Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was joking around in another thread about moding the micro filter with an air freshener. Well I decided to do it.

The trick is to use a freshener that is less the 1/4 inch high and to attach it to the TOP of the filter without interfering with the vent control doors. You could put it on the bottom of the filter but run the risk if having it drop into the open fan unit if it were to come off.

I have always used this particular air freshener brand because the seem to last for 6-months to a year. You could use X-Mass trees if you want to. Anything as long as it doesn't cover to much surface of the filter or sit to high.

There is a band that goes down the middle of the filter. Simply Create holes or use existing ones in the freshener of your choice and Zip-tie them to the center band.

Now when the car is moving or when the HVAC is on your MO will smell "Super Fresh :)

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
lOVE IT.

mIGHT EVEN DO THAT ONE FOR THE NEXT OWNER.

G

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Nothing personal FastEddy, but IMHO I never use freshners in the car. I can stand that christmas tree smell.

I don't seem to have an issue with odor. 99% of the time the car is on fresh air and I use my wife's car to pickup the Thai takeout. :p

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Forgot to ask what the brand of air freshner?

G

·
Registered
114 Posts
Silly question

and I am sure it is in the manual but where is the microfilter ??

·
Registered
114 Posts
Re: Re: Micro Filter Mod.

ekka said:
Silly question

and I am sure it is in the manual but where is the microfilter ??
found it

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used a Medo air freshener stock number UTS-523 Vanilla. Bar code # 075847065239

I googled it for 20 minutes and couldn't find it online. I got mine at K-Mart several years ago. I don't see them around often so when I do I jest get 4-5 of them and am set for a few years. I like this style because they las a long time. When I first open them they are to strong for the first week or so but after they they last a good 6-8 months. I have seen them at K-Mart, Wallgreens, Pep Boys, and Wally World.

·
Registered
781 Posts
If you wanted something less air freshener like - you could probably also use a dryer sheet.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Gonzo said:
Nothing personal FastEddy, but IMHO I never use freshners in the car. I can stand that christmas tree smell.

I don't seem to have an issue with odor. 99% of the time the car is on fresh air and I use my wife's car to pickup the Thai takeout. :p

Gonzo - You can choose from a number of other scents on those xmas trees... don't limit yourself to a the pine tree scent.... I'm sure there's a fresh air scent out there. :2:

Thai food (which I love) I can stand, what is bad is the lingering fast food smell. Glad I cut down on that.:)

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Of course the easiest solution would be to replace the existing micro filter with the new improved charcoal filter from Nissan.

New Mirco Filter from Nissan

Not sure why the images show a squished filter but it does list the part number.

Agree.... good Thai smell is OK.... the day after Thai smell in car is bad. :p

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Gonzo said:
... good Thai smell is OK.... the day after Thai smell in car is bad.
I did not drive my MO for three days following food delivery (Indian) to a party.....Oh man....I could have used this mod then....:D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Agree.... good Thai smell is OK.... the day after Thai smell in car is bad. :p
LOL. I know how you all feel. If we bring a doggie bag home in the MO it has to be sorta held outside an open window or half way out the sunroof. Such new car dorks we are...we want that new leather smell to last a looong time.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also bring home exotic food in my MO. For me its not the food smell from bringing it home, its the drive after I have eaten it.

The dryer sheets are a great idea. After a bit of thought rolling / folding one up and zipping it to the center band would work well. I wonder how long it would last?

You could also get a perfume test pad from one of the stores my wife shops at and add a drop or two of your favorite Smell. Again, I don't know how long that would last.

There are all sorts of possibilities.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Gonzo said:
Of course the easiest solution would be to replace the existing micro filter with the new improved charcoal filter from Nissan.

New Mirco Filter from Nissan

Not sure why the images show a squished filter but it does list the part number.
It looks as if the filter was a little too long and was forced (squished) in. They need a filter that can quickly get rid of the scared and squirted/raod kill skunk smell. I get those every now and then.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Another idea for the fragrance:

Something I learned in a former life selling vacuum cleaners. Take a small cloth pad (flannel, gauze, or those "cotton" makeup applicators) and add a couple of drops of an OIL BASED fragrance.

Fasten to the center strap.

You want to use oil-based as opposed to alcohol-based (like cologne or perfume) because the oil-based is not a volatile (meaning it will last longer).

Also, be considerate when choosing a fragrance. There is a particular perfume out there that some women seem to like to use a LOT of. There is also a room freshener that seems to have the same base. When my wife gets just the slightest whiff, this stuff literally chokes her! Had to take her to the ER once and narrowly avoided having an airway inserted.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
"Agree.... good Thai smell is OK.... the day after Thai smell in car is bad. "

Yeah.
Their food is the same way.

Homer

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
If you want no smell Thai food, then order it the way I do: "Triple Thai"......

It will be so hot it will kill anything..............:D

·
Registered
781 Posts
Or you could just eat it in the restaurant.

Mmmm...Thai. About the only thing hotter than Thai food is Thai women.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
GMTURBO43 said:
Or you could just eat it in the restaurant.

Mmmm...Thai. About the only thing hotter than Thai food is Thai women.
Back "in the day" one of the best weeds was "Thai stick"

It was high quality marijuana actually strapped to a stick.

I saw spaceships and monsters.:runaway:

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I actually had a whole duffle bag of thai stick dumped out on the floor in front of me once....many years ago (75). It wasn't on sticks, it was buds twisted up into sticks.
http://www.sweetleaf.co.uk/morepics.php

It was unforgettable though...two hit weed.

I love thai food as well :2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts