Nissan Murano Forum banner

mileage

5K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  hfelknor 
#1 ·
There was a discussion on mileage , I guess was lost during the switch over.
Anyway, I will start it again.

I am getting 23 – 25 mpg highway. Cruise control on 72 mph. Major factor outside temperature. If air-conditioning is working hard it affect mileage by up to 2 – 3 mph. In the city driving – approximately 18 mpg. The gas grade does not seem to have major effect. SL FWD.

What bout you? What is your mph? What gasoline you use?

#2 ·
This past weekend I went to Wisconsin for a 4 day camping trip. The MO was fully loaded. An 8 person tent, sleeping bags, blankets, pillows, small grill, two small coolers, food and clothes for 4 days. Two adults, a 9 yr old and a 13 yrd old.

With the A/C on and traveling an average of 75 mph, we were able to get 21 mpg. :D I'd say that is pretty good considering the weight we were pushing.

Normal city driving, we get about 18-19 mpg.

Overall, I'm quite satisfied. I don't get that gas mileage in my Grand Prix.

#3 ·
City driving (NOVA traffic on Route 7) I average about 18-19 MPG as long as I drive conservative. If I am lead footing it, I can see 16-17 MPG. Only been on a highway trip once during the break in and got 23 MPG. I am going to be taking another long highway trip in August through the WV mountains so I am looking forward to see how this will affect the MPG.

#6 ·
Although I use premium & have 5k+ miles I'm still only seeing 18-19 in mixed driving.:(

Although this isn't bad I would really like to break in to the 20's!:)

#7 ·
KSmurano,

I have now almost 4k and am getting approximately 18 - 19 around town. AirCon, when temps are in 90's can affect it by up to 2 mpg. Highway driving 23 - 25 mpg with speeds 70 - 75 mpg. Relatively flat terrain.

I am very happy with this mileage. Murano is a quite heavy car and the cx i believe is 0.37. Good for a SUV but long shot from sedans (0.27 -0.3). We need to remember that air drag increases with speed squared and even more with higher speeds.

#8 ·
ok i guess my mileage is pretty bad still.

i get good highway mileage, about 22 to 23,
but city is still lackin, only about 15 to 16.
a mixture of both ends up at about 17 or high 16's.
it all depends if i have to run errands, slow parking lots, etc,
seems to have a real effect on gas mileage, at least on the trip computer.

oh well, i have gotten over that already, i still love this car!

-Nerf

#9 ·
I live in Florida. My air conditioner is always on.

I am currently getting 18 miles in the city...and when I drive on the highway (which does not happen often enough)...I get almost 23. My MO has 2,800 miles and I use Mobil-1 Synthetic Oil and Premium gasoline.

#11 ·
Wow, Enforcer,
you do like testing, don't you! Very good tests. It seems to confirm my observations about AC. But it would be expected.

My last tank - 340 miles, 19.5 mph mainly city driving with very limited highway driving, like from one exit to another. I did try to drive economically.

#12 ·
I've got about 5k on my MO, Sl 2wd, and I've been only using 92 octane gas. I live in a fairly rural area so my "city" driving really more resembles highway driving - 45 to 65 mph most of the time. I'm averaging 23 mpg with the a/c on since I got my MO since I'm in florida. I've been really pleased with the mileage - especially compared to all those other SUV's out there.

On the other hand, my father who owns a 2wd Se and lives in dallas, has been only averaging 16-18 mpg. So it makes a significant difference how much stop and go you are doing. Plus he has a lead foot that he refuses to acknowledge.:rolleyes:

#13 ·
Imperial or US?

Now I wonder whether the on-board computer is calibrated for the larger Canadian gallon. When I hit the E/M (English/Metric) button on the dash, it went from 12.x litres/100 km to 19.x miles per gallon. I guess I'll have to calculate whether that was a US gallon or an Imperial gallon (by converting from the metric).

This was on the weekend test-drive unit. Mileage varied from 16 - 20.x. I hit 21 when I put it in cruise and took the highway at about 65 mph, after resetting the calculator.

The car had about 9,000 miles on it (US miles :) )

#14 ·
Speaking of weird measures

Miles are actually the same in Canada and US.

But... I have 3 acres of land here. In French (in Quebec measure), I have 4 "French acres" (arpents).

38,xxx sq. ft. = 1 arpent
44,xxx sq. ft. = 1 acre

Go figure (but use a calculator).

#15 ·
For an easy conversion "mpg" to "l/100 km" use the following formula:

235.215 divide by mpg

For example, if your mph is 20 it translates to 11.75 l/100 km, 18 to 13.07 and so on. I assumed American gallon=3.7854l. 1 mile=1609.344m. For most of calculation it should be good enough.

#16 ·
Kris

That sounds right (all the input figures are accurate). With an imperial gallon at 4.54 litres, one would consumer fewer litres per 100 km, so it seems that the MO is giving US mpg on the screen, because 20 on the MO = about 11.x on the MO in metric mode.

So, when I was seeing 21 mpg, I might have been getting more like 26, which inspires me more.

11 litres/100 km does not line it up with a Civic, but it is better than the Pathfinder (I spent $300 CAD last month on fuel).

3000 km/100 = 30 x 11 = 330 x about 80 cents for premium = about $264.00. Sounds about right.

#17 ·
Road Trip Today (AC On, Lights on, cooler on):

Trip Time: 9h 14m
Trip Distance: 602.3 miles
AVG Speed: 65 mph
Outside Temperature: 65-91 degrees F
Tire Presure: 32 32 32 32 - 34 34 34 34

Mileage on display: 22.2 mpg

Segment between fill ups: 395.2 mi, 68mph average, 17.25g = 22.91 mpg.

Also had significant head wind today.

Bottom line to me is the mpg read out is pretty reliable. There is always a little error when filling up but it seems to track.

#18 ·
converted to imperial

26.5 mpg imperial = 22.2 mpg US (approximate)

#20 ·
cruise somewhere between 70 -74, I am getting 24 -24.6 mph. Relatively flat terrain.

Anyway, I would expect mpg get worse with speed. Similar what you observed.

What about load, temperature, terrain, "lead" foot, wind?

#21 ·
Getting good mileage now

Hi All,

Have been getting good mileage lately. I followed enforcers break in process and it really worked.

Yesterday took it to yosemite - tahoe day trip (very hilly - 9000 ft above sea level). Got excellent mileage - around 30 miles/gallon. while returning from the trip and around 23 miles/gallon while going. Even during return trip there were lots of up and downs. Seems that taking the car to the yosemite really opened up the engine. Here are the stats :

- Average speed : 65 to 70 miles/hr
- Average outside Temp : 65 deg F.
- Tire pressure 34,34,34,35 (need to make them equal)
- A/C - always
- Wind : At some places quite windy
- Distance driven for entire round trip - 850 miles
- Distance when 30 miles/gallon started kicking in - 500 miles.
- Fuel : premium : Chevron

On Average city mileages : 18.5 ~ 19.5 miles , and with cruise on - 20 ~ 21 mpg.

Regards,

pkhona

#22 ·
Wow, this is great!

If only Yosemite and Tahoe were closer to Atlanta, maybe I would get mileage like this too....;)

#23 ·
My sons seem to be right on track with everyone else. The vehicle only has about 1,200 miles on it, but they're seeing 17-18 in the city, and 20-22 on the interstate (3 boys with a car load full of stuff, 75-80mph with a/c) going back and forth from college on the weekends.

#24 ·
I'm right at 18.0 MPG with what I would call subarban driving.

We always (well almost, but for sure at this time of year) have the AC on down here and I'm in breakin mode.
That's plus and minus.
Plus because it will get looser.
Minus because I will start pushing it more.

Hoping for 23 at a cruise control 75 with A/C.
My 97 Chrysler (weight the same as Murano <> 3800 pounds) Mini does 24.3 under those conditions. I suspect it has a lower CD than the Murano.

Homer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.