Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that on any type of incline if you let go of the break pedal -- MO will roll backwards.

In any other cars the transmissioin would not let the car roll back. My old Mercedes 420 SEL had some sort of a gizmo that held the car, my frend's Subaru Legacy doesn't roll back, and my old Audi A4 also didn't roll. With the CVT it seems that the car is rolling back freely.

Any suggestions or feedback on this?

·
Registered
842 Posts
DrMurano said:
I have noticed that on any type of incline if you let go of the break pedal -- MO will roll backwards.

In any other cars the transmissioin woul not let the car roll back. My old Mercedes 420 SEL had some sor of a gizmo that held the car, my frend's Subaru Legacy doesn't roll back, and my old Audi A4 also didn't roll. With the CVT it seems that the car is rolling back freely.

Any suggestions or feedback on this?
I noticed to that it rolls back more than the last car I had ( 92 Caravan). I have now got everyone in my family in the habit to use the parking brake before you take your foot off the brake to prevent the roll. I do not know if the CVT is like the old style transmission, when you shift into park, that a pin is install on the output shaft to stop the car from rolling.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Are you talking about rolling back a few inches when you put it in P on an incline (this is because of lack of real pawls on the CVT which has no true gears).

or...

the fact that the car rolls back if you take your foot off the brake while in D? (Stopped at a stop sign that's on a hill for example)

·
4,601 Posts
It's my impression you're talking about two different things.

The first is at idle in D while at a stop light, for example, and the second is in P with the engine off.

I'm not sure, but I seem to remember it drags less in D at low speed, so that observation that it can't hold itself at idle on a slight incline, like a conventional transmission, may be true.

In P, there is definately more slack as to where it's final resting place is. I'm in the habit of using the parking brake daily, in my garage, as I don't want it slipping back a bit. (Tight fit and could get too close to the garage door!)

Depending on where everything lines up, it may slip back a little or a lot, when you put it in park. I also like to use the parking brake, as I feel it keeps the stress off the driveline. (This from the same guy who floors it, from stop lights...):D

·
Registered
5 Posts
This might help. My Murano is replacing an Audi A4 2.5TDI Multitronic (CVT) and the following is a quote from a supplement to the owners manual regarding the Multitronic gearbox which was reasonably new at the time (early 2002):

"Please note that on vehicles with a Multitronic gearbox, torque is transmitted via a multi-plate clutch, and not via a torque converter as on conventional automatics. This means that the car will not 'creep' as much as conventional automatics when the engine is idling if you stop temporarily with the selector lever in position D or R. This is something you should bear in mind - particularly on gradients - if you have previously driven a conventional automatic with torque converter and are not accustomed to this particular characteristic of the Multitronic"

also:

"To prevent the vehicle from rolling away, apply the hand-brake before moving off on a steep gradient"

So I'm afraid it's a trait of the CVT gearbox and something I've had to get used to living in a hilly region - just now I've got to get used to a foot-brake!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CVT

What I was referring to in my original post was -- when I am driving and stop on the incline (transmission in D), if I lift my foot of the brake pedal, the car will roll back.

I think all of the cars with AT will roll back somewhat when placed
in P. All of these things don't really bother me much, it is just kind of strange when the car starts to roll. It is not a safety issue my any means.

·
4,601 Posts
Orican said:
This might help. My Murano is replacing an Audi A4 2.5TDI Multitronic (CVT) and the following is a quote from a supplement to the owners manual regarding the Multitronic gearbox which was reasonably new at the time (early 2002):

"Please note that on vehicles with a Multitronic gearbox, torque is transmitted via a multi-plate clutch, and not via a torque converter as on conventional automatics. This means that the car will not 'creep' as much as conventional automatics when the engine is idling if you stop temporarily with the selector lever in position D or R. This is something you should bear in mind - particularly on gradients - if you have previously driven a conventional automatic with torque converter and are not accustomed to this particular characteristic of the Multitronic"

also:

"To prevent the vehicle from rolling away, apply the hand-brake before moving off on a steep gradient"

So I'm afraid it's a trait of the CVT gearbox and something I've had to get used to living in a hilly region - just now I've got to get used to a foot-brake!
The Murano has a torque converter, not a clutch. If the Audi had a torque converter, it's CVT would have been cooked, as it can't handle the torque multiplication a torque converter provides as it's no where near as strong or capable as the Murano's CVT.

There's some good info on that, in the CVT threads.

I've found different conventional automatics to "pull" differently from vehicle to vehicle. So that didn't surprise me on the Murano.

What I really like, is the engine braking effect. The Murano's transmission is like a crossover from a CVT to a manual, in that aspect. It doesn't coast like an auto does. Especially in S or L.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Re: CVT

DrMurano said:
What I was referring to in my original post was -- when I am driving and stop on the incline (transmission in D), if I lift my foot of the brake pedal, the car will roll back.

I think all of the cars with AT will roll back somewhat when placed
in P. All of these things don't really bother me much, it is just kind of strange when the car starts to roll. It is not a safety issue my any means.
There is a little hill by me with stop sign on it... in other cars, when I've come to a stop, I can take my foot off the gas and the break. The car will just sit there on this little hill in drive. I assume there is enough gas being given to fight the roll back of the hill.

In the Mo, when I stop on this hill, I roll back down the hill. and not that slowely either. So I know exactly what you mean DrMurano.

When I pull into my garage, and put Mo in park, it also rolls back an inch or so. That isn't cool, but I'm use to it now.

NO COMPLAINTS !! She's perrrrrrrfffffffffeccctt !!

·
Registered
416 Posts
The MO's CVT uses a smaller torque converter than a normal automatic trans....at idle, it provides less forward motion so it does tend to allow the vehicle to roll back more on an incline....a hand operated e-brake would be nice...

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I noticed the rollback too on an incline. Made me wonder if someone behind me would think I was driving a manual tranny.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Gonzo said:
I noticed the rollback too on an incline. Made me wonder if someone behind me would think I was driving a manual tranny.
I see it as no big deal, excpet if I stop at a light on a hill,,,, and then take my foot off the break to go over to the gas to slowely and roll back a little... hopefully the car behind me is not on my :moon:

(4 more posts... until 200... and retirement).

·
Registered
470 Posts
Gonzo said:
The car needs some type of hill holder like Subaru use to have. My Passat does not roll back at all on an incline and my Toyota Previa moves a little but the Murano moves back as soon as you release the brake. I wish the car has a hand parking brake which would help. I guess holding the brake with the left foot is a solution but it shouldn't be necessary.

·
4,601 Posts
Interesting, I've never had a problem with it, in the 27 months of driving, so far... But I do remember getting used to the braking effect from the CVT and quite liking it!

·
Registered
470 Posts
jaak said:
Interesting, I've never had a problem with it, in the 27 months of driving, so far... But I do remember getting used to the braking effect from the CVT and quite liking it!
I like the braking effect from the CVT also. Just wish the transmission could hold the car from rolling backward on an incline a little better. Maybe if the engine idle rpm's were a little higher it would hold better as it does if you give the car a little gas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts