Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In their latest issue (March/April 2004) of "Home & Away", AAA picked the Nissan Murano as their 2004 Top Pick for 'Under $30,000 SUV', stating: "The Murano is more car than truck. It signals a move to car-like SUVs that put comfort and handling ahead of off-road ruggedness." They also like the CVT commenting that it allowed for better engine efficiency and gas mileage.

MO does it AGAIN! :2:

Who got, "Over $30,000 SUV"? The Lexus GX470.

·
Registered
781 Posts
That's pretty good news! I wish I woulda got mine under $30K though :)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
AAA's selection criteria are probably based on the price of the vehicle, and fuel economy. Seeing how it is pretty much impossible to get the EPA's numbers of 20/24 in normal driving, it is interesting that the Murano would win on that merit!

What I find even harder to believe is that in EPA tests, the actual numbers they achieve are reduced by 10% city and 22% highway to reflect "real world conditions." Now I don't know about you, but I find it absolutely ridiculous to think the Murano could have gotten 22/30 in the EPA test cycle.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Eric L. said:
Now I don't know about you, but I find it absolutely ridiculous to think the Murano could have gotten 22/30 in the EPA test cycle.
I've driven my car both ways. The way I normally drive and the way they tell you you should drive. When I drove it my normal method in the city (quick acceleration off the lines and 5-10 MPH over the posted speed limits) I ended up with a MPG of about 15-16. Now, when I drove it very carefully, my city MPG was around 21. And I live in Central MA which is very hilly. So I can actually believe the 22 if driven properly (which a majority of us don't do).

I can't drive less than 70 MPH on the highway, so I didn't even test that one. :)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
mordel said:

I've driven my car both ways. The way I normally drive and the way they tell you you should drive. When I drove it my normal method in the city (quick acceleration off the lines and 5-10 MPH over the posted speed limits) I ended up with a MPG of about 15-16. Now, when I drove it very carefully, my city MPG was around 21. And I live in Central MA which is very hilly. So I can actually believe the 22 if driven properly (which a majority of us don't do).

I can't drive less than 70 MPH on the highway, so I didn't even test that one. :)
I notice that the EPA test cycle has a max speed in the city cycle of 52mph. Now in the city I live in, there is no where you can go 52, so I guess the stop and go traffic and low speeds (my trip computer shows an average speed of 18mph or so if I drive all city) kills my city mileage.

Fed up with 15mpg while driving like a granny, I decided to drive normally a couple weeks ago and got my prize - a speeding ticket for 48 in a 35. Grrr...:3:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Eric L. said:

I notice that the EPA test cycle has a max speed in the city cycle of 52mph.
I would like to know what city this is. The highest mph I see allowed here is 40, and that's on two lane divided roads that run through the city in certain places.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts