Nissan Murano Forum banner

MO & Snow - Looking for Opinions!!!

4K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  MightyMo 
#1 ·
Hello All!!!!!!!!!

I am brand new to the forum.....and I am thinking very much about purchasing a new 2004 MO!!

Now, I say thinking because I am currently driving an '02 Explorer. The Explorer was my first SUV and I absolutely loved it all around. Good for hauling, loading up at Home Depot and I have to say pretty awesome in the snow!!

With the independent rear suspension....the ride quality was pretty decent also! I live on Long Island but travel everyday into NYC and Brooklyn for work (construction).

I never had a problem in the snow with my Explorer. It had the automatic 4x4 or push button 4x4. I usually left it in automatic except when flying home on the LIE during snowstorms. Which then I put it in 4x4 high. It really made the truck feel totally stable!!! I actually love my Explorer but gas prices are just too high these days and I am looking for something a little different!!

But I worry alot about the AWD capabilities of the MO based on the millions of posts I have been reading all over the net and on this forum.

Can anyone attest to the performance of the MO in the snow and how stable it feels.

I am looking to purchase an '04 SE fully loaded except NAV...already have aftermarket system to put into new vehicle. And I drove a friends SL for about a week...and I loved the attention and the MO overall!!! Any suggestions???

Sorry for the novel.....just want to make my point!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum!

I came to the Mo from a Land Rover discovery, arguably one of the best off-roaders in existence.

Although I miss the incredibly high seating position in the Discovery, I wouldn't get another in a million years.

I thought when the snow came I would get a little better than sedan handling in the MO, but I was very very impressed. With AWD, VDC and traction control, the car never got out of shape and was very pleasant and confidence inspiring to drive.

I didn't attempt to blaze through huge piles of snow like in the Disco, but thats not what the mo is meant for.

If the Mo's handling in the snow is all that's holding you back, then I say go for it.

I had a '97 Explorer before the Land Rover, and that POS couldn't come close to either car in any condtions.

My company still has the Explorer and the Landrover, and both feel like Hippos wallowing in mud to drive after the MO.

#3 ·
Simple Formula;

MO + Snow = Go

I just drove my MO through one of the crappiest winters in recent history. I never had an issue or any doubt it would carry me anywhere. Most weekends I would head "to the mountains" for skiing. My driveway there is unplowed and the MO just ran up it without any hiccup whatsoever. Sometimes the snow there would be deeeep! As Cobra said, she's not an offroader, but paved roads and snow were no problem for me. When the first meaningful snow hit, I just had to take her for an AWD test drive. I tried to get her stuck on some of the slickest, steepest hills I could find. She handled like a trooper.

I just came back from a getaway golf weekend. I carpooled with my buddy in his 2001 Explorer. Not for nuttin, but that car doesn't even come close to the ride and quality of the Murano. It was a truck with a CD player. Plus his mileage is in the 12-14 range with an underpowered V8.

#4 ·
and from the other end of PA, much the same story... just without the "mountain house" :) But seriously, I've had the car for about 15 months now and went through a wicked winter. Its actually quite ironic. We had a freak snowstorm President's Day weekend 2003. I couldn't get my 2WD Xterra out of the snow for **3 days**. But we managed to get my wife's Sonata out in 20 minutes. Right then and there I knew I was getting 4WD or AWD next.

Picked up the Mo the next weekend, thinking I wouldn't know about its snow performance until the following winter. The third day I had it, we had about 4 inches of snow and 2 inches of ice. I had to drive 77 miles up the NJ Turnpike. Seriously, I was cutting my own lane. It was like some freaky movie as I was laughing each time I passed cars and SUVs spun around backwards and off the side of the road.

Then during this past winter, I had a chance to play in the snow with half a year under my belt. I was amazed at how you just hit the gas and point the steering wheel where you want to go, and it goes. To borrow a line from "Wild at Heart" with Nicholas Cage and Laura Dern:

"Stab it and steer."

So true, so true.

#5 ·
The AWD system on the MO is great in the snow...it handles as well as any 4 wheel drive I've owned...the stock Goodyear tires are adequate, but to maximize snow capability, you will need new tires, either a highly rated in snow all season, or a dedicated mud and snow tire...snow tire availability for the MO size was a big problem last winter...hopefully tire selection will improve this winter...

#6 ·
senza said:
The AWD system on the MO is great in the snow...it handles as well as any 4 wheel drive I've owned...the stock Goodyear tires are adequate, but to maximize snow capability, you will need new tires, either a highly rated in snow all season, or a dedicated mud and snow tire...snow tire availability for the MO size was a big problem last winter...hopefully tire selection will improve this winter...
I suspect this will be especially true for those with ~15-20,000 miles on their stock Goodyears when the snow next flies.

It's been my experience that the stock all season (read compromise ride, noise, tread life, and handling) tires on most new vehicles (and Nissan's in particular) deterioriate significantly in regards to their snow performance the second and God fgorbid, third winter. (95 Maxima GLE with GoodYear Eagles, and 00 Maxima SE with Bridgestone Potenza's both were good the first winter, not so good after).

I plan set of dedicated snows on an extra set of rims to get me around here in Wisconsin winters. I should point out that I'm also pretty risk adverse when it comes to driving to work, as I'm in an industry where if I don't get to work, I don't get paid, and not getting paid just isn't an option.

I've always bought a second set of rims and dedicated snows for each vehicle since it just makes a lot of sense, especially when you consider the economic cost of any accident today and the savings you gain in tire and wheel life by alternatings sets periodically.

The really big gain (IMO) however is in the confidence that a dedicated set of snows gives you when your out driving in the worst stuff imaginable and you know that your under control at all times, regardless of the idiots around you on their all seasons or worse.

#8 ·
I've tackled snow 3 times in my Mo so far. I can't really compare against any other cars/trucks, I've never driven in snow before, but the Mo seemed reasonably capable. I would like to have tires that give some better traction and an LSD to make it harder to get stuck, but oh well, can't have everything.

First time was on my trip to Death Valley:
"The snow cover quickly developed to a solid 1-2 inches of white covering every inch of the twisting and very steep switchbacks leading up Hunter Mountain. This was my first time driving on any appreciable amount of snow, and the experience was...er...interesting. Basically the car had zero lateral traction, so to direct it I applied thrust in a angle to alter the prevailing direction of motion, turning the steering wheel by it's self without any throttle did very little at all. Kinda how I would imagine flying a space craft is, applying thrust on certain vectors to turn and move since there is nothing to have any traction/friction against. Oh, and of course, NEVER stop. The Mo may have a lockable AWD, but with no LSDs front or rear all you need is two wheels spinning to get frightfully stuck. I hope Quaiffe or somebody comes out with an LSD for the front of the Altima/Murano platform, that would be one upgrade I would gladly pay $1-2K for.

At the very top of the pass on Hunter Mountain things got a little sticky, some deep ruts in the mud under the snow had developed in places with icy slush, and also were deep enough that I cleaned off the center muffler on the Mo a couple times, and often I couldn't get out of the ruts because the brush had grown so close to the edge of the road that there was no room off the center unless I wanted a nice set of scratches down the Mo's pristine silver flank. Certainly exciting, but all's well that ends well, and we came down off the mountain on to the snow-free western slopes of the Panamint valley in time to snap some pictures of the sunset."

Second time was in Zion National Park in Utah:

"That above picture is as far as we went. This bare 3-4 inches of fresh snow my lovely assistant is so effortlessly and effectively showing off was enough to keep the Murano from moving forward any further without rocking it. Remember, even with the center diff locked, there are fully open front and rear diffs so all it takes is two wheels spinning and you go nowhere. So we could have pushed on some, but without a shovel and being around 5 in the afternoon with twilight starting to descend on us we decided a u-turn was in order."

"In some portions of this snowy trail the white stuff was rather deep, but with existing wheel ruts we were able to power through just fine, though we were very amused to find the CVT cooling duct well packed with snow. We did get stuck briefly in that deeper section, but some careful back and forth and Sandra guiding me precisely in the wheel ruts from outside the Mo we were able to extract our selves without much ado."

And the thrid time was again in Utah when a snow storm gave me a couple inches of fresh stuff to drive on for an hour or so between Bryce Canyon & Capitol Reef National Parks, no worries at all: "Since our handy dandy Road Master 2004 United States Road Atlas is not very topographical we had no idea that 12 would rise back up to the 8 to 10 thousand foot range before reaching Capitol Reef. So sure enough while heading up some switch backs the outside temp gauge on the Murano got lower and lower until the sound of the driving rain on the windows suddenly stopped and it was huge white flakes. The snow continued for a good hour, coating the road with up 1-2 inches of snow, but once again the Mo handled it with aplomb."

#11 ·
THANKS EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!

Hi guys, thank you to all who have helped me out with my dilemma!!

Specifically...thank you to:

Malaycobra
MVTCFP
EasternPA
Senza
dklanecky1
ekaxel
MightyMo
Senza (again haha)
jaak

You all made my decision much much easier for me!! Basically, you have all finally sold me on the MO. I am off from work today and am going right now to the dealership to purchase my MO.

I will be getting a fully loaded Silver SE (I like the idea of the six speed and the sportier suspension).

I will post my experience at the dealership when I get back today!!

Again, many many thanks to all of you for your help!!!

Harris

#12 ·
Re: THANKS EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!

Harris said:
I will be getting a fully loaded Silver SE (I like the idea of the six speed and the sportier suspension).
Unless things have changed, you're not getting a 6-speed. You'll still have a CVT, but you will have the ability to force the CVT to change its "torquiness". With the SL we have a regular mode and a sport mode. You will be able to choose among various modes, but you will not literally be getting 6 speeds.

Just making sure you're clear (and for myself, making sure things haven't changed in the U.S.)..

#13 ·
Which is exactly why I got a 2003 SE, I prefer Ds and L over that silly synthetic 6-speed system...

Good choice on color Harris! :2:

#15 ·
Re: Re: THANKS EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!

EasternPA said:

Unless things have changed, you're not getting a 6-speed. You'll still have a CVT, but you will have the ability to force the CVT to change its "torquiness". With the SL we have a regular made and a sport mode. You will be able to choose among various modes, but you will not literally be getting 6 speeds.

Just making sure you're clear (and for myself, making sure things haven't changed in the U.S.)..
2004 SE models (at least in the US) have the "manual-mode" type transmission, where it let's you set the "gear ratios" of the CVT into 6 different settings. So it emulates a 6-speed manual transmission. The SE models have this instead of the Ds and Dl modes of the SL.

Just to clarify. That's what Harris originally meant by his post.

~ Corin

#16 ·
Re: Re: Re: THANKS EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!

Corin said:

2004 SE models (at least in the US) have the "manual-mode" type transmission, where it let's you set the "gear ratios" of the CVT into 6 different settings. So it emulates a 6-speed manual transmission. The SE models have this instead of the Ds and Dl modes of the SL.

Just to clarify. That's what Harris originally meant by his post.

~ Corin
That's what I thought, but MightyMo said he likes his Ds and Dl modes on his SE (same as my SL). I was just making sure that Harris realizes he's getting an "emulated" 6-speed with the SE, but now it appears even that is an option on the SE.

#17 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: THANKS EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!

EasternPA said:

That's what I thought, but MightyMo said he likes his Ds and Dl modes on his SE (same as my SL). I was just making sure that Harris realizes he's getting an "emulated" 6-speed with the SE, but now it appears even that is an option on the SE.
I think MightyMo was confused... Read the post carefully.

MightyMo, can you please clarify?

Also, the 2003 SE models did NOT have the manual-mode. They had the Ds and Dl just like the SL model did. The manual-mode was new for 2004, and was on all 2004 SE models (and no SL models).

~ Corin

#18 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: THANKS EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!

Corin said:

I think MightyMo was confused... Read the post carefully.
Aw crap. Sorry for the spam. I'm an idiot. MightyMo was saying that he got a 2003 SE rather than a 2004 SE because he did not want the manual-mode. His choice was over the year, not the model. Obviously wanted the sport suspension with the Ds and Dl modes, which made the 2003 SE the only option.

Sorry! :rolleyes:

#19 ·
Clarification!!!!

Hi guys!!! Yep I realize how what I typed could have been misunderstood!!!

I fully realize that the six-speed is a manu-matic type..not a true six speed!!!

I could only wish for a true six speed.....imagine an "SUV" with a six speed!!! That might be kinda cool!!!

I know I loved my '93FBird with the LT-1 motor matched up to a six speed!!!! That car was crazy fast and lots of fun to drive....granted it was an american piece of crap......but horsepower usually makes up for any inherent weaknesses!!!! LOL

The only reason I am going for the 2004 SE is because I do alot of driving and get into lots of turns and traffic situations......so it might be more fun to zip in between cars and have more control around long sweeping turns with the manu-matic six speed!!!! Just my opinion!!!

But let me just say this I have had a few problems with a particular dealership I am currently dealing with!! Honestly....I am dealing with 2 different dealerships ( I will post the names when I actually get to the bottom of who is lying and who is telling the truth)!!!!

I first dealt with a dealership in the NY Metro area who gave me a phenomenal deal (I feel anyway) on an '04 fully loaded SL (w/o nav)......quoted me $389.00/mo on a 42 month lease with $4000 out of pocket.

Now, I just discovered that a very very good friend of mine has a father who owns a Nissan dealership on Long Island. I went there to day and although my friend was not there he told me who to see and tell them to take care of me!!! It turned out that their price was about $70 more on a lease than the dealership that didn't know me from a whole in the wall!!! Gee.......is that what yo call getting taken care of???? At least they should have tried a little lubrication before they tried to take care of me!!!

When I told them what the other dealership quoted me......they gave me the song and dance about how the other dealership is known for being con artists and once I get to sign the dotted line that I will see who is being truthful and who sucks!!!!

So the saga continues........I will keep you all informed....and I will give names of dealerships when this concludes!!!

And I know that I said I am going for the SE.....getting the price on the SL.......its all relative!!!!

To be continued!!

Harris

#20 ·
I use(d) Koeppel Nissan in Queens. The buying experience was ok (It's a company lease so I wasn't watching the pennies too closely!) I have been VERY disappointed with their attitude, performance and ability as far as repairs/maintenance go. The repairs to my my car after the semi legendary headlight-ectomy are still not 100% complete. The last effort required 5 days in the shop for painting and they never actually painted it!

I have have no good reports of any Nissan or Infinity dealer in queens or long island so far. One guy I know almost got into a fist fight with an infinity salesman after an especially rude comment was passed!

Despite this, I would buy Nissan again. The car is good enough to make up for the dealer experience.

Good luck with yours!

#21 ·
HwnMurano said:
Very nice pics guys!

I'll never get to drive my MO through snow (maybe a sandy beach one of these days), so I really enjoyed looking at your posted photos.
Here's another in the "white sands of Canada"...

I think it's the coolest thing in the playground!

Attachments

#22 ·
Yup, Corin wins, I was talking about choosing the 2003 SE intentionally to get the Ds and L and therefore avoiding the 2004. I can't see any way the 6-speed would provide any performance benefit what so ever, it just makes people who aren't used to CVTs feel better and allows Nissan to mark the "6-speed" check box to make it look good in comparison to other vehicles in that catagory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.