Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have some parts experts out there. I need some advice.

I have a 2004 sheer silver Mo, and I just got rear-ended. Not serious, but I sustained some damage. The sheer silver colored section of my rear bumper seems intact with no damage and doesn't appear to be deformed.

Here's the problem... I have some scrape marks and a good indentation from the impact located within the darker gray colored section of the lower portion of the rear bumper. It was a low riding minivan that hit me, so I guess it scooped my rear.

I was thinking that maybe I can just have the darker colored section of the rear bumper replaced, since that's the only section that was damaged. However, it seems as if the dark section and the sheer silver sections of the rear bumper are "one piece" - or two pieces fused together. Which means the other driver would have to replace the entire rear bumper just to make my Mo look as good as new again. That's gotta be very expensive, just to repair some scrapes.

Any tips, comments, or suggestions? :confused:

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
I think..

I was thinking that maybe I can just have the darker colored section of the rear bumper replaced, since that's the only section that was damaged. However, it seems as if the dark section and the sheer silver sections of the rear bumper are "one piece" - or two pieces fused together. Which means the other driver would have to replace the entire rear bumper just to make my Mo look as good as new again. That's gotta be very expensive, just to repair some scrapes.
I think you are right, it is one whole piece and the entire rear bumper need to be replaced.
Why do you care about being expensive or not? The other person is at fault and he/she should be more than compell to pay...:4:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Doesn't the other guy have insurance? Let his insurance deal with it. When I damaged my rear bumper (my fault) and got two estimates. both body shops told me that they could match the color but not the texture of the lower bumper. The estimates varied- repairing the old bumper, about $500 to $600. Replacing it about $750. Either way it's going to cost.

Ed :3:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, that's what I figured.

Normally, I'm the type to just go for the other driver's insurance coverage. In this case though, the driver was suffering from a diabetic episode and "jumped the gun" at the stop light and then rear ended me. I figured that the cost would be below the $1,000 deductible or close to $500, so I was just trying to make it easier on the poor woman. I felt sorry for her - overweight, diabetic, looked like she's not very well-off. I was thinking of finding the lowest cost "fix" (that makes my Mo look new again) and have her pay cash so that her insurance company wasn't involved - so that her premiums don't go up.

Thanks for you comments. I'll go visit my friend's body shop ASAP. I'll also check with the dealer and see who they use for bodywork.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
That is very nice of you to care so much about others, and I am also normally that way. But I guess I also belong to the group that holds people accountable for their actions, e.g. have an imparement then do not operate something that potentially can harm others.

Also, in most cases deductibles apply only if the insurance company pays for the insureds damages. When they pay for the other party's damages, they will pay in full. Also, insurance companies do not automatically raise premiums unless a law is broken. In this case, she fell ill so her insuarnce company is sure to take that in to account and not hold it against her.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree with zebelkhan. It would probably cost her more out of pocket than if her insurance were to pay for it, even if her rates go up,which they shouldn't, unless she's got a rash of accidents.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
And it may even cost you too as the estimates are always just that, an estimate. You never know what you will discover once the actuall disassembly begins. If you don't let the insuarance handle it and something is discovered damaged later on during repair then you will end up paying for it since you have already settled with the other driver.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm the type of person who tries to be respectable and caring towards others, but... sometimes you can only go so far. What kind of car was she driving? If it were my car, I'd be more inclined to have a new Nissan bumper, not a painted one - I'd think Bordeaux is a harder match. Your silver MO might be less of a problem.

My in-laws got rear ended a couple months back but some girl (21yo) in a VW Bug. She failed to stop in time while they were waiting at a stop light. My mother in law sustained a little whiplash on that one.

Did your active head restraint work or did she not hit hard enough??

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
While I respect your kindness gfab333 ...but

Zebelkhan:
That is very nice of you to care so much about others, and I am also normally that way. But I guess I also belong to the group that holds people accountable for their actions, e.g. have an imparement then do not operate something that potentially can harm others.
I agree with zebelkhan. IF one is impaired, dont drive. It is lucky the woman rear ended another car and not kill a pedestrian.
I will insist for the lady's insurance to pay for damage. You will never know whether it is only the bumper that was damaged or there is more to it...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for more comments. I appreciate it!

Bordeaux, she just tapped me. maybe 2-4 mph is my guess. Nothing deployed. It's been 24 hours and no new pains, other than the aches and pains that I already had.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Yo might try a Junk Yard parts supply on the web, if you want a lower cost source. Might even find the right color.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Shouldn't be too expensive. I had the front bumper (skin) replaced after that guy ran the red light back in Dec.

~$650, with color matching and moving the fog lights, etc, to the new bumper.
Rear shouldn't be more. Probably less.

·
4,994 Posts
I don't "know", but I sure read about lots of folks on this forum getting rear ended. But If he really wants to save money a phone call is pretty easy to check it out. I said Maybe in the right color, but it will already be off the Mo and can be "shot' at the paint shop pretty easily.

·
Registered
420 Posts
When by rear bumper was damaged, I went out and got a few estimates. Since the part was being supplied by the dealer, I just got labor estimates. They were all just over $500.00. The bumper itself is around $250.00 retail.

·
Registered
74 Posts
gfab

Maybe your friends body shop can cut some of the labor off the install for you.

Any news/price on that?

Glad it was a minor rear-ended hit and you are ok.

·
4,994 Posts
Ed Di Lorenzo You were right! I searched all the junk yards er. (recyclers) and didn't find one. :(

·
Registered
55 Posts
GripperDon said:
Ed Di Lorenzo You were right! I searched all the junk yards er. (recyclers) and didn't find one. :(
Gripp-When I damaged my bumper, I backed in to a boat...I think it was a Mercury Monterey (damned blind spot!), the skin popped out and I got a dent the size of a half-dollar, plus the lower bumber was scraped. The MO was just 2 months old at the time so I was quite upset. I got 2 estimates and like I said before, they were in the $500 to $750 range. I went junkyard hopping, but the Mo was too new to find anything then. The one body shop did pop the skin back in to place and then the MO didn't look as bad because the dent and scrape are kinda on the underside. I decided in the end not to get it repaired unless something else happened. Parking in Chicago can be an adventure and I couldn't see spending $700 only to have it scuffed up again by a careless(and anonymous) parker a couple of weeks later. I'm still one of those guys that park at the far end of parking lots. Less chance of getting dings and good excercise to boot!

Ed

·
4,994 Posts
Probably why those big bumper crash bars thingys are so popular in the big cities.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts