Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinken, I want to listen to my Mp3's in my car (all 27 GB of them) on graphical screen and maybe be able to watch DVD's on it also. I have been doin some research here at work and came up with, well I guess to combine everything in one, and maybe hook up a GPS USB nav thingy also, I would need a computer.

Well Size is a important factor so I narrowed my case down to this barebone ZPC

http://www.iwillusa.com/products/ProductDetail.asp?vID=179

2.25" High, 7"Wide, 10"Long

was gona put a 2GHZ P4, 512 RAM, DVD rom drive and 40 gig HD.

Now for mounting I was thinken under the radio, in the glovebox or in the center console.

For a screen
http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/cPath/42/products_id/193
7 Inch "touch"widescreen

Now all this would cost under $1000 w/ fm transmitter
fm transmitter
http://www.hobbytron.net/fm_transmitter_zoom.html

Do you think this would work good or is there somethen that might work better. I would like to stay in same price range.

I was also thinken MPtronix 40 gig Mp3 player with a Garmin Ique 3600 but I would have no DVD player.
http://www.mptronix.com/

Any imput suggestions on what you would do or want to do someday.?

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Mini ITX

When I get back from vacation, I'm planning to start a project using a Mini-ITX based system. Mini-ITX is an ultra-small form factor with composite and s-video video outputs built-in as well as the regular complement of audio, ethernet, and usb ports. Check out mini-itx.com.

If you pull off the center console trim down by the gas pedal, you'll see a bunch of space up against the firewall. Perfect for a tiny PC. As for video, I'm using the AV Electronic tv tuner which fans 3 a/v inputs across 3 outputs, 1 "output" being the Nav screen and FM radio, the other 2 being standard a/v outputs (i.e. rear-facing headrests)

I, too, have 20GB of MP3s but have been playing them from my laptop via one of the a/v inputs on the tv tuner as we drive across the country. The toughest part is going to be the Human Interface. I was hoping to use the joystick/enter button to browse menus, but that doesn't seem realistic now. Not sure what I'm planning to do at this point, but I certainly need to come up with something. I already have one IR eye for the tv tuner all the way back up underneath the "chin" of the stereo, so I may just put another one down there and order a new remote from slim devices. Look over my tv install in the Audio & Electronics section in a thread called "Murano headrests out".

As for price range? Well, generator has a project that he's working on for a DIY video interface if you have Nav and are not afraid to cut the wires behind the screen. Otherwise, any of the AV Electronic kits will eat up over half of your budget (and you still need to cut the wires behind your Nav screen)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well if your going to use the computer you might as well replace the stock head unit with the touch panel and hook up a couple amps to run your speakers in the car. Use a remote located dvd drive, mounted maybe right below the radios stock location. Now you can do anything you want in your car nav mp3 wireless internet play any pc game and you can get the screen you want with a 40 gig carpc from xenarcdirect.com That's what i plan to do. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
255 Posts
907Eskimo,

I would suggest that you replace the FM Transmitter with the PAC Aux Input, if you don't have a SAT tuner. This will provide much better audio quality then FM Transmitter and you would use the SAT button to access the PC audio feed. Do a search for PAC Aux to find out more. You could also buy an XM PC system in the future (only $50) and use the PC for both XM and MP3 (Hmm, may have to look into a solution like this myself). If you don't have the Nav system then the PC could do that too.

It would be nice if you could replace the Stock Nav Screen with the touch screen, Maybe you could do this with the AV electronics solution, or with an RGB switcher. If you could find an Screen with Dual RGB inputs then this may work for those of us with the Nav and you could connect the Murano connection to one input and the AV Electronic solution or a PC to the other input and use button to switch the inputs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanx for the info but i will have xm im getting it installed tommorow. I thought about replacing the stock screen but i find it would be inconvenient to reach it in order to use the touch panel. I think putting the screen where the stock cd player is it would be much easier to access and the dvd player could be attached right below that location. I am one of those without the nav but i think it would be a better finished product to have two screens in the MO. I used to build emergency vehicles so i don't find this to be too much of a challenge. Then I want to put HID on my car but use the pc to operate the leveling mechanism. What do you think?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright I have ordered my stuff for the carputer. Soon as I get it installed and worken I will post the pics. Setting it up this Wednesday.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
JUSt becareful on this electronic gadgets in dash...

Read this article...
from CNN today

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's a great idea and I know people doing that and there are a few proprietary machines on the market with wireless that will sync with your computer as soon as you drive up. The only thing I don't like about that setup is without a "real" sound card your output is going to sound like carp....

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Just an Idea..

Put in a WiFi card, so that you you can transfer/control the unit remotely (from the house) when you want to do stuff to it after the fact.. you can just turn on the unit, go into the house, and do it from there..

also.. if the Unit, was in the back (with controls in the front) you have more options/cheaper as well..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I have changed things around a little. I have not gotten the stuff I have posted above. Actually I got a EZgo PC made by AtoZ.

http://logisysus.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=74&products_id=188&osCsid=33e66ee2f7c7d8b21a186685ffa2dd7a

It fits just under the radio in the MO. I have a DVD player in it, a 60 GB hard-drive and 512MB RAM. I would have had it done by now but I ordered the wrong CPU for it. And for sound I am using the PAC that directly connects to the output on the computer, so no FM transmitter is required. Hopefully have the pics up by next week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts