Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey anyone who has the 2004 SE with Manual Auto Shift do you use it alot? How do you like it? I wanted to get the SE for the auto shift but I couldn't find one in the color combo I wanted and didn't want to wait 3 months to factory order one so when I found an SL equipped the way I wanted I settled for it. Im curious what components are different between the two. It's not a totally different transmission is it? Is it something that could be switched out in an SL model if you got ahold of the necessay parts?

·
Registered
170 Posts
2004 SE here. I don't use it much. it's kind of neat to have though, but it's still not that big of a big deal. I've owned a standard 5 speed Celica and Accord. So, I've driven standard trans for a good many years. The Murano's manual auto does not shift, nor does it perform, like an actual manual trans. You still get the smooth transition in speed and no shift shock.

Once in awhile I'll use it to take the engine up to the higher RPMs (4,000+) for some zippy acceleration. sometimes I use it to down shift going down a hill.

Sorry, can't answer any of your other tech questions.

·
4,601 Posts
Use your SL in Ds for a while and you'll forget you ever wanted to shift... I've even had mine in L from a stop to 70 mph! I'm often flipping between D and Ds when I'm in the sporting mood and it's truly awesome, as Ds gives you the responsiveness that shifting a manual and keeping the engine revs up in the powerband does, but it never has gaps and never a missed shift.

While manual shifting of the CVT is fun, if you're doing it to go fast, I'm sure Ds will pull ahead. After all, manual shifting defeats the point of having a CVT in the first place. But I agree, it's a lot of fun!

I just hope my next Murano has both... Come on Nissan, you can do it... It's just software!:D

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah Jaak I have been doing that, using the Ds and even the L sometimes. I just didnt know if the actual auto shift would give better performance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
2004 SE Here,

Anytime I am at a red light with someone who wants to race, I put it in manual mode. It is really faster if I use the "manual shifting" for the first couple of gears.

I came from to this from a 2K2 Mustang GT 5 Speed, this has know-where near the power when shifting but it does seem to make a difference.

I have tried both, just leaving it in D, and then shifting in manual mode. It seems that when it shifts it jumps ahead "sort-of", it is hard to explain, like a CVT torque pull right as it shifts. I have never driven an SL enough to compare ,so I would not know how the Ds works or if the manual shift_ is faster.

The reason I got the SE is because I was coming from a manual, and I didnt want to let it go completely. I test drove it, and put it in shift_ mode, and I was like this is so cool. I did however test drive a SL also and put it in Ds once. It is all personal preference

·
4,601 Posts
I'd like to have them both. I know exactly what you mean about the surge forward, like there's a torque multiplication, as I get this when shifting out of Ds to D with the power on...

Ds keeps the engine revs up, so it sits in the power band better. D will do this eventually, if you keep it floored. Shifting pulls it back and forth within this power band and while it will feel faster, you're not spending as much time right where the max power is, so I'd be shocked and surprised to find it faster than Ds. But it's a heck of a lot of fun, so that's why I want both!

It's all the same transmission, just different programming and a different configuration shifter. But, it's yet another thing to attract people into the SE... Can't give it all away in the SL!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had seen a post before where someone said that the s in Ds stood for sport but the manual actually refers to it as second gear

·
Registered
554 Posts
Have the SE Manumode. Like another poster, I came off a traditional manual (clutch/5 speed) on a Chevy Camaro. I miss shifting! Manumode AIN'T the same. Doesn't provide the feel for the car that manual did. But its not a bad compromise. I use it when I need a burst of power like climbing on-ramps or when I need more oomph while towing my bass boat. Otherwise, it doesn't get that much use. I like it, but I still wish the Mo came in a traditional manual - perhaps a six speed?

·
4,601 Posts
Interesting, I use Ds the same way. Ds if you look on the dash, S if you look on the console and yes, Nissan calls it Second, but in reality, it's a sport mode, because it works at any speed and changes the characteristics as such. But let's face it, I'm sure Nissan's lawyers don't want them to market it that way...

·
Registered
31 Posts
"6 speed" manu-matic in my girls SE MO is decent (doesn't compare to a real 6 speed - in my Z)...couple of the "gears" are too close....but just used the "gears" when decending down some steep grades (White Mtns in NH)...help save a bit of brake wear...plus I do like to use the manu-matic for more "spirited" driving...

·
4,601 Posts
Sounds just like Ds except I never have to choose a gear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts