Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MO outsmarted me (Nah)

Man, these autos are getting smarter by the day,

as a precaution against getting locked out accidently, with key inside the car ( has happened with many MOwners). I got a plain key duplicated at hardware store. Needless to say this key is without any transponder chip. I figured, I know it wont start the car but at least it will unlock the door.

Boy I was wrong, tried the key and MO will not let you unlock. You can hear system locks the car instantly again. :4:

So to have a spare with you, you gotta carry one of the originals with you.

·
101 Posts
What if you turn the key to unlock the door, then pulled on the door handle before turning the key back to remove it?

·
Registered
828 Posts
What happens if you turn the key, hold it there to see if windows roll down?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Did you get a valet key?
I did.
Standard issue.

Seems like that would do the trick here.

Homer

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The logic is, there is a transponder reader in the DOOR LOCK also, in addition to at ignition.

No function will work. As a matter of fact, I can see the security light on the dash turn solid red, indicating that security system is detecting "intrusion". Glad it did not start sounding alarm, I could have been in trouble for trying to "steal" my own MO :eek:

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Perhaps it was just a badly duplicated key. The antitheft system is supposed to detect whether a foreign object is being used to unlock the door (like a screwdriver or a slimjim throught he window gap). I doubt there is a transponder system in the door keyhole.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Oh my eyes my eyes!

After reading the SM...I agree with Eric. The section on the NVIS/NATS only talks about the ignition switch and the section on the door lock has no mention of NVIS/NATS. Further, the antenna and amp for the ID key is around/near the ignition switch.

Easy test though. Hold the real key close to the door lock and use the dupe.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Enforcer said:
Oh my eyes my eyes!

After reading the SM...I agree with Eric. The section on the NVIS/NATS only talks about the ignition switch and the section on the door lock has no mention of NVIS/NATS. Further, the antenna and amp for the ID key is around/near the ignition switch.

Easy test though. Hold the real key close to the door lock and use the dupe.
Enforcer, Good Idea.

Well, can't be bad key, it turns smoothly in cylinder but will not unlock.

Will try your idea and report.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm interested in the outcome of this test. I've been planning on getting a plain duplicate made just for the doors.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I also had a spare key made at a hardware store that I carry in my wallet. I immediately tried it in the door and it was a little hard to turn, but it did unlock the door. Just last week, I couldn't find my keys and looked in the car and saw them sitting on the front seat. I immediately pulled the spare out and was able to unlock the door.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got another key made, YES it worked.

There must have been something wrong with the first one.

Issue resolved, sorry for the confusion. Now I can hide the valet key in the car, have a duplicate in my wallet and I will hopefully never be in the soup.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Ding ding ding!!! It was a bad key! I wonder if those plastic credit card keys will work in the Murano. I had one of those made by AAA for the Maxima and it saved me many times.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts