Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aussie MAXIMA gets CVT for 2006!

The Australian model Maxima is getting the excellent CVT transmission for 2006 models and beyond. Along with other changes to this already excellent car. The 2006 model MAXIMA is being released in late March. I reckon this will move more MAXIMAs in Australia as once motorists test this great transmission in a large sedan they'll love it as we do in our MURANOs. We shall see!! :cool:

Do other members think the CVT would be good for the MAXIMA?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Toxic-

(Great screen name by the way.)

Do you know if the CVT destined for the Maxima is the same as the one in the Murano?

-njjoe

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
njjoe said:
Toxic-

(Great screen name by the way.)

Do you know if the CVT destined for the Maxima is the same as the one in the Murano?

-njjoe

Hi njjoe, yes the MAXIMA CVT is the same as the type that we get down under in the MURANO. The model with P, R, N, D and Six Speed 'Tiptronic' type manual mode. :29:

·
5,244 Posts
What about the engine? Is it still 260HP?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kris said:
What about the engine? Is it still 260HP?

Hi Kris, the V6 is as per rated power down here at 175Kw. same as Murano. The US Maxima is rated at 260Hp SAE which is around 240Hp DIN = 175Kw

·
5,244 Posts
I was hoping for 260HP engine. It would mean we can do some mods to the engine. No such luck...

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Good thinking Kris.

Unfortunately, it looks like 245-horsepower is the upper limit on our CVT for now.

-njjoe

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
njjoe said:
Good thinking Kris.

Unfortunately, it looks like 245-horsepower is the upper limit on our CVT for now.

-njjoe

-njjoe,

I would say that 245HP is the 'normal' power for the CVT but I am sure that it would have more in reserve and possibly another 25% plus. I am sure the CVT could be upgraded to handle more power. It is only a matter of cost!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
TOXIC said:

-njjoe,

I would say that 245HP is the 'normal' power for the CVT but I am sure that it would have more in reserve and possibly another 25% plus. I am sure the CVT could be upgraded to handle more power. It is only a matter of cost!
Toxic,

When you say it can be upgraded, I assume you mean upgraded by the CVT manufacturer not by the end-user? Right? If that is the case then I agree with you 100%.

Obviously Nissan and JATCO believe the CVT in it's current configuration is adequate to handle the 245HP over the long haul. I hope they're right. Unfortunately no one knows how much headroom is available to support mods to the engine. That's a shame.

All trannys, regardless of type, will eventually fail if overloaded. I would love to see what would happen if you overloaded the MO's CVT to failure (in a test cell of course, not in my car). I'd like to know what fails first - the belt? the pulleys? Or maybe a more conventional part like a gear or shaft? Too bad JATCO doesn't share that type of info.

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
I do believe Murano CVT can handle more than 245HP. But it may shorten, and will shorten its life. Also given the cost of CVT repairs I would not mess with engine or the CVT.

CVT cannot be "upgraded" unless JATCO decide to redesign it.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
If the Aussie Maxima makes 260hp SAE (which is what the US uses) then that means the CVT can handle 260hp. Keep in mind the ability for the CVT to handle differnet levels of torque might be something as simple as the computer programming. From what I understand, the CVT carefully modulates fluid pressure (at a very high level) to keep everything in there lubricated, and this is under computer control.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I hope Nissan finds a way to better insolate CVT/Engine assemblies so to minimize the vibration and/or noise we can feel and hear due to low engine RPM at low speeds and high load....

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Eric L. said:
If the Aussie Maxima makes 260hp SAE (which is what the US uses) then that means the CVT can handle 260hp. Keep in mind the ability for the CVT to handle differnet levels of torque might be something as simple as the computer programming. From what I understand, the CVT carefully modulates fluid pressure (at a very high level) to keep everything in there lubricated, and this is under computer control.
There is no mention of the Maxima getting a CVT on Nissan's Aussie website. Regardless, the Aussie Maxima generates 170 KW which equates to 228 horsepower (SAE). In Australia, the Maxima (170 KW) has less power than the Murano (172 KW).

The oil in the CVT provides three functions: actuation, cooling, and lubrication. The high pressure oil circuit in the CVT is used to generate the clamping force for the variable diameter pulleys and actuate the various valves, clutches and solenoids.

On a side note... When going over the Aussie specs I noticed their MO comes standard with 24 hour roadside assistance!

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
njjoe said:
When going over the Aussie specs I noticed their MO comes standard with 24 hour roadside assistance!

-njjoe
That is because of engine HP reduction!

:22:

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Roadside assistance is no big deal. For $40 you can AAA for a year, and thats better than the no name local services that the dealers contract as part of a manufacturer's roadside assistance.

·
Registered
763 Posts
FYI more hp through a CVT.
The 2007 Lexus GS 450h will have a 292 hp/267 ft lbs - 3.5 V6 powering its CVT.
The rear wheels are getting a 47 hp elec motor & will do 0-60 5.2 secs, faster than their V8!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
KSmurano said:
FYI more hp through a CVT.
The 2007 Lexus GS 450h will have a 292 hp/267 ft lbs - 3.5 V6 powering its CVT.
The rear wheels are getting a 47 hp elec motor & will do 0-60 5.6 secs.
The Toyota CVT in the Prius/Highlander/RX (and now GS450h) uses a different concept than the Murano. While the Nissan version uses pulleys and a metal belt, Toyota uses a system called a Power Split Device. The electric motors and gas engine are connected to a planetary gear set which is always engaged, and there is no shifting. Toyota's CVT is not limited by belt strength.

The Murano is still the most powerful "Van Doorne type" CVT on the market today I think.

That said, the new hybrid GS should be fantastic - ~350hp combined and an estimated 27-28 mpg overall.

And for those who don't know, Nissan is coming out with a hybrid version of the 2007 Altima, set to launch quite soon. It basically uses components licensed from Toyota, and the 2.5L I4 makes a combined 200hp. Should be an interesting matchup to the new hybrid Camry with similar specs.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Eric L. said:

That said, the new hybrid GS should be fantastic - ~350hp combined and an estimated 27-28 mpg overall.

I'll bet you $1.00 that it will not get over 22 MPG.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Gonzo said:

I'll bet you $1.00 that it will not get over 22 MPG.
Well the way you drive at 120mph, it might not even get 12 MPG! :2:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts