Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I don't love my country but one of the reasons I thought the MO had such good quality is that it was built in Japan - really not trying to offend anyone here. Anyway, when I was almost thru the buying process - bought my MO in mid Dec '04 I noticed on the sticker that the final assembly point was Norfolk VA. My MO had splash guards, wind deflector, etc. so maybe those extras were put on in VA or maybe that's where it was shipped to. The VIN number begins with a "J" and as Enforcer alludes to in FAQ that seems to indicate built in Japan. Does anybody know for sure? It's an '05. The dealer told me Japan. My last car - a Toyota Avalon - was assembled in Kentucky - many problems like a loose driver's seat that could never be fixed by any dealership and now sludge in the engine even though I regularly changed the oil.

·
5,244 Posts
Murano - still build in Japan....

As to the Avalon - the sludge in the engine had nothing to do with the engine being assembled in Kentucky. It was a design problem....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kris, I notice you have an FX and a MO. Was wondering how you thought the two compare. Would be nice to hear from somebody that actually owned both as opposed to having only test driven them.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Yes the Murano is built in Japan.
Certain things are done by the dealer however and certain things are done at the port.
It "used" to be that all A/C was installed at the port on all japanese cars. Don't know why, but that is just the way it was. Maybe taxes on cars as opposed to parts?

Anyway that is why I got so bent out of shape about my Murano over the first 6 months.
I didn't expect a lot of problems with my Japanese car.
ESPECIALLY things like a loose steering rack. Some "workmanship"!
I bought a LOT of cars and never had one, until the Murano, where they "forgot" to tighten the steering rack to spec.
And that is a VERY common Murano problem.
And it wasn't the only problem.
SQUEALING brakes.
TIC TAC noises in the doors and pillars.
FIVE trips to leave the car at the dealer in 6 months.

BTW there are problems with Murano seats being loose too.

I am certainly not an expert on Japanese cars.
I bought a 99 Miata (New) and had a bad experience.
Other than that I bought a couple of Datsuns back in the day (78 & 82) and they were good.

And then the Murano.

Based on my recent experience,
Japanese workmanship is WAY overrated.
Way overrrated.

OTOH, now that the dealer seems to have done all the things that the factory was supposed to do, the car has been great the last 6 months. (OK there is one rattle in the B pillar that no one can fix)

So, I have survived.
And would not hestitate to buy an American car again.
Certainly I never had an experience as bad as the first 6 mos of the Murano.

Of course, I SHOULD be out of the market for 6 or 7 years.

Now I am waiting for the Alternator to fail.
That's a design issue IMO, not a workmanship issue.

Homer

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hfelknor said:
Anyway that is why I got so bent out of shape about my Murano over the first 6 months.
I didn't expect a lot of problems with my Japanese car.
ESPECIALLY things like a loose steering rack. Some "workmanship"!
I bought a LOT of cars and never had one, until the Murano, where they "forgot" to tighten the steering rack to spec.
And that is a VERY common Murano problem.
And it wasn't the only problem.
SQUEALING brakes.
TIC TAC noises in the doors and pillars.
FIVE trips to leave the car at the dealer in 6 months.

BTW there are problems with Murano seats being loose too.

I am certainly not an expert on Japanese cars.
I bought a 99 Miata (New) and had a bad experience.
Other than that I bought a couple of Datsuns back in the day (78 & 82) and they were good.

And then the Murano.

Based on my recent experience,
Japanese workmanship is WAY overrated.
Way overrrated.

Guess you won't be buying a Nissan again any time soon. :(

·
5,244 Posts
Interesting duscussion.
hfelknor, i can hear you. Funny, Murano is my first japaneese car built in Japan. So far i had TCU fail, warped brake rotors, alignment issue, and of course the window/door rattles (I do not believe anyone can fix it. Unless new dors are fitted). So it may well be that the workmenship, or QC is overrated, at least for Nissan. Just my guess, after being purchase by Renault french QC was introduced........just a guess......

My opinion is that Murano is a great design that was somewhat rush to production. And the QC took somewhat back seat.....only time will tell.......

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I am probably wrong here, but maybe its not the Japanese assembly, but rather, the American designed element of the Murano which has given us a sour taste. The Murano was conceived of and designed for the North American market exclusively (initially), with the components going into the vehicle a reflection of the driving conditions in North America.

I also have a 97 Maxima which is built in Japan, and its rock solid. No rattles, no squeaks, nada.

However, quality issues have been more common recently with all Japanese makes. Compare a 10 year old Toyota with one built today. Big difference in overall quality, although a 2005 Toyota still beats a 2005 GM in quality many times over. Those who own Toyotas from both eras can attest to the "huge" decline.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Yeah Kris, I cannot disagree.
I LIKE the basics of the car.
I DO enjoy driving the car.
It DOES do things very,very well.
As a quasi SUV it is unmatched IMO.

NO ONE was more Pro Murano than me, even after the first failure. Or the second. I was still pretty positive, though questioning after three failures.
Then I got kinda neutral for four and five .......and at six I realized that I had never had a car that caused this many problems. It was like having a lifetime of difficulty in 6 months.
Quite frankly I felt like I had been lied to.
Not so much by Nissan but by all the people through all the years who told me that japanese cars were better than American cars.
It just wasn't working out that way.

And then one day (After accepting the fact that Nissan couldn't fix the noise in the drivers door) I realized that there hadn't been any problems.
I realized that the Murano was spending every night in my garage, not the dealers.

"Maybe" the car is now what it should have been when I bought it.
We shall see.
Even if the moon roof doesn't open alll the way and two dealers and NNA say that is just tough bananas. :3:
BTW I don't even COUNT that as a failure.
But it really is.........isn't it.

As I said in another thread, it really is up to the gods at this point.
If the alternator never fails.........or if it fails in a "low hassle" way, I think I can live with that. Most new cars have something fail now and then.
But after all the problems I have had......if the alternator fails while we are are on one of our extended road trips.........
Well, I have decided to always travel with the title. And should It fail in a "high hassle" way, I'll just get rid of it. THat "could" be the way that I end up with a Hemi Magnum. That I bought in Montana!:D

And like the beemer biker, I certainly wouldn't buy another one..........I think.
The reason I hesitate about that is that I HAVE thought of trading for an 05..........but I probably won't. The chances of that working out badly are just too great. And a large part of the problem is I feel that Nissan are unresponsive and are a little too close to being a Mitsubishi (Another Japanese car company that makes the Americans look good). Look up the scandals surrounding Mitsu and see the parallels with Nissan............

But OTOH, if the car continues it's fine record of the last 6 months (No Problems, steadily improving Gas Mileage, good performance, etc , etc ) Who knows how I will feel 5 or 6 years from now.

Homer

·
5,244 Posts
I have 5 years/100k miles warranty so it is very likely I will keep it till then. I still like ALMOST everything about Murano. Yesterday, however, I had a quick peek at Acura RL..............really nice car. 300 HP, advanced AWD, Acura quality, very well engineered. The only problem is that it still is basically FWD with poorly balanced weight distribution. And of course not much room for long trips.

Luckily, I have at least 3 to 4 years before making decision……

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
My Next SUV will be the RX 400hybrid..

It is a lexus, afterall.
I dont think I am going to buy another nissan suv.
Dont get me wrong, Murano is a nice vehicle.

It is just:
- has minor problems here and there: rattles, thin paint.
- has design flaws: fron wiper, power steering pump, alternators, steering rack bolt need to be tighten .

Japanese workmanship is not as top notch as it was b4.

·
5,244 Posts
Interesting Sugar,

I was thinking about hybrid too........but I am not an SUV person.....I need something that drives like a car, perform like a car.......you know what I mean.......:D

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Kris...you need the new SLK ..

I saw the all new SLK 55 AMG in front of my MO today at traffic light...awesome looking vehicle..;) Talk about mid life crisis, i picture my self riding in one of those when i retire, perhaps with a young sexy babe sitting next to me :2:

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Grippee loves her SLK320, Black on Black! AND I get to ride next to HER!:2:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Gripper,

My girlfriend has a C230. What do you think of the interior quality of the MB compared to the MO. I know the 230 is so solid. I am amazed, I listen for even the smallest rattle when going over bumps in the car but after one year I have yet to hear one.
An interesting side note, the 230's front wheel wells are lined with felt that I assume reduced road noise.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
One reason the C class rides better than MO is because it is heavier. 4,400 pounds to Mo's 4,000!

·
4,601 Posts
EdMPT said:
Gripper,

An interesting side note, the 230's front wheel wells are lined with felt that I assume reduced road noise.
Look under your carpet and you'll see the same. It's fairly thick too!

·
5,244 Posts
Re: Kris...you need the new SLK ..

SugarRushMurano said:
I saw the all new SLK 55 AMG in front of my MO today at traffic light...awesome looking vehicle..;) Talk about mid life crisis, i picture my self riding in one of those when i retire, perhaps with a young sexy babe sitting next to me :2:
Ye, saw one next to my Murano when I was getting new tires. The guy was talking about changing the chip to go from 150mph car to whatever it was........I guess closer to 180mph............Nice car. I do not think I will ever be able to afford one. I am too practical... :(

·
Registered
281 Posts
99 Maxima SE perfect car, hated to trade in.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts