Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, summer is winding down and here in Canada I am anxiously awaiting how my new MO does in the slush and cold. I have had her for only 3 weeks now. It's been a great move from my Pathfinder.

However, I found my Pathfinder great in winter driving here in Manitoba. I am wondering how the MO's perform in winter and ice. Is the AWD and 18 wheels good in winter? The sales person who sold me the MO told me in their tests, the MO totally outperformed the Pathfinder on snow and ice. Anyone's experience to date is so appreciated.

Thanks guys. I so enjoy all your posts. Take care.

Regards,
J
2005 SL MO Super Black

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Keep us posted on your results. I can't speak for Canada but the MO did well here in the Northeast with all that snow we got last year. Of course they treat the roads pretty good around here. However as you may already know the MO's AWD is not bullet proof and you can easily get stuck as others have.

Perform a search and you will find some details.

·
4,601 Posts
This will be my fourth winter in the snow... With the GoodYears and I'm quite happy with it and them.

If you have a lot of deep snow, then some snow tires will increase your road noise and grip.

You'll have to go practice in the snow and learn how the AWD kicks in. I highly recommend it so you don't get surprised. If you're being playful and gas it off a stop while turning, the Murano detects the slide and engages the rear wheels, which actually, at that stage, can make your back end whip around and put you into the beginnings of a spin.

Some practice in a parking lot and you'll get the hang of it and it can actually be fun. Or turn on the AWD and it's more predictable.

Of course, this only happens when you're flooring it, it's not a normal driving occurance. (Don't want to scare you!)

If you don't like the reduced traction of all seasons in the winter, then get some snow tires... (Need a spare set of rims? Maybe I should part with mine...)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Being from Manitoba, I can probably comment. :)

The MO with the Goodyears is good in the winter, much better than the 2001 Maxima I replaced. But with a set of winter tires it is really a fantastic winter vehicle. I recommend the Dunlop Grandtrek SJ5 tires which you can get for about 900 installed.

Early last winter when I still had the Goodyears on I was given a 2000 Pathfinder loaner while my seat track was replaced and I have to say I found the MO to be a much better winter drive. The Pathfinder kept trying to fish out on turns in the auto 4WD setting since it is a rear drive system. I didn't feel the same confidence I have in the Mo. I was very happy to get the Mo back.

Ground clearance is the only complaint I have. 7.5 inches isn't that much with some of the snow drifts we can get around here. I got her stuck once in a drift but was quickly able to get out by shoveling away some of the snow packed under the body.

I'm sure you'll be happy this winter!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! Sounds similar to my Pathfinder. When I first got it, I took a few turns and suddenly the back end was sliding out like my old rear wheel drive Mustang! I thought, huh? Isnt this thing supposed to be AWD/Auto/4wd?

Well if it performed ok in the northeast then shouldnt be much different here. They salt our roads just like the rest.

When you say turn on the AWD, do you mean press the AWD button to lock it on? And if so, how fast can you go in AWD? I thought the owners manual said only to 6mph? For ex, my Pathfinder in the 4WD setting was supposed to not be taken over 50MPH...so if you lock the AWD in the MO, how fast can you drive? I am a bit confused...thanks !!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
jrbanderson1 said:
Thanks guys! Sounds similar to my Pathfinder. When I first got it, I took a few turns and suddenly the back end was sliding out like my old rear wheel drive Mustang! I thought, huh? Isnt this thing supposed to be AWD/Auto/4wd?

Well if it performed ok in the northeast then shouldnt be much different here. They salt our roads just like the rest.

When you say turn on the AWD, do you mean press the AWD button to lock it on? And if so, how fast can you go in AWD? I thought the owners manual said only to 6mph? For ex, my Pathfinder in the 4WD setting was supposed to not be taken over 50MPH...so if you lock the AWD in the MO, how fast can you drive? I am a bit confused...thanks !!!
I just read about this in the manual. Looks like you can only engage the AWD lock under 6mph and can only keep it there up to 18mph. If you exceed 18mph, the AWD switches back to Auto mode. I also recall our old 97 Pathfinder can go much faster in full 4WD (50mph sounds about right).

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
If you play with the system and engage the AWD be sure you are on slippery pavement. Never engage the lock on dry pavement or "normal" driving conditions. You will break something.

7.5" inches isn't much... but don't worry. Eventually you hit the CVT scoop on something and gain and extra 1.5" :2:

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
i believe you guys get the same amount (or more) of snow as compared to Sask.
i havent had any problems in the snow with this car. this was my first AWD, SUV and winter with a car. before this "da wafe" was hauling me around since i never really fit in a taurus. and being from southern asia, never had any experience with driving in snow.
but trust me, this car never gave me any problems. i never took it for even one practice,.... just remained cautious and kept firm grip on steering.... and yea, lots of reading about how the AWD works on this mo.....

i am sure this will exceed any of your expectations....

good luck !

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
comming from edmonton alberta, i'de suggest getting smaller wheels and dedicated snow tires. i honestly hate the goodyears in the snow and feel quite unsafe driving them in it. it's kinda strange how the differental works. i had this one experience where the mo hit a patch of ice and the front wheel started slipping very quickly and then the engine power just died so that the differental would engage. this was with the 03 MO we had. if your going to be driving on the highway try and stay on the shoveled lane as much as possible. if your going to pass someone on a snow covered lane do so with extreme caution. in my experince the mo tends to skip around on snow. the car itself is very capable of getting through the white stuff it's just the POS goodyears are preventing it to do so.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The stock goodyears are marginal in snow at best, but the AWD will get you through the snow if its not too deep. If you drive carefully I'm sure you won't have any problems. The verdict on the goodyears are varied - some people like them and some people don't.

·
4,601 Posts
I think it's pretty straight forward... If you're used to driving through your local winter without buying snow tires, you won't need them on the Murano. If you're used to buying them, you will need them.

There's no doubt that snows will give you better traction.

Being in an area of 5-6 million, it's rare that I drive on roads that aren't plowed, however, I have no problems driving on those handful of days were the roads have a foot or so of snow. Here, in the city, if the cars are getting stuck in front of you, it doesn't matter if you have snow tires because if the stock GY's can't make it, then the roads will be littered with vehicles blocking the roads anyway.

So it depends where you live, if snows are a useful investment.

By the way, the GY's have proven themselves to be good on ice. While other vehicles, including full 4x4's with snow tires, have been stuck, I've driven by them all in the Murano, including an off camber corner going up a hill. (With AWD locked on.)

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Stock good for one season

I found the stock 18" Goodyear's to be good for one winter. My first snow came three days after I bought the car.. a freak April snowstorm with about 2 inches of ice stuck in the middle of 4 inches of snow. Now drive 77 miles. I'd say it was a pretty good introduction. The technology and power were mind-blowing. Just point the wheel and gas it. Like a summer afternoon, but with 9 inches of snow on the ground.

The car and tires were a top-notch combination that first winter, but it didn't take long for them to become "slicks". Even at 8/32" after 50k miles, my dealer says they are only "halfway through". I now dread the rain and downright fear the snow. Whereas the AWD/VDC/ABS was my rare safety net the first winter, it is now a regular occurence on nearly every turn, start and stop. I only haven't changed the tires out yet because I'm in a busy travel season for work and will probably drive the car about an hour a week before next spring. The moment word comes that I have to rely upon my car as a daily ride is the day I order snows and start thinking about new summer rubber.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts