Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got myself into one helluva mess and am hoping that someone from the forum might be able to offer some advice.

So a few days ago my mechanic discovered an oil leak and determined that the gaskets needed changing. In order to get to the gaskets, all the engine connectors have to be first disconnected. There were probably 20 or more different connectors. So after changing the gaskets, my mechanic tried putting everything back together only to realize that he couldn't quite remember where all the connectors belonged.

After an hour or so of second guessing the original location of all the different plugs, we started the car only to hear the engine making louder than usual noises. It was also shaking and trembling with dark smoke from exhaust. I tried driving it around the block but it wouldn't go faster than 50 km/h (about 32mph).

We figured that we had to take it in to Nissan to have their diagnostic computer take a look at it, but after waiting all day they called me at work to say they're 3 weeks backlogged (because of the corona virus), and probably won't have time to take a look at my car until next week.

My mechanic thinks he probably just reconnected a plug in the wrong position. What do you guys think?

Thanks for your help!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,268 Posts
You left out one major but incredibly critical item: what gaskets??

But - if it's running and not leaking, then it may be generally correct, but there's likely something with the ignition connections.

Doesn't your mechanic have reference shop manuals? Most shops have a computer database of them. You can definitely download one for your Murano at Nicoclub.com. Search for it there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You left out one major but incredibly critical item: what gaskets??

But - if it's running and not leaking, then it may be generally correct, but there's likely something with the ignition connections.

Doesn't your mechanic have reference shop manuals? Most shops have a computer database of them. You can definitely download one for your Murano at Nicoclub.com. Search for it there.
Oops sorry about that. We had the following gasket replaced (both of them):

·
Registered
622 Posts
Oops sorry about that. We had the following gasket replaced (both of them):
Your mechanic misconnected either adjacent ignition coil connectors or fuel injector connectors (if he even disconnected these). Since the engine actually runs, it's probably just two. Hook up a scan tool and see which cylinders are misfiring and he'll know which connectors.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
There is a link in the forum for the service manual. Follow it and see what he did wrong. It’s for the rocker cover gasket. You would have benefited from changing both rocker cover and the gaskets to make sure you have a new gasket for the plug seal. eBay has a set for $55 shipped.

You also need to put some ultra grey on the corners of those gaskets. Do you know if he did that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your mechanic misconnected either adjacent ignition coil connectors or fuel injector connectors (if he even disconnected these). Since the engine actually runs, it's probably just two. Hook up a scan tool and see which cylinders are misfiring and he'll know which connectors.
Thanks for the info! From the short time I observed, I do remember him disconnecting all the connectors you mentioned. A question about the adjacent ignition coils: does it matter which coil goes into which cylinder?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a link in the forum for the service manual. Follow it and see what he did wrong. It’s for the rocker cover gasket. You would have benefited from changing both rocker cover and the gaskets to make sure you have a new gasket for the plug seal. eBay has a set for $55 shipped.

You also need to put some ultra grey on the corners of those gaskets. Do you know if he did that?
Thanks for the advice! I did find the service manual, it's pretty comprehensive and my mechanic doesn't speak English (we're in Austria and my mechanic is Polish ;)), but we'll figure it out. Yes, he did apply liquid silicone on the gaskets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a misfire after I changed the rocker covers, gaskets, blow by, pcv, plugs and coils on my Murano. It turned out to be a disconnected fuel injector which I forgot to plug back in. My $40 US scan tool told me which cylinder but I'm pretty sure you can see each one without taking anything apart.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
622 Posts
Thanks for the info! From the short time I observed, I do remember him disconnecting all the connectors you mentioned. A question about the adjacent ignition coils: does it matter which coil goes into which cylinder?
The ignition coils themselves are all identical so it doesn't matter if those got put into different cylinders. But, the engine has a specific firing order for the cylinders so if the connectors are not plugged in to the correct coils/fuel injectors then the cylinder won't have combustion. That dark smoke coming from the exhaust is unburned fuel, which likely means the affected cylinders are getting fuel, but not spark. Your mechanic really should be able to figure this out himself, otherwise you really need to find a new mechanic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The ignition coils themselves are all identical so it doesn't matter if those got put into different cylinders. But, the engine has a specific firing order for the cylinders so if the connectors are not plugged in to the correct coils/fuel injectors then the cylinder won't have combustion. That dark smoke coming from the exhaust is unburned fuel, which likely means the affected cylinders are getting fuel, but not spark. Your mechanic really should be able to figure this out himself, otherwise you really need to find a new mechanic.
Thanks for the info! Actually I just wanted to inform myself before going back to this mechanic, so whatever he tells me, at least I'll have a second and third opinion at hand.

Today I picked up my car from the Nissan dealership and drove very slowly home. After parking in the driveway I discovered a puddle of oil dripping from the smoking engine. I'm guessing the problem has to do with a leaky gasket.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Dealer service dept. usually let you know if there are some major issues with your car like smoking or obvious oil leak before giving it back to you.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Dealer service dept. usually let you know if there are some major issues with your car like smoking or obvious oil leak before giving it back to you.
... not in Europe, apparently. Although the OP did say the dealership told him it would be a week before they could look at the car--he probably didn't wait.

Nevertheless, his experience with professional mechanics over there reminds me of an old joke about heaven and hell in Europe that has different iterations. One of them is this:

In Heaven, the police are British, the chefs are Italian, the mechanics are German, the lovers are French, and the government is run by the Swiss.

In Hell, the police are German, the chefs are British, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, and the government is run by the Italians!!

·
Super Moderator
8,268 Posts
If ANY mechanic returns a vehicle to you with oil dripping fast enough to generate a puddle, you should probably never go there again. I find it hard to imagine any excuse for that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So just a quick follow-up. Just came back from the mechanic, it turns out that two cylinders were misfiring because the plugs were misconnected. This caused the engine to vibrate so violently that the engine coolant hose came loose, which was what I mistook for oil. This in turn was what caused all that smoke. The gaskets were actually still tightly sealed.

So all he had to do was switch the two plugs and reconnect the coolant hose. Still took a few hours but I'm happy to say that everything's back to normal and I didn't have to pay for any of the repairs. I'm SOOOO glad I decided to retrieve my car from the Nissan dealership as they charge 200 euros an hour, which would have meant a repair bill of almost 1000 euros just to switch two plugs.

Thanks everyone for all your help, I really learned a lot from this experience!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
That's not it. Its usually the plug seal that has gone bad like the gasket he replaced. This is what I mentioned on my earlier post needing to replace the entire rocker cover to get all the plug seals replaced because its built in. Lame design but here is the cheapest alternative ...Valve Cover & Gaskets for 02-09 NISSAN Altima Maxima Murano Quest I35 3.5L⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ | eBay If you keep your murano long enough, you find yourself needing to get it. Fouled plugs due to oil will eventually cause issues.

·
Super Moderator
8,268 Posts
I wonder how many quarts of oil one would have to put in to reach the top of the cylinder head? It's time to get a new mechanic dude.
Agreed. There is ZERO chance that too much oil caused this. It would have damaged the engine if it were seriously overfull.

I do not trust that mechanic AT ALL.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts