Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spring break off this week with my boys and rarely, the wifey.
It is in the high 70's here today and almost cloudless....the boys were badgering me about going "anywhere Dad, even toilet world to get out of the house". Funny guys....
Anyway, we went to Stone Mountain. It is a huge single blob of granite I have been to a bazillion times. At the base is now a tourist trap built by dolly world which is now leasing this park from the state. Lots of folks were visiting red neck mecca (the touristy part) and me and the family did our stroll of about 5 miles around through the woods finding some sweet shrub in full bloom....ahhhh it is heaven to be in a sweet shrub grove.
But did I park the Mo with the masses--HELL NO! LOL
I found a place out on the rock where no one would park within 50 feet of me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Down low, the sun finally got the best of the iris..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We went down to the carillon. It is a bell tower with 732 bells built by coke for the world's fair in 64 and given to Atlanta in 65.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Saw a few of our Canadian friends there....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We walked all over creation then came back to Mo, covered in pollen but all alone, a shining spectacle out on the rock :)

Attachments

·
4,601 Posts
Honk Honk! :)

The first pic looks like a sleek silver space ship landed on an alien planet!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

Was that a picture of Jaak from Toronto above?

Very cool pictures mgthe3.

Bob1

J

·
0 Posts
Awesome pics!!! That is really a nice place for a photoshoot of the Murano, it looks very nice in that setting :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
mgthe3 said:
Could you please send them back home, we need to start our summer :D

(gonna hit plus 19 tomorrow ... Yahoo)

Great pics !!

·
4,601 Posts
Look! Some vandals defaced the rock!

I've never seen that, what is it? Who is it?

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Per the web:

Helen Plane came up with the idea of creating a carving on the steep face of Stone Mountain, honoring General Robert E. Lee. Plane, who spoke to friends about the idea as early as 1909, was president of the Atlanta chapter of an organization now known as the United Daughters of the Confederacy™ (UDC). The idea began to receive press coverage in local papers in 1914. American artist Gutzon Borglum was contacted in 1915. He embraced the idea and expanded it to include an army of 750 soldiers following Lee, wrapping part way around the mountain.

Work began in 1923, but differences, both financial and creative, called a halt to the proceedings in 1925. It is believed that Borglum found a major error in the system he used to project the completed image on the mountain, but refused to admit it. He destroyed alll his work before he left the state. The Stone Mountain Memorial Association, which was raising the money for the project, enlisted Augustus Lukeman to try and complete the project by 1928, when the 12 year time limit set by the Venables expired.

Lukemen altered the carving to be four men on horseback, Robert E. Lee, Jefferson Davis, "Stonewall" Jackson, and an unnamed color-bearer. He also used a point system to accurately transfer his models to the immense granite canvas. Although a significant amount of work was completed by Lukeman, the contract with the Venables was not extended and for the next 30 year the carving sat uncompleted, a curiosity for passing travelers.

As early 1940 the state of Georgia expressed an interest in the property. Not just the carving, but the entire mountain. Heirs to the Venable estate were adamant about keeping the mountain. Georgia formed a state park authority and hired Atlanta sculptor Julian Harris to complete the work. Unfortunately, World War II intervened. When the state purchased the mountain in 1958 they began working on quickly completing the carving. First, Glouchester (MA) artist Walker Hancock was hired. Using Lukeman's models and newer technology, including thermo-jet torches (a public relations term for an oxy-jet torch), but keeping Lukeman's point system to transfer the image to the mountain, the process was speeded up. A majority of the carving was completed when Vice President Spiro Agnew dedicated the park in 1970. The carving was declared finished in 1972.

Yes, it is a confederate memorial. Each of the states who were in the confederacy has a little mall with their state flag. They surround a huge commons which is a natural amphitheater to the carving. They have laser shows nightly during the summer projected on the mountain.
I have been going there since I was a little kid.
Lots of memories from my teens….

Yes Dennis, love the slick topped Mo. :)

2fornow, those are rocker bars, I purchased them from a forum member.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
mgthe3 said:
But did I park the Mo with the masses--HELL NO! LOL
I found a place out on the rock where no one would park within 50 feet of me.
50 feet sounds about right. :p

That MO sure makes the rock look good. :D

·
4,601 Posts
Wow mgthe3, I had no idea that existed. That's really cool!

Another thing on my list of places to go. Too bad I didn't know sooner, or I could have gone in the late 80's as I often went to Atlanta on business.

Thank you for the education. It's a certainly great art, and even better that it triggers great history.

·
Registered
747 Posts
MGTHE3

Nice Pics!! I have been to Stone Mountain a couple of times and it is really beautiful. If I remember correctly isn't the Six Flags amusement park very near Stone Mountain?

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
uhhhh
Six Flags is to the west of Atlanta, Stone Mountain is to the east of Atlanta, as the crow fly’s--about 20 miles apart. I guess it is relative about closeness. Costco is 2.5 miles from me, an ATM= 1.5, grocery= 3 miles, work= 12 miles. Atlanta is circled and criss-crossed with freeways--so everything seems close. But in my relevance, it’s a bit of a drive.
But, to folks living in say Wyoming, they are almost on top of each other.

:D

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Dennis Fink said:

Won't explain how mgthe3's Murano got into the second picture. :2:
Simple. He drove faster than 88mph, and set his flux capacitor to 1991. :D :D :D

Enjoy the ride!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts