Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks, none of us want to have to find out about our MO's safety capabilities the way I did yesterday morning, but, here's my testimony to its safety. I was stopped at a traffic light on a busy State Route near my house, 8:30AMish, and the light turned green. As I pulled out to go across the separated highway, to Dunkin' Donuts, for my morning java injection, some moron, ran the red light, and broadsided my MO. Curtain airbags deploy, driver's window shatters, the MO takes one for her Big Daddy...right on the left front wheel. I emerge fine, no whiplash (its the next morning, so I can say I'm fine...no pain at all), and a few safety glass cuts and few bruises. Now, I'm not sure how the damn government side-impact tests work...but, they must suck, because the MO should have 10 stars. The other guy's car, a Chrysler Sebring...totalled. He was taken to the hospital...my wife came and took me home. Nuff said!

The MO is simply the best engineered car I've ever owned. Beautiful, comfortable, and safe. Saved my life yesterday. I don't think its totalled, but I want her back in action...ready to save me again...and maybe, next time, my family too!

Regards,

Big

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm real glad you are OK! Thanks for coming in and letting us know how well the Murano's safety features worked, that adds a lot to my peace of mind.

Once again, glad your OK and hope you get it back soon or they get ya a brand new one.

Rick

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Glad to hear you are alright, and sorry to hear you had to find out about Mo's safety in this way. They should just haul the other driver to jail and keep him/her there...

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Glad to hear you came out alright.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
big_daddy_mpd said:

The MO is simply the best engineered car I've ever owned. Beautiful, comfortable, and safe. Saved my life yesterday. I don't think its totalled, but I want her back in action...ready to save me again...and maybe, next time, my family too!

Big
That's good news on several levels! Let's hope there is no next time!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
big_daddy_mpd-

Were you finally able to get your Dunkin Donut fix?

It is good to see that the MO did it's job and adequately protected you. It's nice to have a sharp looking car, but looks aren't worth squat if the car cannot protect you during an accident. The MO has proved time and again that it is a safe car and has gotten high praise for protecting several other forum members. Just ask enforcer, his car was hit so hard it flipped over onto it's roof, yet although the front quarter was destroyed, the passenger compartment remained intact and he walked away.

I am glad to hear you walked away with only a bruise or two.

Was the other driver cited for running the light? Careless driving? Being stupid?

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
OK OK you are OK... glad to hear it... what about the MO... what is going to happen to the MO.

Geesh lets stay focused people!

Seriously, glad that you are OK too bad about the other driver. We have all run red lights at one point in our life. It could have been anyone.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Gonzo said:
too bad about the other driver.
Too bad about the other driver?!! You're kidding right? How can you feel any sympathy for the other driver? His stupidity and total disregard for a basic traffic signal put the lives of other people at risk. What if he had hit a motorcyclist instead of a MO? What if there were children in the crosswalk? What if he seriously injured or killed someone? What if he seriously injured or killed someone you love? There is no acceptable excuse for running a red light.

The average morning commute is something like 30 minutes. Running a red light saves you what? 30 seconds? Is it really worth it?

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I think a lot of assumptions are made about red light runners - i.e. disrespectful, irresponsible, ignorant - granted this maybe true 99.9% of the time, one cannot assume it applies in all cases. I admit I've never run a solid red light, but I have gone through yellow lights where it turned red before I was all the way through. I also admit that the situations were usually pretty dumb - such as I didn't want to slam on my brakes and have my cup of coffee spill all over the interior. And I'm sure everyone has run a stop sign every now and then, because they simply forgot it was there.

I think all Gonzo is saying is that for whatever reason the other driver ran the red light (whether it was ignorance, or a life or death situation to get somewhere important or a medical condition) the point of this thread was to point out the Murano is a pretty safe vehicle, and that is something we all can agree on. :4:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the Well Wishes

Folks,

Thanks for the concern...and yet, the most frustrating thing, is that the officer on the scene was an Ohio State Trooper, who gave me the "initial" accident report, and then, went "OFF DUTY" until this coming Thursday. The "offender" went to the hospital, and was released, and, no, I have no idea why he ran the red light. I wasn't really in the "mood" to deal with him directly, I assumed the "authorities" would do so...but I have no insurance information, no phone number for this individual, nothing...until this Trooper finishes his investigation...meanwhile, I call my insurance agent, who says he might as well file the claim under my insurance, who can go after this guy, once they get the accident report.

As to what happens to the MO...this process is PAINFULLY slow. First of all, I have to get the accident report, then, contact the insurance company, get a claims adjuster assigned, get them to come out and look at my vehicle, determine the "cost" to repair, determine whether or not to "total" the vechicle...so, I figure I'll be "out" of a vechicle, for, minimum a month. On top of all of that...even if they "replace" my MO...I can't get Copper Sunburst in a 2006!!!!

This process really is messed up, especially if the person at-fault, is taken to the hospital, and the Trooper is not back on duty for 4 days. Hurry up and wait, isn't that way of government?

Regards,

Big

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hang in there dude!

Glad to hear you made it through this OK and also good to hear that you still love the Mo. Be sure to keep us informed of the cars fate.

Thanks for sharing!
njmo

·
Registered
19 Posts
big_daddy_mpd said:
Well folks, none of us want to have to find out about our MO's safety capabilities the way I did yesterday morning, but, here's my testimony to its safety. I was stopped at a traffic light on a busy State Route near my house, 8:30AMish, and the light turned green. As I pulled out to go across the separated highway, to Dunkin' Donuts, for my morning java injection, some moron, ran the red light, and broadsided my MO. Curtain airbags deploy, driver's window shatters, the MO takes one for her Big Daddy...right on the left front wheel. I emerge fine, no whiplash (its the next morning, so I can say I'm fine...no pain at all), and a few safety glass cuts and few bruises. Now, I'm not sure how the damn government side-impact tests work...but, they must suck, because the MO should have 10 stars. The other guy's car, a Chrysler Sebring...totalled. He was taken to the hospital...my wife came and took me home. Nuff said!

Regards,

Big
Wow, nearly the same thing happened to me in my old 2001 Nissan Pathfinder. I had an idiot who was lost and from out of the country who wasn't paying attention to the road run a red light and hit me at full speed (~40mph) right on the driver's side wheel well of the vehicle. His early model Mercedes Benz was completely totalled and my Pathy was also totalled, but only because the insurance said it would cost more to fix than it's value. I've seen cars in much worse shape that weren't declared total losses. I walked away fine myself. Something I guess must be said for Nissan SUV safety.

P.S. I miss my Pathy but I love my Mo! It's my silver lining out of that situation.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
720 spin to a stop

Just talked to my neighbor who saw the whole thing...he said my Murano spun twice (that's 720) before stopping. I walked away a bit dazed, and with a few minor cuts and bruises. Thanks God for the gift of a good car!

He said he didn't expect to see me "walk" out of my vehicle like I did.

Regards,

Michael

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
It's great to hear you were not hurt.
Good luck on the rest!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Big Daddy-

720 degrees!!?! Your opening post made the the accident sound pretty violent, but I didn't realize it was that violent! You really are lucky.

High praise to the structural and safety engineers at Nissan.

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
njjoe said:

Too bad about the other driver?!! You're kidding right? -njjoe

Of course he got hurt pretty bad. I feel bad if anyone gets hurts.

As I had said we all have violated traffic laws.... I'm sure you drive over the speed limit, you change lanes with using your signal sometimes, perhaps you never came to a complete stop at a sop sign.

I'm glad the MO is a safe vechicle. I'm glad that no one got killed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Picture of the fallen soldier

Folks,

My MO is totalled...I can't believe it...it doesn't look that bad, but, as you can see from the picture, it is the front panel/wheel that was hit, HARD, as the body guy said...and the engine, CVT, whole front end, not to mention, the unibody, is unfixable. So...it gave its life, for mine.

Now I've got a HUGE problem...I LOVE Sunlit Copper, and don't know what to get to replace it. Chardonnay? Merlot? I'm partial to Reds...they are so much more complex, but...this one looks like it would show dirt so much more. I'm trying to figure out how "gold" the Chardonnay actually is. Any suggestions?

I have changed the picture to make the thread more readible.
Kris

Attachments

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Re: Picture of the fallen soldier

big_daddy_mpd said:
Now I've got a HUGE problem...I LOVE Sunlit Copper, and don't know what to get to replace it. Chardonnay? Merlot? I'm partial to Reds...they are so much more complex, but...this one looks like it would show dirt so much more. I'm trying to figure out how "gold" the Chardonnay actually is. Any suggestions?
BDM-

Any suggestions? Yeah, take a ride to the dealer and see which color really does it for you. However, if you are still dead-set on the Sunlit Copper you can always try to import it. Sunlit Copper is still available in the European and Middle Eastern Markets.

Your crash photo did not post that well. Is it feasible to resize it and repost it?

-njjoe

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm expecting an 06 Merlot in a couple of weeks, and I really like that color. If you're partial to reds, though, you might want to take a look at the Sunset Red color that was introduced with the 06 model. That looks really sharp, too!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts