Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAVE RECENTLY ORDERED A LOADED SILVER SE FOR MY WIFE, BUT I HAVE BECOME VERY CONCERED AT THE GROWING NUMBER OF PROBLEMS LISTED. RATTLES, SQUEEKS, LOOSE STEERING RACKS, LOOSE STEERING WHEEL BOLTS, CVT VENT GETTING CLOGGED DRIVING OVER GRASS, TO ME THERE ARE WAY TOO MANY RANDOM PROBLEMS LISTED ALONG WITH COMMON PROBLEMS SUCH AS THE WINDOW TICK, POP. MY WIFE I DISABLED AND THER IS A GREAT CONCERN...IS THIS CAR/SUV EVEN SAFE. :confused: THE SAD THING IS I LOOKED AND RESEACHED THE TOUREQ, MDX, HIGHLANDER, RX 330, AND OTHERS. WHAT IS HAPPED TO THE QUALITY THAT THE JAPAN BUILT CARS USED TO HAVE OVER DOMESTICS:confused: ANY SUGGESTIONS AM I BEING OVER CRITICAL?

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
my opinion...over critical. Other's here will tell you otherwise, but I can't help but smile each time I get in my car. It's fun to drive, and I don't suffer from any of these issues except the window rattle. I feel that if you are hesitant, then don't buy it. The fact of the matter is that my car is a great car, and the less of them I see the easier it will be to spot mine in the parking lot. On the otherhand, you could take a chance and you may actually get a great car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Doc, I think you'll find the vast majority of folks are completely happy with their MO - I know I am, after 12,000 miles and almost one year of ownership.

Yes there are some valid complaints, true of any vehicle etc etc..

Drive the actual car you're getting for an hour or so; if you're happy with it, buy it.

Good luck and happy hunting.

-z-

·
Registered
26 Posts
On decision to buy

15K miles on SL AWD and no problems except the occasional brake pad squeal when backing out of driveway. I understand that there's a dealer fix for this, and I'll be taking care of this soon.

I've not had any rattles or other misc window noise.

I concur that this is a well built car with a proven engine, a cutting edge CVT transmission, and price-performance/value ratio 2nd to none. All this in a fairly large vehicle, with great performance, and 24 mpg at hiway cruising speed!

I compared this $30K-ish vehicle to Chrysler Pacifica, VW Tourage, Porsche Cayenne, and some Audi wagons. For me, the choice was easy.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I agree that the MO is a good car. I have almost 10k on mine with out a rattle or probelm. It is extremely fun to drive and has great hiway manners. I have a problem driving my wife's yukon xl now that I have driven a trans. with CVT. Who wants to wait for the tranny to shift to accelerate? I am very please and recommend this car to anyone. I got mine because of a recommendations from others. Just don't drive down my street and have my neighbors start looking at your MO instead of mine.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Generally speaking, forums like this one are excellent sources for knowledge and information. Unfortunately, they are also a place where the minority of people who have problems, vent their frustration over problems and poor dealership service. These people certainly have a right to be upset but it does tend to give a person who is not currently driving a Murano the wrong impression. It's sort of like the evening TV news. If a plane crashes and 10 people are killed, thats reported.......the other 999,000 planes that didn't crash are not reported...

·
Matthew Lesko
102 Posts
The "Caps Lock" key is about a half inch away from the "A".

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree, you have to remember. People don't generally tell you all the good things about a product on these forums. all though it may seem like a lot of people have similar problems, there are many of us who have not seen them. It also has to do with perception. Most of the problems I've seen posted on this board, IMHO are minor. I'm a member of several forums and EVERY automobile has problem areas. BTW I love my Murano, it is quite possibly the best all around vehicle I've ever owned. Sheer silver is cool!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I do not like the rattles, but everything else I can live with since they are easily repaired. That said, I do not think you will find a better crossover vehicle in this price range than the Murano. The drivetrain is fantastic, the handling is nearly sporty, and the styling is futuristic. It is an excellent vehicle. Don't mistake poor dealership service for a poor vehicle.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Doc, I can tell you the Murano is safe.

I've been in 2 major collisions in my poor Murano. (Everybody calls it a "MO" here.) I came out of it relatively unscathed and I can attest to the MO's safety.

The first accident was a violent rear-end accident. The frame bent as it was supposed to and absorbed most of the impact. While the MO isn't cheap to fix, it does do what it's designed to do. All I can say is, "Add a tow hitch" to keep cars from going under the MO in an accident.

The 2nd accident was a T-boning. Someone in a LARGE landscaping truck ran a light and T-Boned my MO on the passenger side. The side curtain airbag and side impact airbags deployed, the hatch opened (depositing my rear contents on the street as I spun 180 degrees at 30 mph), the impact cause the rear differential to explode and both rear axles were sheared from the rear differential. NOT ONCE did the MO feel like it was going to roll and I'm convinced the ABS and VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) did it's job. (Unfortunately not even ABS and VDC can overcome the laws of physics... hence why I spun 180 degrees from the impact.) The side of my Murano was heavily damaged, but thankfully none of the glass broke. And for as pushed-in as the passenger rear door was, the interior door panel didn't intrude into the passenger compartment. In fact, there was absolutely ZERO intrusion into the passenger compartment.

I would not have any reservations about buying another MO (and was going to, but my plans changed.) I think you should keep your order and feel safe and confident behind the wheel of the MO.

Bob

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Caruso said:
The "Caps Lock" key is about a half inch away from the "A".
WHERE? WHERE? HELP ME!! DANG IT, OH, WAit.. Nevermind.

Hey Caruso,
Where did you get that cool little dancing cloud-like doughboy thing in your signature?

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
i have driven a much more problematic cars than MO...

Overall, i like the murano, so far it requires medium-low maintenance.

RX330, MDX and Touareg are good comparo againts the MO.

Comfort experience:
I must admit that these 3 suvs are above MO in terms of comfort.
This is if you define comfort as floaty, colonial, non bumpy, nimble, not-able to-feel-the-road.

Driving experience:
To me rx330 and touareg are too floaty and drives
like real suv. Murano, on the other hand, drives like normal sedan/car. Comparable to my A4.

Power experience:
To me, only MDX that can compete with Murano in terms of throttle response, engine power, agility and tourque availability when it is needed etc. RX330 is too nimble, it take quit a while for the engine to rev up. Touareg, is too heavy at 5000+lbs...
If you are not getting the V8, then dont get the touareg.
You will regret it, even a new dodge neon can beat you.

Safety experience:
All cars this days, especially around $30+K SUV, are pretty save.
MO, touareg, rx330 and mdx have air bags, curtain air bags, vdc, awd, abs, stability control, crumple zone for the engine etc.
What you need is common sense while driving.

Good luck with the car shopping.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Overall it is a very appealing vehicle as you obviously appreciate and has a lot of features that more expensive vehicles have.:claphead:

As for safety I had the unfortunate chance to experience a 180 slide on dry pavement with mine while trying to avoid an accident happening on the hwy. Overall I was impressed at how well the vehicle responded under abrupt emergency maneuvers and also the stability while sliding sideways on dry pavement at hwy speed. So yeah I think it is safe!:claphead:

I have had many annoying problems with my MO but they are all pretty minor and can be corrected. It would be nice if all vehicles came out of the factory perfect but they don't. Some people get the problems and can be unhappy some have bliss from day one. You run this risk no matter what you buy.

My only beef is not really with the MO but with Nissan. Their service is crap!:flush: The only problem with the MO is that it is part of the low end of the company (Nissan vs. Infiniti) and the service reflects this. If you get an RX330 or an MDX you are more likely to get "prefered" service. When handled correctly, problems are no big deal and customers remain happy regardless, and this is something Nissan needs to learn. I also have an ES300 and it also was not perfect. But! When I had a problem they merely said "yes sir, sorry sir, we will take care of it right away sir" and they did. No fuss, no hassle. And guess what, I still love it years later. My experience with Nissan service has left a bitter taste in my mouth and would likely deter me from buying their product again. My only point to this ramble is that one should not only be happy with the vehicle but also consider ongoing service as well.

·
Registered
792 Posts
If I were to buy another SUV/Crossover it'd be a Murano or a BMW X5 4.6. Since I can't afford the Bimmer...

It still is fun to drive. It is quick enough to get out of its own way. Subtle enough to not attract attention. Different enough to stand out. The most comfortable vehicle I have EVER been in - including the backseats which there is enough room for adults to sit comfortably. I'm somewhat used to rattles. It does kind of bother me and I wish they were less - BUT the benefits far outweigh the rattles. I can't say anything bad about it. I've had great service from the dealership whenever needed.

·
4,664 Posts
Wow, interesting opinions...

First of all, like having a good or crappy manager to work for in a good or crappy company as your employer, both are huge factors.

The Murano's an excellant product, as far as I'm concerned, and the minor annoyances that most of us stand on soap boxes and b!tch about are rectified pretty quickly if you have a good dealer.

So find a good dealer, and you'll be happy. I wouldn't trade the Murano for anything, unless it was significantly more expensive, so I could either 1) get all snotty about what I had and that I got it for a Murano, or 2) Sell it for more money than a Murano costs, and go get another one.

I have 0 regrets with the Murano. Every day of driving is a joy and pleasure. I have no envy of other vehicles on the road...

Every company has idiots and Nissan North America has them too, but most of them have done a good job.

Just find a good dealer and life with a Murano is happiness.

Well, at least it's been for me and every one I've met with one..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback. I am going to keep my mo on order and hope for the best. I agree that the murano is a great value for the money and that is why I ordered one. I WOULD LIKE TO EXPECIALLY THANK CARUSO FOR EXPLANING TO ME WHERE
THE CAP LOCK KEY IS LOCATED....FYI IT IS ACTUALLY 1/2" FROM THE A KEY:2: :2: It is just easier between patients to hit the cap lock key! Drive safe. Doc.
:)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
DOC, my two cents. Someone told me if I buy something other than the Murano, I would probably regret it. You see I had been looking at several SUV's but came back over and over to the Murano.
I liked it better than the rest and can report no problems, no rattles, just a great looking and driving machine.
If you look on any car site you will find moans and groans. What you won't find are tons of people saying everything is just ducky!
Just human nature to share a problems and compare notes and find a fix but not much need to share "no problems posts."
I can only speak for myself but I'd do it again without regrets.
Hope this helps.
Bob1

·
Matthew Lesko
102 Posts
DOC. said:
Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback. I am going to keep my mo on order and hope for the best. I agree that the murano is a great value for the money and that is why I ordered one. I WOULD LIKE TO EXPECIALLY THANK CARUSO FOR EXPLANING TO ME WHERE
THE CAP LOCK KEY IS LOCATED....FYI IT IS ACTUALLY 1/2" FROM THE A KEY:2: :2: It is just easier between patients to hit the cap lock key! Drive safe. Doc.
:)
Here I'll quote myself:

"The "Caps Lock" key is about a half inch away from the "A"."

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wow! Everyone has said it before me--MO is one great car. Great CVT and road-handling features, great safety rating, and most important, a really great ride. I love the acceleration and response, love the interior, love the appearance. Buying my midnight blue/latte MO was the best car decision ever!:7:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Count me and my spouse among the happy MO owners. 9k miles with no rattles. The one issue we had was quickly fixed. Join the club! :18:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts