Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Mo friends,
As we discussed https://www.nissanmurano.org/threads/when-are-we-getting-a-redesigned-murano.224756/
most likely we wont see redesign Murano anytime soon or at all.
Some of us drives a lot and and its probably a time to start looking for replacement.
My question is if you did start: what were you considered?

My list of preferences
V6
LED headlights
Heated rear seats
Trunk space above 30sq.f

We considered:
new Pathfinder, but for some odd reason Nissan puts captain’s seats in upper trims and bench is not available, its available in Canada but not in US. And car build in US
Atlas Cross Sport - a lot to like about, except blind spot warning don’t beep, it just flesh light and light is outside. Also found a lot of complains about coolant pump leaks and head gaskets. Also a lot of cheap plastics.
Santa Fe - its not V6 but we decided to try it, like interior a lot but transmission hot it shifts first 3 gears was terrible.
Jeep Grand Cherokee L - you need to see the build quality, I thought Mo was build bad you should see GC L. Plus it was making terrible noise on relatively flat road.

Thats it for now, Im hopping for new Mo if not Im not sure what and where to look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
My Murano lease is due at the end of November and my only "must" at this point is that the replacement have a higher towing capacity. That said, with the car market the way it is right now, I might see if it's possible to extend my lease 3-6 months with hope that the supply issues have gotten better and the market a bit less favored to the dealers. Either way, I've been researching what might work for me as a replacement (haven't test-driven anything yet, though) and I'm probably going to check out the Blazer, Edge, Santa Cruz, and Ridgeline. Don't want a 3-row SUV.

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
69 Posts
Honda Passport maybe? Not sure about heated rear seats but maybe in the Elite model level? Chevy Blazer? Subaru Outback or Ascent with larger 2.4 engine?

Currently, I think Ford Edge is closest to being discounted and in some oversupply but most are 4 cyl. ST is hotrod with V6.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honda Passport first row hand rests just can’t stand them, why they cant create wide hand rest as Mo or any other car has.

Subaru has CVT which I like to avoid,
Its probably better than Nissan’s CVT.

Need to check Blazer and Edge

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
69 Posts
When I bought my Murano in 2018 it came down to the Edge or the Murano. The seats in the Murano were what made my decision. The 2.7 V6 in the ST is great fun and doesn't require premium fuel but $$$. In 2018 I also drove pre-owned Lincoln MKX's, now the Nautilus, and those were really nice--basically loaded Edges. (Likewise the Caddy XT5 is on the same chassis as the Blazer.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
We considered:
new Pathfinder, but for some odd reason Nissan puts captain’s seats in upper trims and bench is not available, its available in Canada but not in US. And car build in US snaptube vidmate
Atlas Cross Sport - a lot to like about, except blind spot warning don’t beep, it just flesh light and light is outside. Also found a lot of complains about coolant pump leaks and head gaskets. Also a lot of cheap plastics.
Santa Fe - its not V6 but we decided to try it, like interior a lot but transmission hot it shifts first 3 gears was terrible.
Jeep Grand Cherokee L - you need to see the build quality, I thought Mo was build bad you should see GC L. Plus it was making terrible noise on relatively flat road.
Nice recommendations, If it was me I will suppose most of what in the list

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm looking at the Genesis GV70. It just came out but has been getting some good early press in Consumer Reports and the WSJ. I'm probably a year or two away from trading in, but that's the window when I usually start looking around for my next ride. After two Muranos (which I've thoroughly enjoyed), its future seems uncertain and the GV70 might be a good fit. I'm hoping the reliability stats other good impressions hold up as time goes on.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm looking at the Genesis GV70. It just came out but has been getting some good early press in Consumer Reports and the WSJ. I'm probably a year or two away from trading in, but that's the window when I usually start looking around for my next ride. After two Muranos (which I've thoroughly enjoyed), its future seems uncertain and the GV70 might be a good fit. I'm hoping the reliability stats other good impressions hold up as time goes on.
Agreed, GV70 is very impressive. And looks like a high quality build.
Need to see it live, touch and drive.
Not many of them in our area so far

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I was hoping for a redesign murano with automatic transmission for my next car

None of these cars appeals to me, even the new Pathfinder. They look too boxy, I love the murano futuristic look.

I heard it is not a good time to buy a car right now because of the shortage of parts that makes it more expensive.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was hoping for a redesign murano with automatic transmission for my next car

None of these cars appeals to me, even the new Pathfinder. They look too boxy, I love the murano futuristic look.

I heard it is not a good time to buy a car right now because of the shortage of parts that makes it more expensive.
Im with you, would love to get Mo with ZF9. Mo is the perfect size for us, and with V6 all just right.
New cars cost a lot, but trade in value is also above the roof, best path would be sell now and wait a year or so ))

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
69 Posts
I just read a comparison of the Murano and Chevy Blazer and they are close to identical in every spec, within an inch. Blazer has a 9 speed auto trans and Blazer V6 has more horsepower. I doubt GM reliability is anywhere close to Nissan's. A lot of people don't like the Blazer because it's not a tough off-roader but a city car. I prefer the Blazer's looks to the Murano, at least the exterior. "Futuristic" designed vehicles become dated early, and they look like crap when they are dirty, rusty, and dented. Like phony junkyard spaceships :)

Boxy and tough looks are the market trend right now because everyone has fantasies of offroading and overlanding and being self-sufficient to get away from people. All of the new Pathfinder commercials show it offroading in dirt and mud. Nissan would be selling 2-3x more Xterras than Muranos right now IMO.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Reliability is a very tough subject, if plan is to keep car past warranty.

Comparing RDX to Murano, its also very close in size and reliability. Wish they kept V6 in RDX.
According to this 2022 RDXs will come
well loaded (found it on Acura site)

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
69 Posts
The RDX is smaller. Before 2019 it was a Honda CR-V with lipstick and a V6. I think the 2019 is a new in-between chassis but it's smaller than a Murano inside and for cargo. And more expensive, and needs premium fuel, etc...

The MDX and Honda Pilot are their next size up, and the Passport is a sawed off Pilot. I would pick the Passport in this class of vehicle but remember your armrest thing (fold it up and use a block of upholstered foam on the console?). And the Passport is boxy and tall, not swoopy. There is always the Lexus RX which is an overpriced Murano clone with angles instead of pointy curves and at a much higher price :)

One issue with all Honda's V6 is that you need to change the timing belt at 100k miles and it's not cheap. The GM V6's have great specs but I don't trust them for 200k miles.

All Acuras require premium fuel...which in this age costs a LOT more than regular. Lexus RX is down to regular fuel as a requirement. And Toyotas have dual injectors, which I much prefer over only having direct injection.

I drove a '98 Acura 2.5TL for about 8 years and really like Honda/Acura but their seats are incompatible with my spine.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
According to Edmunds RDX is not that small vs Murano. Cargo, Yes just a but smaller but overall its very close.

RX im not sure what Lexus engineers were thinking, cargo space is just 16cu.ft. Maybe the Lexus buyers travels with credit cards only and don’t care luggage with them. Otherwise RX is very promising.

Honda, Passport need to check it out, timing belt replacement it should be around $2K service, I might do it myself.

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
69 Posts
I'd think more like $1200 for a Honda V6 timing belt, maybe a bit more if you replace idlers and water pump. We'll see how inflation goes by the time a new Honda has 100k miles on it. (Or maybe the belt change is 105k miles.)

I think my old '98 Acura was around a grand for that work and my 2009 Subaru Forester, which replaced it, was also around a grand for the timing belt job--both of these with idlers and water pump replacements. If inflation goes crazy for 5-10 years it might be 2 grand. But the Honda V6 is a GREAT engine. I have 2 friends, one with an Odyssey and one with an Accord, who have gone way over 250k miles without any engine problems other than changing the timing belt and plugs.

The Nissan VQ35DE is also a great engine, no belt, and no direct injection or turbos as it appears in the Murano. Another really good V6 is the Chrysler Pentastar 3.6--no belt, no direct injection, no turbos, lots of power. I have a '16 Grand Caravan with that engine. But I don't know about the Grand Cherokee which is moving to a new platform and not sure I would trust it before it's had some time to prove itself.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We’ve tested 2021 Jeep GC, but lack of LED headlight and poor IIHS ratings, stopped us from purchasing it

I believe Jeep kept V6 and trany unchanged in upcoming redesigned GC its on our list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Administrator
9,099 Posts
I sought out the current series Jeep GC because of the Mercedes design. So far it has worked out very well. LED headlights are not a requirement for me, since the biggest factors in headlight effectiveness are the reflectors and lens.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Reliability is a very tough subject, if plan is to keep car past warranty.

Comparing RDX to Murano, its also very close in size and reliability. Wish they kept V6 in RDX.
According to this 2022 RDXs will come
well loaded (found it on Acura site)

RDX is way too small.Basically a gussied up CRV.

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
69 Posts
Current RDX is built on a bigger platform then the CR-V, actually. But it's still smaller than the Mo, weighs more than the Mo, and has a turbo 4 cylinder engine--and does not get better gas mileage than the Mo in addition to needing premium fuel.

I don't remember if Grand Cherokee non-L is supposed to be the Fiat/Alfa based redesign like the Grand Cherokee L. I might not want a Chrysler product from its first year. I am all for supporting the Grand Cherokee though, because it's built about 6 miles from my house and employs UAW employees in my area. (My Grand Caravan was built 20 miles from my house but in Canada by CAW/Unifor workers.) I grew up in Detroit in a UAW family and my wife was IBEW.

Forgot if there was a problem with the Ford Edge aside from the turbo 4--it's way cheaper than the RDX and probably no less reliable. And won't need premium fuel despite being a turbo.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The Honda Pilot is a pretty nice looking CUV. I dont know if its a V6 though. Sister bought one a few months ago.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts