Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm driving a 2005 MO, and shipped my MO overseas to Germany. I'll work here for a couple years.
There is no highway speed limit in some areas.
But unfortunatly my MO is limited to 180km/h which I very soon found out. Another thread confirmed that this is limited via the ECU.
Now my question is, can anybody help me with an adress or link or any information how to get rid of this limitation. Well I know the MO is no race car, but it's kind of anoying if other SUV's overtake you and you know for sure you have more Power under the hood.

Please HELP !!!!!!!

·
5,244 Posts
Christian,

180km/h is a lot for Murano. I do not think it is very stable at this speed. But I know your feelings! Shall I say - been there, seen there! I was passed by F150 doing 160km/h on an autobahn near Hockenheim!

I have not seen anybody remove the speed limiter in their Muranos. I am sure it is possible. Just word or warning - the tires are rated 118mph.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the warning. I'm aware of the tire rating.
I'll be taking care of that as soon as I have a solution for that pain of a speed limiter.
At the speed of 180 Km/h the Murano still feels well under control, even the brakes seem very reliable at this speed.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
In "the good old days", you could just clip the speed signal wire to the ECU. Now the ECU needs that data for more than just the speed limiter. The only way to remove the limiter is a piggyback module that plugs in between the ECU and wiring harness, or an ECU reflash. To my knowledge neither is publicly available, but if you have the cash, TechnoSquareInc could make you a custom ECU flash. You might be talking in the neighbourhood of $1000 Can for that, but you should ask them anyway.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Never heard this...are all the US Muranos limited???
The EU version is not and I don't agree with Kris about the feeling at high speed. The car goes very nice also above 200 km/h on the motorway (255/50R19 Pirelli Scorpion Zero). Before I drove BMW 525 diesel and I like the Murano at high speed more.
But it's true that the EU version is more adjusted to higher speed in Europe!!! I think you know that?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Alex said:
Never heard this...are all the US Muranos limited???
The EU version is not and I don't agree with Kris about the feeling at high speed. The car goes very nice also above 200 km/h on the motorway (255/50R19 Pirelli Scorpion Zero). Before I drove BMW 525 diesel and I like the Murano at high speed more.
But it's true that the EU version is more adjusted to higher speed in Europe!!! I think you know that?
Car & Driver featured a 2003 Murano in a comparison test which indicated a goverved top speed of 124mph on an SE AWD.

That said, my Murano felt as stable at 115mph as my 02 Maxima. ;)

·
5,244 Posts
f23a

Nissan manual says speed governed at 118mph. But there is always possibility of an error so one may even go as fast as 120 mph. But this is not that important.

I think I took my Murano (FWD, SL) to 110 mph or so. And I do not think I would like to go any faster. Or around the bend for that matter! Murano is not very stable at that speeds. But this is my opinion.

Last summer I drove MB C-class at 200 kph (124 mph) and it felt stable as a rock! SO I do understand how it feels to drive fast. By the same token I would not have any problems taking the FX to let’s say 130 mph. The suspension is different and this car is built for speed. And it feels.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
As most people know, just because a car can do 120 MPH it doesn't mean that it should be driven at 120 MPH.

-njjoe

·
Registered
89 Posts
njjoe,

I think almost everyone has at least once tested the top speed of his car (in our country is so), but Murano is built for Europe with different suspension (harder) there is an extra oil cooler (you can't have fog lights on our MOs because of this) and as it was explained because of the higher speed on our highways. There are about 300 changes regarding US MOs.
I pushed mine once to 220 km/h (about 137mph) and there are no problems with the car at this speed...I agree you must avoid going around bends with higher speed.
And everybody remembers Murano because of this...it is not usual that a big SUV overtakes almost every passenger car.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Alex-

I did not realize there were that many enhancements made to the EU-version of the MO. I am envious. :D

-njjoe

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Not all changes are enhancements.
The Euro Murano has a detuned engine putting out 231 HP and 235 Lbs of TQ.
The roadtesters all seem to get a 0-62 time between 8.2 and 8.9 seconds and 124 MPH top speed.

Homer

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
hfelknor said:
Not all changes are enhancements.
The Euro Murano has a detuned engine putting out 231 HP and 235 Lbs of TQ.
Homer
Not to mention better fuel economy. The Nissan-UK website lists 16.4 MPG for the "Urban Cycle", 23.0 MPG for the "Combined Cycle", and 29.7 MPG for the "Extra-urban Cycle".

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
European Muranos have H-rated tires. The tires are limited to 130mph.

·
5,244 Posts
Limit is one thing and top speed 9drag limited) another.

I still think taking Murano above 100 mph feels unstable. And I would not advise it to anyone.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I max out the MO at 121 MPH.... I can say don't be fooled. Any car feels stable on a smooth straight road. At that speed hitting the brakes hard or even a slight sharp movement of the wheel can have undersirable effects. I won't be up in that region again any time soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi,
don't mark the MO as a slow moving only for straight highways build car. He's a crossover and doing a very good job. If somebody dosen't feel comfortable at higher speeds, dosen't mean that's the fault of the car maybe he is just not used to those speeds. If I drive my company car through Germany with most of the time over 200 Km/h (for hours). You just get another feeling for the speed and what the car really can do and what not. Well my MO is only doing his 180km/h, but I can tell you in these long nice curves (if you know the mountains around Kassel you know what I'm taking about) he's running like on rails.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Christian,
I completely agree with you. You must be used to high speeds and in Germany is this not a problem.
If you'll have the opportunity to test drive european MO, try it. Then you can tell us about the differences as you have the US version.
Safe driving!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I agree with you... if you are used to it great. But I still stand than if you drive that fast in the MO and need to make a fairly agressive manuever you as in for a head ache.

Did you every try the old "hey driving on snow is easy... now let me break hard and swerve... wooooaaaaa... what just happened?"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok,
I found a solution for the Vmax limitation. The ECU can be modified by a company in Germany in the Stuttgart area. So if somebody has moved to Germany with his MO and dosen't like to be restricted. The following link takes You to a chip tuning company. They can give You 192KW out of 180KW / +7km/h Vmax / +14% more Torque.
With -0.5l/100km fuel economy in the city. Well I believe that once I see it.
www.bhp-motorsport.de

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Christian31269-

No offense, but that is not a solution to the max speed issue. All you are getting is a 4 MPH increase. That is hardly significant. Gonzo can accomplish that with an extra coat of wax and removing the fuel tank shield. :2:

I checked out the website. They mod the Nissan 350 "Z" chip and reportedly increase horsepower by 6% and top speed by 18.6 MPH. Unfortunately they did not have the MO listed on their comparison charts.

They will also increase the top speed of a Ferrari F430 from 196 to 200 MPH. That is what I call a "must have" upgrade. No use having an F430 if you can't touch the double-century mark driving down I-95. :4:

-njjoe

1 - 20 of 38 Posts