code again! They reset it and told me it could be caused by short trips and suggested I fill up with premium a few times; if it comes back, they may replace a sensor. Not sure this will work in the long run. Why bank 1 sensors have been affected so far and not bank 2 sensors? Go figure...

·
Registered
728 Posts
The light is back on...I must make an appointment and leave the vehicle when I can spare it. No luck with this one contrary to my 2014 which had zero problem and my wife's 2015 Juke which only had the transfer case leak and runs like a charm. This one is jinxed, argh!

·
Registered
728 Posts
They replaced one of the sensors that was replaced last Fall (bank 1 rear), cleaned up the connectors as water had seeped through and applied di-electric grease to avoid future problems. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Never had this with any of my cars before but I had the flashing light due to faulty ignition on a 2004 Passat 1.8T (twice) and once on a 2008 Impreza 2.5i.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you so very much.... I have a 2018 and my light just popped on today...... I have to set up an appointment. I will pay close attention to details. Thank you again for sharing.

·
Registered
728 Posts
The !"/$%? light is back on again.... I can't believe it! Dealer will retrieve fault code tomorrow morning. I suspect O2 sensor as they replaced 3 already in one year. They told me again to run on premium gas as I do mostly short trips but I'm not sure this would help.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts