1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From thecarconnection.com:
--

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enthusiasts/Future_Cars/Ford.S283.A8367.html

Rumors a few months ago that Lincoln is killing off the Aviator SUV launched in 2002 were premature. The Aviator, built off the Ford Explorer truck chassis, is giving way by 2006 to an Aviator built off the Ford Fusion car platform that is also the underpinnings of the Mazda6. The more car-like ride is meant to better compete with Cadillac SRX, Lexus RX330, and Infiniti FX45, and to distinguish it from the Explorer-based Mercury Mountaineer sold in the same dealerships as the Aviator.

Attachments

·
Registered
763 Posts
It looks very interesting to me, but it depends on performance & price.
I see a little MO in the rear quarters.

Being my Navigator is the 1st Lincoln I've ever owned, I must say the dealership treats me Right.
Mine didn't have a front license plate holder when I bought it & they gave me a loaner car the day they put it on!
Time will tell, but they are really impressing me so far.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Another MO-esque crossover - it looks alot like the Mazda crossover tha's rumored to comeout, and I guess they will share parts...

I think all crossover are gonna look the same now.. at least we can say Nissan had it first!

·
Registered
747 Posts
look from front

Heres how the concept looks from the front. For some reason this thing brings the Chrysler Pacifica to mind (for me anyway) :

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Ha! I like the license plate.

The side windows seem kind of short with the high side panels. I noticed this on the Dodge Magnum as well, and when inside it had the feel of a tank with little slits for windows. I didn't like it at all on the Magnum. Wonder if it's the same issue on this.

The rear pillars seem significantly larger than the MO, possibly creating a relatively large blind spot?

The rear window is interesting. Helps with visibility I'm sure, but looks a little bizzar. One of the things I don't like about SUVs (including our beloved MO) is that it's hard to judge where your rear bumper is without a camera system. This might help that problem quite a bit, especially if you don't have anyone sitting in the back seat and you fold down that seat so you have the correct angle...

I'll have to try this out once it's available just for ****s and grins. I really appreciate the trend that is happening now with fewer huge monsters and more smaller SUVs. Perhaps we can finally convince the idiots driving the H2 that their POS should be traded in for a more reasonable vehicle...

·
Registered
301 Posts
It doesn't excite me either. I like the Subaru's Tribeca more.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Ugh what an ugly vehicle. I guess some might like it because its about exciting as a Lincoln gets, but the strange tiny rear wing window, and the "everyone can see inside the car" rear windshield....doesn't do it for me.

If this is built off the Mazda 6 chassis, expect a wheezy underpowered Ford Duratech 3L V6 in it. Maybe even with a CVT like the Five Hundred.

Autoblog reports that the Duratech 35 (a 3.5L V6) from Ford is still about 2 years away.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Aviator

I don't like it either. I only posted the last two pics to compliment the pic that Sugarrush posted.

·
4,601 Posts
:16: :1zhelp:

I'd take it over an Element.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I think it looks just fine.
The Murano, contrary to popular opinion around here, is not the most beautiful vehicle to all.

And the Murano was most certainly not the first to "style" the SUV.
The Hyundai and the Lexus were easily the first.

I DO see an acceptance of some of the Murano styling cues that I thought would not catch on.
The upswept rear windows and subsequent "low IQ" wide panels is certainly one I had hoped would not catch on.

And since the Murano got away with an atrociously tacky grill, others are trying it too.

The key is, can they look reasonably good, perhaps offer more reliability (Mostly an Alternator issue.....), and give the performance of the Murano.
I am continually amazed, not at WHAT the Murano can do, but at the EASE and SMOOTHNESS that the Murano brings to the game.
It would be very difficult to go back to a clunky SUV after the Whisper quiet, supremely confident Murano.

Just a few of my OPINIONS.

:1:

Homer

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
I feel like of like Homer. I don't think the Aviator looks that bad. A little different, some good things, some bad. I'm interested enough that I'll check it out when it's available, but not for purchase. I just can't see myself driving a Lincoln until I'm at least 70 years old... ;)

I hated the looks of the Murano at first. Loved the interior, which made me accept the exterior styling. It's grown on me, though, especially now that I got rid of that really annoying "clown smile" plastic wanna-be-chrome grill (I was actually thinking of painting one or two of the 'teeth' black to make it look like it was missing teeth, but figured the wife would kill me).

This Lincoln concerns me with 2 things: High side panels, making it claustrophobic, and it's a Lincoln. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I think the chrome line up the windshield and over the roof is yukky.
The lines are nice though....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Copy Cat

Like Mercedes, looks like everyone is copying the Murano. But none can get it right, unless it's a Murano. :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just too boring. Looks like a Pacifica from the front (which I happily call a station wagon) and like the MDX from the side. Acura has done such a great job with the restyles on the TL and RL. I can't believe a new MDX hasn't been launched...

·
Registered
545 Posts
I liked the side view. But looking at the the rear of the car, all that seems to be missing is a casket and an undertaker. I'll stick with the MO. I even like the Subaru Benigner styling better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts