Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since Sunday, the MIL light ("service engine soon") has been lit constantly on the dash. I tried removing and re-tightening the gas cap to no avail. Going to make appointment to take in to dealer. Anyone know of a way to pinpoint what is causing the problem in the meantime?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Unfortunately nissan took away that option and now we have to get the code read with nissan's Consult II scan tool.

In the old days (like on my 97 Maxima), you could use a screwdriver and turn the ECU screw to get the MIL code to flash. And then you simply look it up in the FSM.

·
Registered
554 Posts
BigRedNJ:

I'm having the same problem. It first occurred at 2500 miles. Took it back and diagnosed as a faulty seal on the gas cap causing a small leak detect. The cap was replaced and the ECU reset. Its come on again now at 3300 miles. Since I was waiting for a replacement rearseat DVD player (on back order) that's coming in next week (supposedly), I'm ignoring the MIL until then. Oh, and I'm having the window/b-pillar ticks check out as well.

Jim

·
Registered
359 Posts
My MIL light came on last Wednesday at 9500km (6000ml). Called the dealer and delivered the MO to them first thing the following Friday. Determined code P0455 Evap Control System and reprogrammed the ECM. On my way within a hour so happy with the service.
Neighbour around the corner also encountered the MIL light but in her case they are ordering an exhaust sensor, but don't know the exact details.

Would be curious to learn your MIL light causes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: try this?

bsdx said:
I thought it WAS possible to check the code yourself? see http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1587

I have not tried this myself
Thanks I'll have to try those instructions. Called the dealer yesterday and they said "90% of the time it's a loose gas cap, and it takes up to 10 days for it to clear once fixed. Call back if it's still on after 10 days." That sounded a bit odd to me. What if it's NOT a loose gas cap???

Anyway, a stupid question regarding the diagnostic mode II instructions: Is it possible to flood the engine or otherwise do bad things by pumping the gas pedal like that, or are we safe because it's drive by wire throttle? And, what precautions (if any) do you need to take before trying this? Someone mentioned something about making sure the battery is fully charged (?)

I'll revive that thread if no one has the answers here.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Re: Re: try this?

BigRedNJ said:

Thanks I'll have to try those instructions. Called the dealer yesterday and they said "90% of the time it's a loose gas cap, and it takes up to 10 days for it to clear once fixed. Call back if it's still on after 10 days." That sounded a bit odd to me. What if it's NOT a loose gas cap???

Anyway, a stupid question regarding the diagnostic mode II instructions: Is it possible to flood the engine or otherwise do bad things by pumping the gas pedal like that, or are we safe because it's drive by wire throttle? And, what precautions (if any) do you need to take before trying this? Someone mentioned something about making sure the battery is fully charged (?)

I'll revive that thread if no one has the answers here.

That is an unacceptable answer from the dealer. So what if 90% of the time its a gas cap. Suppose your case is the other 10% where its an O2 sensor and you are running rich for ten days, getting 15mpg instead of 20mpg - I would not want to pay for that.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Re: Re: try this?

BigRedNJ said:
Called the dealer yesterday and they said "90% of the time it's a loose gas cap, and it takes up to 10 days for it to clear once fixed. Call back if it's still on after 10 days."
That's just nuts! And it would be completely unacceptable to me. I've had my Service Engine Soon light come on twice in the 18 months I've owned my Murano. The first time, it probably was just a loose gas cap. The second time (about a year later) required the reprogramming of the computer module. In both cases, I drove to the dealership (no appointment), the service guys came out, pulled the code and reset the light, and it took all of about a minute and a half. I had to take the car back to have the module reprogrammed, and I was at the dealership for about an hour that time, but the least they can do is pull the code and reset the light for you.

Jeff

·
Registered
717 Posts
It won't help unless you have an Autozone store nerarby, but I have an AutoZone store less than a mile from my house.

They will plug in a code reader and read out exactly what the issue is for free. They can then take you in the store where they can look up the code and possible part causing the code or failure for your vehicle based on their database.

I've used them occasionally over the years when my other Nissans have thrown codes, (but not the Murano, yet)! (Knocking on wood.)

·
Registered
124 Posts
P0455 code

I searched the forums and could not find much info on the code P0455 that triggered MIL light for me. Interestingly enough, i had the same problem last month when the dealer changed the gas tank claiming it "did not hold the pressure inside but without any outside leaks ". A month later the same code is ON again. Did any one had this problem? what were the solutions?
My MO is 20 month old and has 20000 miles on it... To early for any problems or so i hope.
What components of EVAP system are outside of gas tank that can malfunction?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts