Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well we hit -30C last night here in Saskatoon. i knew of it and went in home around 8 pm after plugging in my car. and to my surprise the car didnt start this morning. i took my cell phone adapter and plugged into the cable coming in from my wall socket to test it and it worked so i dont know if my block heater is toasted or what.

when ignition is turned on no lights or display show up on the screen or the odometer....

called in the dealership and they said they will like to have a look.

one thing i wanna ask, if i get it towed to the dealership, would it be under warranty (im still under 3 yr / 60,000 km warranty, just hit 39,300KM yesterday)

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Sounds like your battery has given up. A working block heater only heats the oil in the block but will not do anything to protect the battery. I imagine dealer should pay for the tow but you will probably end up picking up part of the tab for a new battery...... :mad:

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
one of my co-workers suggested same thing, but how could it possibly happen ?

just wondering though !!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Given extreme temps and a 3 year old battery, I'm not surprised it gave up the ghost.

Did you regularly check the water level in your battery?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
hasaanbhutta said:
nope :1pat:
There you go. :p

If you can find a gel battery like Optima RedTop or Exide Orbital, I would go for one of those.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Murano batteries are not known for lasting a long time. Add the cold weather factor and you have a lethal combination! Low fluid level probably weakened the battery and the -30 temp broke it back.... :D

I would go with Eric's suggestion for batteries...

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what do u guys think of this battery

** Sorry !, link fixed... please check the next post

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
hasaanbhutta said:
what do u guys think of this battery
The link takes me to the Canadian Tire homepage. You need to be more specific.

-njjoe

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Orbital Cycle Extreme-Duty Battery

Built for high-demand applications such as window-rattling audio systems, or power-hungry accessories like winches and hydraulic pumps

Spiral cell construction provides unparalleled battery performance for cars, trucks and SUVs.
Delivers up to 30% more cold cranking amps during the first five critical seconds
Tightly wound cylindrical cells give added performance and durability
Amp Hour Capacity: 50
Fits thousands of applications. Completely sealed and maintenance-free (no need to add water)
Uses AGM technology - battery acid is completely absorbed into cell material
Recharges faster than a conventional battery (in approximately 1 hour)
Resists vibrations 17 times greater than a conventional battery
Canadian Tire cares about the environment - a $5 recycling deposit, refundable upon return of battery, will be applied (non-refundable in BC). Price shown has been reduced by $5 to reflect this deposit
See in-store for a complete line of battery accessories such as terminals and cables

Canadian Tire Warranty This product is covered by an 18-month free replacement warranty and a 3-year pro-rated warranty. Complete warranty details available in-store.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
hasaanbhutta-

That looks like a great battery and I am sure would be excellent for your MO, but in my opinion it is overkill and at $180 is very expensive. Even if you had a high compression V8 under the hood, that battery would be overkill.

Another battery on the same page, the Motomaster Eliminator Spiral Cell Starting Battery ($150) is less expensive yet has the same features.

A standard (not spiral-cell) battery of sufficient size (rating) would be more than adequate for the task and would cost less than $100.

Interstate Battery is also a good manufacturer/distributor of automotive batteries.

If money is no object, then obviously go with the best.

-njjoe

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
actually i talked to one of the sales rep guys at Canadian Tire and he suggested a Motomaster battery for 85$ - 5$ enviro fee. he said it will do the task and has 3 yr exchange and 9 yr pro-rated warranty.
i am actually inclined towards that now as i have put a motomaster in my 98 taurus before and it runs great.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I've always had good luck with batteries... never had any just die on me. My last Nissan battery lasted a very long time... like 10 years.

I suspect that the MO will do the same.

Tell me if I'm wrong... heat is harder on a battery then cold temps.

Then again, if you don't check the fluid who knows how long it will last. I keep a jug of distilled water from the dehumifier to refil when necessary and use a large turkey baster.

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I keep a jug of distilled water from the dehumifier to refil when necessary and use a large turkey baster.
thats gonna be the next thing in my MUST HAVE MO accessories

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The Exide Orbital is a good battery. I have one in my Maxima and its never let me down. It is much more powerful than the premium battery I had before, which was itself a leap above the stock battery.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
hasaanbhutta said:

thats gonna be the next thing in my MUST HAVE MO accessories
If you get a gel battery like the Orbital, there won't be any place to add water because it doesn't contain any!

The turkey baster is useful for other stuff though, such as draining brake fluid from the reservoir or power steering fluid (to change it). Yes I know they don't need to be changed, but I'm just like that.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
You are right Gonzo, extreme heat causes the water in the battery to evaporate faster than in cooler temperatures. The heat also contributes to corrosion of the positive plates. These two problems can adversely affect the like of the battery.

Extreme cold does not affect the life of the battery but it definitely does affect the available starting current. A battery’s available power is reduced by 35% when the thermometer drops to freezing and 60% when the temperature dips to zero (F). At the temperatures hasaanbhutta experiences the battery is hard pressed to supply 15% of the normally available juice.

hasaanbhutta, you might want to consider a "battery blanket". Since you are already using an engine-block heater, you could tap into the power cord and run a low-wattage battery heater. It will significantly increase the available starting current, and as a side benefit, the elevated temperature of the battery enables it to more readily and quickly accept a charge from the alternator. This is especially useful if you do a lot of short trips at night.

Good luck.

-njjoe

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks all ...

i did got the battery last night and put it in.... and to add to my misery it was the worst weather.... -29C and -35 w/ windchill.... after 20 mins of starting the process the MO was running again...

i got a normal 79.99 Motomaster batter as the salesgirl told me if u keep good care of battery it should be as good as the spiral cell one ($154.99). and i think they give back 5$ for your older battery.... to which i can add $5 more and buy the 9 yr. replacement warranty (its 3 yr right now) and extra 6 yrs for 10 bucks doesnt hurt at all.....

njjoe, one of my friends has that thing and he isnt driving his car now (got broken into and he just decided to cancel insurance). so i will grab it from him. thanks for the tips....

really glad to get my MO on her FEET now !!

this forum truly rocks.... as i have told couple of my co-workers...

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm in Manitoba, and went to start the Mo this morning. -33 C outside right now. Had the car plugged in since about 5:00am, and tried to start it 5 hours later. It started ok, but was barely running at about 300 rpms. I gave her a little gas, and it didn't really respond. Eventually, (a long 5 seconds later) the juices started flowing and after a couple of loud high-pitched squeals, she began to idle normally.

I've had my Mo for a year (40,000kms). The first 5 oil changes were done at the dealership. I was sick of paying $80 for an oil change and vehicle inspection, so I now take it to Midas where I used to take my old car. Their $30 oil change and vehilce inspection discovered that the coolant was only good to -20 C. I was pretty shocked! Thankfully they noticed in November before it got that cold. Might be a good thing to check for the rest of us Canadians since it was something that my dealership overlooked. They did adjust the coolant mixture under warranty.

I also find it funny that the radio won't work when the temps are below -20. It looks like it should be working, but I don't get any audio for the first 5 minutes :p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts