Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test drove a "Pirhana" (my SO's name for the Mo) this morning. Was ready to buy. Sales person says that the one that I'd found in New Orleans (the one that started me thinking about actually buying) is no longer available.

He searched for Mos configured the way I want them and found one in the right color (pewter, which doesn't show dirt and pollen) in Little Rock -- over 500 miles away. Found silver and gold ones in Houston (about 300 miles away). There are two black ones less than an hour away, but I don't want a Mo bad enough to get black or white.

Nothing coming in w/in 45 days is right, either. Ordering would take 90 days, and then you are getting close enough to model year change to be concerned.

Have a buyer for my Xterra, but she's in no hurry and might wait.

Dealer has one exactly like a I want except it doesn't have traction control, but I want traction control.

Phooey.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Did you mean "piranha"...

the dreaded flesh eating fish in amazon?

:2:

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SugarRushMurano,

Yeah, that! I googled the misspelling that I used and got several hits so just used that. Thanks for the correction.

Talk about ironic or strange. The Mo that I wanted that was at another dealership was actually transferred to the local dealership and sold from there two days ago. The sales manager said that the buyer didn't even want traction control.

Hmmm. So why did the dealership have a vehicle with traction control transferred over for a buyer who didn't care about it when the dealership had an identical vehicle without traction control on their lot?

They're trying to check on the gold one in Houston for me. Would cost an extra $100 to have it driven here (300 miles). Am not going to say yea or nay until I know how many miles it has on it.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Dij said:
SugarRushMurano,

Yeah, that! I googled the misspelling that I used and got several hits so just used that. Thanks for the correction.

Talk about ironic or strange. The Mo that I wanted that was at another dealership was actually transferred to the local dealership and sold from there two days ago. The sales manager said that the buyer didn't even want traction control.

Hmmm. So why did the dealership have a vehicle with traction control transferred over for a buyer who didn't care about it when the dealership had an identical vehicle without traction control on their lot?

They're trying to check on the gold one in Houston for me. Would cost an extra $100 to have it driven here (300 miles). Am not going to say yea or nay until I know how many miles it has on it.
It sounds like the dealer is willing to say whatever it takes for you to want to buy a car from them. But words are cheap. I think you should deal with another dealer that actually has the vehicle in stock. Shopping between dealers is the best way for you to get the best price (ask one dealer to "beat" the other dealers price - dealers hate it when another dealerships gets their business).

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eric,

Unfortunately, the only dealership in the state that has the exact vehicle I want only has black and I do not want a black vehicle. Going out of state to buy one from another dealer is not a particularly good option either because I'm going to do an in-and-out with my Xterra and that will work only with a local dealer.

This dealer first said 4.5% over invoice on the phone but I immediately said no to that. Then he said $500 over invoice. I said I had a quote for $299 over invoice plus tax, title, license, and no fees and left it at that.

When I discovered that the one I wanted that had been sold had been transferred to this dealership, I called to find out what was going on. I talked to some sales manager who asked me to make an offer and tried to pin me down. I told him that if he could find the vehicle I want I'd pay $299 over invoice plus tax, title, license and NO FEES. He got all offended ("We get close to sticker on these!") but asked if I'd buy the car if he found it. It said that I would, but I would be extremely upset if he "found" the one that I'd been interested in.

A little while ago, I got back on the phone with one of the two internet sales people. The gold one in Houston had been transferred from San Antonio, so if it were transferred here, it would have 700 miles or so on it. Too much. There are several silver/charcoal in Houston, but charcoal is too close to black south Louisiana in the summer so the sales rep searched again and found a pewter/cafe latte in north TX. I'm sure we found that one this morning but ruled it out thinking that it was too far away and that we could surely find something closer to home. Turns out it's not that much farther from here than Houston so it might work.

This one was delivered this week to a small dealership (so small that it was closed when she called this evening) so it probably has almost no miles on it. Sales rep will call Monday and find out whether they are willing to trade and if they are willing have the trade driven up. If not, it's $700 to trailer and it's not worth that.

Approved for the low interest rate, have my Xterra sold, now we have to find the car!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hang in there, Dij!

I had a specific Murano in mind when I went shopping for mine. I had done a ton of research on the internet, most of it on the Nissan website searching for the exact vehicle I wanted. The closest dealership that had the one I wanted (well, everything but the cafe latte leather interior) was about 250 miles away. I took the printout from the Nissan website (which included the VIN number) and had the local dealership contact the remote dealership to make the trade. My car was here the next day! Yes, it had 250 miles on it that I hadn't put on it myself, but I haven't had any problems with it as a result. At the time I got my car, I paid about $500 over invoice, with no fee for transporting the car up here.

Good luck! I know you'll love your Murano once you get it! :2:

Jeff

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Dij, .. 2 suggestions:

NUmber 1:
One weekend, go to the nearest dealer in another state to get the car, then drive it back. If you can get a good deal (under invoice) by doing this and get the car you want, why not?
Ask a a friend (maybe gf) to go with you. It will be fun.
It is not uncommon in this forum the murano is being sold under invoice. I got my SL AWD $1000 under ($700 money value and $200ish service discount coupon book). But, mine is the end of year model (meaning: i bought a 2003 in nov 2003). So dealer must be desperate in selling it to me.

NUmber 2:
Assuming you are not going to compromise with the options you want in your -coming-murano, i think what you should do is close your eyes and pay for the transporting of the vehicle on trailer bed. Of course, if you dont want to pay the $700, then you pay the local dealer to get it here. Try to negotiate the transfer price, maybe even you can get it free, it is better

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SugarRush,

The problem with buying the car out of state (and I'd have to drive to Houston or Longview, the same places the cars are now) is that I could not do the in-and-out with my Xterra.

If I sell my Xterra outright, I have to pay sales tax (9%) on the entire purchase price of the Mo. However, if I do an in-and-out with a Louisiana dealer (preferably one close to home since the buyer of my Xterra will have to meet me there), I pay sales tax only on the difference between the Xterra and the Mo. That will amount to a $900-$1000 difference, which is not insignificant.

In order to make your suggestion work, I'd have to get the car for substantially below invoice, inconvenience a friend for a weekend, and take a longish road trip (which would require that I find a dog sitter for my geriatric dogs, who are on a special fresh-food diet).

I'm going to hope that the car in Longview is available and that the dealership is willing to accept a swap vehicle that will be driven up there. If not, I may see if the Xterra buyer can wait until late June or early July and order one.

If I can get the new vehicle for $299 over invoice plus $100 for the driver to swap cars, I will be happy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Did you try Ray Brandt Nissan?

It sounds like you are in New Orleans. Thats where I got mine from and the internet sales rep told me he finds cars for people at other dealerships and gets em in.

BTW 25.6 for 2003 SL, HID, Stereo, Sunroof and Leather 8000 miles.

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
folgersoldier,

I'm in Baton Rouge. I've searched dealer inventory w/in 100 miles and the dealer has searched inventory from TX all the way to the east coast, including what is due in within the next 45 days. The vehicle I want is not available in LA. If black were acceptable, there are two in Hammond. There may be a white one or two in LA, but there is nothing in any other color (SL) w/traction control and touring but no other big-ticket option. Traction control is apparently not popular down here.

·
MOtivated!
50 Posts
Dij,
I can sympathize! After a week or two, my dealer found a fit for me 200+ miles away in Virginia. He was willing to drive it here, but I didn't want the mileage on it. My other option was to pay $700 to have it trucked home. No thanks. I will take it as a sign and hold out for one closer, or even a 2005. My parents' advice: be patient and make sure you get exactly what you want - finance rates might go down (or might not go up), I might like the 2005s better, I will have more money saved if I wait - there are plus sides to holding out. That made me feel better. Your're spending too much money to compromise!

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DoItFun,

If I could have found one that was 200 miles away or less, I'd have taken it. Unfortunately, the nearest ones were more like 350 miles away, and the best match already had a couple or three hundred miles because it had been transferred from one dealership to another.

You might get lucky and have your dealer find one that's coming in and could be diverted (ordered for another dealer, but not presold and could be shipped to your dealer instead), or maybe find a "spare" like my dealer found for me. I got lucky with that one! Those don't seem to show up in the regular inventory. I was shocked when the sale manager walked in with the printout on the almost-perfect vehicle because we'd spent so many hours trying to find one.

I'm hoping the financing will stay low. I have 3.85% lined up if it doesn't, but I'm thinking there's a chance that it might go down this coming month. Several months from now, I'm not sure, but I agree with your parents that you should get what you want. For me, this is a lot of money to spend on a vehicle.

·
MOtivated!
50 Posts
Dij,
I have good news - mostly for me, but maybe for you, too. My dealer called and said that the rates will be the same for April. Whew. Are you psychic? Because my dealer found one that was being sent somewhere else and is getting it diverted to his dealership, so it will have like 2 miles on it. It's the car I was looking for - Pewter/Latte SE, Touring, VDC and Nav. I didn't really want the nav, but I have heard good things about it on these forums, so maybe I can talk them down to invoice and go for it.:4: It should arrive in 10 days. :2:

Question, on such a "diverted shipment deal, are the finances pretty much the same as the dealer selling one off his lot? That is, will he get the holdback? Since I will need to do some renegotiating because of the Nav option, I want to make sure I know how low I can go. I would like to shoot for invoice.

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DoItFun,

I knew there was something else I wanted to check on today! (I'm supposed to get notification today whether a pre-proposal for a grant has been successful.) You reminded me that it's the interest rates. Thanks for the good news.

The vehicle you want is what I was looking for until I decided I wanted gold rather than pewter (pewter does look cleaner than all the other colors), except for the nav system (and I want SL instead of SE). I drive about 8,000 miles a year and almost all are in familiar territory so the nav has no appeal for me. I can see how it would be a great tool for people who drive in unfamiliar places.

I'll spend money on things that I'll get benefit from, but the nav system, entertainment system, and chrome wheels didn't make my list although I know lots of people get them.

Congratulations on your new buggy! You'll get yours before I get mine.

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DoItFun,

I didn't answer the part about the finances because I don't know. If it's being diverted, it's probably the same as your dealer ordering it and having it delivered rather than making a swap with another dealership.

I paid above invoice, but if it's true that the salespeople get that (or some of that), I am happy to pay it. The two internet sales people have worked very hard getting this vehicle for me. They have been diligent and patient and have constantly assured and reassured me that there will be no tricks pulled. (We'll see, but they definitely didn't try any of the standard sales tricks.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts