Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I'm looking at a 2012 Nissan Murano for 2,500, in apparent perfect condition besides a crack on the front bumper, and 177,198 miles on it.

Wanting a second opinion on the life expectancy. This would be my first car, so I'll probably get something better and more reliable at some point in the next 2-3 years after saving. But this would be what I have for now, getting from place to place, work, and searching for housing.

Should I be worried about it giving out? I've heard 200,000 miles is the life expectancy of most vehicles, so I've been looking for listings 150k and under if possible. But this this seems like a great deal so before going to check it out in person I wanted to see if anyone had any notes I could keep in mind :) Also this make and model is exactly what I was looking for so trying to stay positive

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'd say 200,000 miles is NOT the life expectancy of most vehicles. Maybe if your lucky and has been perfectly maintained. Especially only 1 or 2 owners. I'd suggest saving until you can get something with a lot less miles. High mileage (over 100,000 miles) and old age in vehicles (over 10 years) means possible costs if not previously done. Just my opinion. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd say 200,000 miles is NOT the life expectancy of most vehicles. Maybe if your lucky and has been perfectly maintained. Especially only 1 or 2 owners. I'd suggest saving until you can get something with a lot less miles. High mileage (over 100,000 miles) and old age in vehicles (over 10 years) means possible costs if not previously done. Just my opinion. Good luck.
Thanks for the response! I appreciate the input :) (Unfortunately) this is my current budget, but I actually have a few more I'm looking at with a lot less miles. But since I'm searching for used it's just a whole thing about estimating any extra costs (if any), finding something suitable to not only my needs but liking, ya know. I'm still gonna keep this one in mind, says it's a clean title and in "perfect condition" though I'm still cautious with expectation. Definitely gonna keep searching though. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
93 Posts
Hi there:

A well-maintained car can go 200-300,000 miles these days BUT many vehicles have very expensive issues. The CVT transmission in the Murano is a concern to all owners, and can fail before 100k miles. If it fails, you are looking at an immediate expense of $2000-5000 so your "good deal" car becomes a horrible deal immediately.

If someone drove the car to 177k miles, they may be offloading it because they know that something is broken. Everyone selling a used car is a liar, dealer or private owner. The dealer may not know the hidden problems; the private owner knows every problem and has worked hard to conceal them.

You could drive this Murano to a million miles if you keep replacing parts but it may cost you $100,000 to get there. The rule with used cars is that the most expensive car you can buy is a cheaper, older, luxury vehicle.

A Murano is a complicated car with a lot of power features and at the low price point you mention, I think it's a bad idea. If you don't do your own repair work, there are a lot of small things that can fail and rack up bills really quickly. Doing the brakes on all 4 corners is probably a grand, etc. I would really look for a simpler car with fewer miles on it.

This may not be easy as I would expect even something like a 2002 Honda Civic with 177k miles to cost more than $2500.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Thanks for the response! I appreciate the input :) (Unfortunately) this is my current budget, but I actually have a few more I'm looking at with a lot less miles. But since I'm searching for used it's just a whole thing about estimating any extra costs (if any), finding something suitable to not only my needs but liking, ya know. I'm still gonna keep this one in mind, says it's a clean title and in "perfect condition" though I'm still cautious with expectation. Definitely gonna keep searching though. Thanks again!
I would not recommend a used 1st or 2nd generation Nissan Murano to anyone I consider a friend, especially with that mileage. Make sure you take whatever car you're strongly considering to a reputable mechanic for a thorough inspection. And, beware of flood cars! Good luck!

·
Administrator
9,263 Posts
I would not recommend a used 1st or 2nd generation Nissan Murano to anyone I consider a friend, especially with that mileage. Make sure you take whatever car you're strongly considering to a reputable mechanic for a thorough inspection. And, beware of flood cars! Good luck!
I think this bears repeating. I feel the same way.

Reactions: m4gician
1 - 7 of 7 Posts