Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When exactly do the micro filters do their thing?

Do they only filter incoming air when the outside air setting is selected or do the also filter recirculated air?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
As I recall without looking in the service manual they filter all airflow just prior to entering the fan housing area... re-circulated or not.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Most of the time. Here's my filter after mice get in the HVAC system.

Attachments

·
Registered
828 Posts
Yup our chickens. I think I have them (mice) at bay. Still a bit soon to tell.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I just replaced my cabin filter this past weekend.

I was able to get a WIX filter for about $23.

I just undid (released) the top outside edge knobs on the glovebox, as opposed to disconnecting the bottom hinges. These are the little "bumps" that slide in the tracks when opening the glovebox.

The bottom hinges of the glovebox stayed attached.

Filter access door was right there, quite visible.

I was able to get my bearpaws in there and release the filter.

I installed the new filter and washed the old one.

I was able to wash it in a sink full of sudsy water. Came out sparkling. It held up quite well, it's not paper. Air dried it and put it in the WIX box.

Next time, I'll reinstall the cleaned "old" filter.

If you have the time, you could really just wash your OEM filter, let it dry and reinstall. Take the $20+ you saved and get 1/4 tank of gas.

Total time to exchange filter, about 6 minutes.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Mr.3 Putt

Mr3Putt said:
I just replaced my cabin filter this past weekend.

I was able to get a WIX filter for about $23.

I just undid (released) the top outside edge knobs on the glovebox, as opposed to disconnecting the bottom hinges. These are the little "bumps" that slide in the tracks when opening the glovebox.

The bottom hinges of the glovebox stayed attached.

Filter access door was right there, quite visible.

I was able to get my bearpaws in there and release the filter.

I installed the new filter and washed the old one.

I was able to wash it in a sink full of sudsy water. Came out sparkling. It held up quite well, it's not paper. Air dried it and put it in the WIX box.

Next time, I'll reinstall the cleaned "old" filter.

If you have the time, you could really just wash your OEM filter, let it dry and reinstall. Take the $20+ you saved and get 1/4 tank of gas.

Total time to exchange filter, about 6 minutes.
I love it. Good Idea, please tell all the Wix Part number and where you bought it. G

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Re: Mr.3 Putt

GripperDon said:
I love it. Good Idea, please tell all the Wix Part number and where you bought it. G
What do you need the filter for????? Your car barely leaves its air conditioned room....:2:

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Actually

I thought others might like the info. My next mod should be to change the name on the title. :p

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info Mr3Putt.
I got my MO last week and it was a "Demo" Actually the owner of the dealerships wife was driving it. It was noticeable once the HVAC was turned on that she was a smoker.

I just removed the filter and as suspected it was a brownish color and smelled like an ash tray.

I used my compressor and was amazed at the amount of lint that was collected in the folds. It sill smelled so I now have it soaking in a Clorox and water mix . It floats so im using a glass cup to hold it down.

Thanks to Mr3Putts advice on washing it. I would have spent 20.00 for a new one. I donated half of that to the site.

Just a small note.
If you take it out and aren't going to wash or replace it, use a marker and make an arrow to remind you what direction is up. If you don't, you may get a face full of dust when you turn it on.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
FastEddy said:
I just removed the filter and as suspected it was a brownish color and smelled like an ash tray.

I used my compressor and was amazed at the amount of lint that was collected in the folds. It sill smelled so I now have it soaking in a Clorox and water mix . It floats so im using a glass cup to hold it down.

Thanks to Mr3Putts advice on washing it. I would have spent 20.00 for a new one. I donated half of that to the site.

Keep in mind Eddy, although the filter is not paper, it's also not indestructible. That chlorine is pretty caustic stuff.

Don, I will check the WIX part number tonight and post it later. My independent Auto Parts guy (NAPA) did have to "special order" the filter. Took over 18 hours to arrive.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It worked just fine. I used about 1/8th cup of Clorox in about 1 gallon of water and rinsed it out well after about 20 minutes. The cigarette smell is gone now.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Re: Mr.3 Putt

GripperDon said:

Wix Cabin Filter
Part Number: 24857
UPC Number: 765809248571

I got it at my local auto parts store. Odds are it won't be in stock. If they carry WIX, they can order it for you.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Now that's what I'm talking about. We had a thread last year where we were *****in and moaning about those 30.00 filters.
Good work MOFisch.:4:
Bob1

1 - 20 of 27 Posts