Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well traveling late at night with no traffic I've hit 103 MPH... I've always been curious if there is a speed limitor on the MO... I've heard its 118 MPH.

The other night it was late and nobody was out so I tried for myself. I can say that the MO doesn't cut out at 118 MPH... I got up to 120 MPH. I did this with a slow acceleration to full throttle open... I would have gone faster but my exit was coming up in about a mile.

What as interesting was that when I let off the gas to slow... the RPMs which where about 4500 - 5000 PRM (I wasn't looking) surged up as I let off the gas and it felt like the MO want to go faster!

Weird... any ideas why that would have occured.

Here is a screen shot of my Garmin after the fact recording my max speed.

FYI - The MO's speedo is accurate up to 120 MPH... +/- 1 MPH.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Gonzo-

120 MPH!! Is that the new unofficial top-speed?

If you need a passenger to keep an eye on the tach, give me a call.:D

Too bad we can't tell what "gear" or ratio the CVT is in. I would like to know what ratio you were in at 120MPH

-njjoe

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Gonzo,

What software were you using on your Garmin? Would it work for the iPaq PDA?

Thanks,

-BIG

·
5,244 Posts
Gonzo,

I do not want to disappoint you, but Murano does have a speed limiter at 118 mph set to read pulses from the speed sensor. The trouble is that Murano speedo is off by approximately 2.8%, at list on my car. What would it mean on my Murano? I would have to drive 121.3 mph for governor to cut in!

So you still had 1.3 mph miles to go!

Congratulations anyway. I did 110 mph a couple of times. But not 118!

·
5,244 Posts
biggun said:
Gonzo,

What software were you using on your Garmin? Would it work for the iPaq PDA?

Thanks,

-BIG
It is garmin selfcontained unit and cannot be run on a palmtop computer. Sorry to disapoint you.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
KRIS,

The Garmin GPS and the MO's speedo both indicated 120 MPH. Are you saying both are wrong? That's a little hard to believe.

Also, the electronic speed limiter is based on axle rotations. It is entirely possible to exceed 118 MPH (on the GPS) if you have slightly oversized tires, which Gonzo may have.

-njjoe

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
NOW we know what GONzo means

Personally I believe the 120 :D

·
5,244 Posts
Gonzo,

I believe that GPS is accurate and you did go 120mph. In my car both speedo and odometer are showing error of approximately -2.8% as compared to GPS. So what i meant was that you did go 120 mph however the speed limiter did not cut in as car computer “thought” you were actually doing less.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
120mph is close enough to the 118mph such that I can believe speedometer error gave you a little extra room up top to break 118.

An impressive number for an SUV, considering many of the truck based SUVs (like the Ford Exploder) have governors at below 100mph!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The GPS and Speedo were +/- 1 MPH all they way up to at least 95 MPH.... then I was mainly looking outside. But now I'm curious... why did the car surge up as I let my foot off and about the limitor being off.

The next time out late I will try to get beyond 121.... its hard as the stretch I'm using is not very long and at 120 MPH things happen quick. Maybe I'll aim for the exit after the one I normally get off at.

I can't say it handled well... after all I was in the middlelane going straight. I should have reset the trip page on the GPS just to see how long it too to get up to that speed. I was only in D... I wasn't going for best time just top speed. Perhaps I'll also bring my other GPS that I use when I fly... would be interesting to compare the two GPSs to the MO's speedo.

I have the stock tires... I also was using the Garmin c320.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Gonzo-

What did you mean when you wrote - "I can't say it handled well... after all I was in the middlelane going straight" ?

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Gonzo said:
The GPS and Speedo were +/- 1 MPH all they way up to at least 95 MPH.... then I was mainly looking outside. But now I'm curious... why did the car surge up as I let my foot off and about the limitor being off.

The next time out late I will try to get beyond 121.... its hard as the stretch I'm using is not very long and at 120 MPH things happen quick. Maybe I'll aim for the exit after the one I normally get off at.

I can't say it handled well... after all I was in the middlelane going straight. I should have reset the trip page on the GPS just to see how long it too to get up to that speed. I was only in D... I wasn't going for best time just top speed. Perhaps I'll also bring my other GPS that I use when I fly... would be interesting to compare the two GPSs to the MO's speedo.

I have the stock tires... I also was using the Garmin c320.
However you do it, remember its not really worth your safely just to go 1mph faster. Don't feel like you have to break the record just for us! :p

Drive safely.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
njjoe said:
Gonzo-

What did you mean when you wrote - "I can't say it handled well... after all I was in the middlelane going straight" ?

-njjoe
At 120mph, he'd better be going straight! I think any swerving, and its a MO upside down on its roof on the side of the road.

·
5,244 Posts
I did 110+ in the Murano. Car handled quite well but it was stright line. I do not think I would like to go around even a slight bent with that speed. Murano is not a sports car. Sill it handles amazingly well.

I had my C320 in the air. Flying West in MD88 - 430mph, flying East - 580 mph. In B 767 it was >640 mph....interesting experience as the C320 is trying to snap to roads!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I had mine up to "about" 118 in the first months that I had it and posted here.
I was just using the speedometer and it was just shy of 120.
And at that speed in the Murano, you don't study the speedometer.
I found the car to be very, very light at that speed.
I wasn't comfortable until I got back down to about 100-105.
I think Gonz was saying that he didn't try any "handling" maneuvers. He held it perfectly straight and steady.
And I wouldn't recomend trying anything at that speed.
This CUV is very high with lots of room for air under it and it isn't particularly smooth under there.

I join the others in reminding Gonzo that we would rather have a healthy Gonzo than another mile an hour.

Homer

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Eric L. said:

...and its a MO upside down on its roof on the side of the road.
It's not like we haven't seen that before, on this forum. (Sorry, Enforcer:D )

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
hfelknor said:
I join the others in reminding Gonzo that we would rather have a healthy Gonzo than another mile an hour.

Homer
Could not agree more! Gonzo we need'ya here!;) Alive!:D

·
Registered
133 Posts
Gonzo Speed

Hmmm... I never tried to drive MO at it's speed limit. Guess I didn't think of it as a top-end speedster.:rolleyes:
I rode my 03 Yamaha FZ-1 at about 140+, tho! Then got rid of it! Must be my age creaping up on me. :mad:
Our 03 Civic Si can do better than "the ton" quite comfortably, particularly since we added the air intake. .:cool:
I guess I have to agree with Homer that a happy Gonzo is preferable to an injured Gonzo and wacked Murano. :) . Darrell.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks fellas... but I know you are really concerned about the MO more so than I. :2:

Yea at 120MPH I would hate to think what would happen if it even had to change lanes quickly. As I said it was a three lane highway with no one around. I'll probably never do it again in my life.

When I saw the cars about 1 mile ahead I start to slow... and with gentle/moderate braking that was just about the right distance to come down to their speed.

I've done high speed taxis during flight testing that were more scarry than the MO at 120MPH.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Just a reminder that...

MO's OEM tires are rated at 118 mph and "could" fail at speeds above that. I belive that is one of the reasons MO's speed has been capped at 118 mph.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts