Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, it was a test for the MO's AWD system.....
i went to a lake about 35 mins outside of town... after getting off the highway and to a local road heading to the lake.... just after 5 mins there was a patch with LOTS of SNOW... wife advised me to stop and get back... but i took the poor MO into the puddle... and it just made 30 ft and then it was stuck....

now there was no one around since i was off the road... and first time i was stuck in the snow..... then i saw someone doing ice-fishing with a chevy truck.... now i waved at that person and he was kind enough to drive back and asked me for a tow rope... i didnt have it....

then he saw the AWD logo on the back of MO.... asked me did u ever drove in snow.... i said nope..... then he took the charge of MO and within couple of mins.... the Mo was out.....

i was amazed to see murano performing with such power under AWD..... that person told me, he has been driving 4x4s for quite a while but never saw this power in a SUV and the ease with which it came out of the snow....

and me and my wife fell in love with this lovely mchine again.....
i am posting some pics in my gallery from today....

and one more milestone.... just hit 30,000 KM mark today.... nearly after 2 yrs.....

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he did the forward and reverse in an order so as the MO would get some snow under the tires and climb on the surface.... then he kept on doing forward and backward to make the surface uniform for MO i.e. exerted same pressure over more area to make it a uniform platform....

i was only doing ... forward........ stop... backward.... stop..... forward.... it was only spinning the wheel and digging into the snow.... not a good idea at all ....

but sure i did learnt a lot.... but will still try to avoid such situations.... the snow was almost 12 " deep .....

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awd was on and so was VDC....

are we suppose to turn it off ?

·
Registered
470 Posts
The AWD lock button is for situations like this. I wouldn't think it matters whether VDC is on/off under these conditions.

·
Registered
50 Posts
hasaanbhutta said:
awd was on and so was VDC....

are we suppose to turn it off ?
In this situation you definitely want the switch to lock the AWD and you should hit the switch to turn the VDC off.

Leaving the VDC on probably made it much more difficult for you to get out. The VDC is designed to work when you are actually moving in the MO, and run into a skidding situation.

Since you were not moving, it was actually working against you. Every time your wheels would spin, the VDC would counteract and stop power at the wheel(s) that was spinning.

In the Owner's Manual, there is a statement regarding the VDC which says to turn it off if you have gotten stuck. I am sure that there are others on this forum that could explain this in more technical terms.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think that US Mo has the same VSC like european so it should be VSC+(in Europe ESP+). So it has LSD (Active Brake Limited Slip Differential - TC on all wheels) (only AWD MO) and if you stack you should keep it on because it will improve traction (will brake wheel which is spining and than more power will go to other).

·
5,244 Posts
teonek said:
I think that US Mo has the same VSC like european so it should be VSC+(in Europe ESP+). So it has LSD (Active Brake Limited Slip Differential - TC on all wheels) (only AWD MO) and if you stack you should keep it on because it will improve traction (will brake wheel which is spining and than more power will go to other).
So, what if all 4 wheels start spinning?

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
teonek said:
VDC only helps when you are moving. If you have TCS, it will stop wheel spin by reducing throttle (something you don't want if you're stuck). If you turn off VDC, you also turn off TCS. It's a good idea to turn it off if you get stuck.

Here's a description of those systems:
http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1762

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes, here is a good example of what it takes to off-road.

Even the best 4x4 vehicles can get stuck, and it takes skill and experience to get unstuck.

I used to have a 4x4 Tacoma and once got it stuck in sand. Back before I learned how to off-road. I thought the best way out was to power it out. Boy was I wrong.

Some fellas who were familiar with offroading got that sucker out in 1 minute by dropping air pressure and eeeeaaasing it out.

I felt so dumb, but it never happened to me again. I spent an hour trying to get unstuck and just made it worse.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
hasaanbhutta said:
i am posting some pics in my gallery from today....

hasaanbhutta,

Did you post the pictures? I didn't see any of the stuck MO in the snow. Can you describe a little better what he did and how? I see you did the forward, stop and reverse but that didn't help. I don't follow what he did.

After seeing a friend of mine drive a Mustang GT up switch backs on snowy roads in VT without chains I'm a beliver that its 90% driver and 10% vehicle. (Nothing personal to your skills, I would have gotten stuck too.) :4:

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hi gonzo,

i didnt post the pics of Mo's stuck... actually i didnt take the pics when it was stuck since i was worried for getting out of the snow as my wife is pregnant as well and it was almost 5:30pm....

but yea, i agree with you about the driving skills.... i have no skill of driving a 4x4 and a car being stuck in snow.....
and even watching the nice guy taking it out... i cant be sure if i would be able to take it out if it gets stuck again.....

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
So what exactly did the guy do to get it unstuck? How was it different than what you did?

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
he did the forward and reverse in an order so as the MO would get some snow under the tires and climb on the surface.... then he kept on doing forward and backward to make the surface uniform for MO i.e. exerted same pressure over more area to make it a uniform platform....

i was only doing ... forward........ stop... backward.... stop..... forward.... it was only spinning the wheel and digging into the snow.... not a good idea at all ....

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
So he did not stop in between going forwards and backwards? I imagine shifting the transmission like that would be pretty hard on the CVT.

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
he did....
went forward... brakes.... shifted the gear to reverse.... then gave it some gas.... then went back... brakes... shifted to D.... moved forward... stop...

and kept on doing it.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Ah I see. Thanks for clearing it up.

·
5,244 Posts
I have seen well too many “experienced” drivers from Europe get stuck in Australian Outback. .Driving in sand is similar to driving in snow. You need a good 4 x 4 but NOTHING BEATS EXPERIENCE. Actually the power of Murano may make things even worse. FX has a Snow Mode. A kind of diff lock and limiting power. When on you almost cannot accelerate on bitumen, just slowly take off.

How good is the AWD Murano? Does it really help off road or in deep snow? Just curious.

I am afraid that people fall into a trap thinking that AWD can do anything. Just like driving SUV in slippery condition. Usually SUV drivers are the first to ditch as they think they are invincible! What happened to good old common sense………..

·
4,601 Posts
Lousy Driver + AWD + VDC = Lousy Driver that takes more stupid chances. Skill has to be practiced. No matter how good you are.

I actually feel sorry for those of you that can't take your Murano to a snow covered empty parking lot and practice sliding and learning how the vehicle reacts under poor conditions. It allows you to train and adopt as habit, the needed reactions to bad conditions, without being surprised by what the vehicle does.

If you've got a skid school you can go to, do it!:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts