Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All;

So I am hours away from committing to an 04 SE (after a couple of months of negotiations I might add) when my wife comes home from a friend of hers holding this review saying that the MO is a "Not Recommended" vehicle due to a steering defect?

I checked in the Canadian Vehicle Recalls .... nothing.

Has anyone had/heard of this?

Thanks
M

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've read that it's something with the power steering pump/piping. When driving at very slow speeds and turning the wheel to either extreme, it can become sluggish and stiff. I myself have never experienced it in my 04 SL, and reading about it before purchasing didn't stop me. There are many threads about this...just do a search :) Good luck with the MO.

·
Registered
170 Posts
yep, this is covered in other threads. I bought my MO anyway, after considering 4runner, Explorer, Pilot, Highlander, etc.

I've expereinced it, but it hasn't been a problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You can see for yourself

Take a test drive and take the car to a parking lot that's not crowded, accelerate slowly from a stop, turn the wheel quickly all the way left or right, then quickly all the way the other way, you'll feel the power assist go out before you complete the second turn. I had it happen in all the '04 muranos I test drove, but bought it anyway because, while it's not optimal, I think it's bearable if you know what to expect (and it won't happen very often in everyday driving)

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The steering problem is present, to my knowledge, on all Muranos built (including 2004 models). That said, even though I find it mildly annoying, it is not a big enough issue for me to have any reservations choosing the Murano.

The problem surfaces most often when you cut to the next lane suddenly to get around a car in your lane. The rapid spinning of the steering wheel is too much for the steering pump and low idle speed to handle, so you lose power assist boost momentarily.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I was going up the street the other day at 5:45 am and suddenly rounding a curve there was a large pile of tree debris in front of me, at about 47 mph. There was def no time to brake so I hopped over to the other lane, maximum steering wheel turnage occured--I felt no problem.
I think the problem is experianced at low speeds which in some extremely rare circumstances could cause a wreck. As you can see from my emergency maneuver experiance, in most real world sudden lane changes at speed, it is not a problem.
Or at least that's my take....
:)

·
Registered
792 Posts
I've never experienced it either and have done a few 'save my a$$' moves. You can do a search for it here - I believe someone did experience it - once :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have also had to make some pretty quick avoidance maneuvers and have not felt it but the odd time when I am parallel parking it pops up. I think you pretty much have to be going lock to lock pretty quickly while moving very slowly to make it happen. In 99.9% of normal driving you will not experience it.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
It's there and so far, I have been able to recreate it in every MO i tried it on.
Two regular ones that the guys said didn't do it and 2 new 04's on the dealer lot with the SM in the car/ I was going to do the 3rd, but the SM said never mind.

I think it has cost Nissan some sales since it is Consumer Reports that doesn't recommend it*. And a LOT of people use CR.
Therefore it is just stupid that Nissan is moving so slowly on this.
I have heard, but don't "know" that on the CR web site they now say that Nissan has promised a fix on the 05s.

It is NOT a safety issue IMHO.
But it is an IQ test for Nissan/ They failed.

Homer

*Let's be perfectly clear here.
CR does not give out "Not Recommended" ratings.
What they do do, is "recommend" SOME models.
The Murano, even tho it completely blew away the competition, did not get the recommended rating because of THIS issue.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I cannot duplicate this 'problem' in my '04 SL under any of the described circumstances. it's a fine vehicle, fun to drive.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
FSTRNU, I hit the panic button when I saw the words steering defect in that review. We have beaten this to death a few months back in previous threads as was mentioned above.
I have never experienced this but also have not found myself in any lock to lock steering manuvers as you may encounter in a tight paralell parking situation. As Eric mentioned the pump may not keep up with the high demand in that situation.
I would not let that review stop me from buying the MO.
2004/Polished Pewter/SL
Bob1

·
Registered
28 Posts
I experienced this problem the very first time I took a Murano out for a test drive. Our '04 FWD SL exhibits this same problem. In fact, the first time it happened, I thought that the engine died. You don't need to go lock-to-lock to feel the problem. I've felt it on as little as a half turn.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Its there on all 03 and 04 models. The power steering pump is too small to keep up with sudden direction changes in steering at very low engine speeds. I felt it when I was coasting in a parking lot at about 5mph and whipped the wheel from one side to the other. Why did I do that? Just goofin.

This does not appear to be a safety issue (IMHO) since it only occurs at very low engine and vehicle speeds With higher speeds, the engine provides the boost necessary to the power steering pump. Rumor has it that Nissan is planning a fix for 05, but no definitive word. Nor is there any suggestion that Nissan may fix the 03/04's either.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
I saw a mention in the consumers report that this was fixed on the 05's.. ayone know if this is going to be fixed on the 03's and 04's???

·
Registered
844 Posts
Steering problems

I have my Mo for 5 months, wife and I have had no problem with the steering at all. Still in love with my Mo.

·
4,664 Posts
I can force my murano to do the CR identified issue, but only a couple of times in 18 months have I felt it happen in daily driving and I was conciously looking for it. And even then, it just stiffened up a bit, so it wasn't an issue for me.

I agree, it's a good tweak to the design to give it a bit more capacity.

·
Registered
285 Posts
re: MO steering problems

Yap, I noticed this problem to on my MO, and its the only problem on my MO since 9 months of driving.

Just dont press it too hard on accelerate padal when you are turning corners, wait until your car is back on straight mode. If you jam on accelerate padal while you are turning corner, you will not feel immediate acceleration, instead you might lose control when it's coming around to straight mode from sudden burse of power.

I send out email to Nissan company regarding this issue, so far no response. You can too if it concerns you.

Nizmo

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Re: re: MO steering problems

Nizmo said:
Yap, I noticed this problem to on my MO, and its the only problem on my MO since 9 months of driving.

Just dont press it too hard on accelerate padal when you are turning corners, wait until your car is back on straight mode. If you jam on accelerate padal while you are turning corner, you will not feel immediate acceleration, instead you might lose control when it's coming around to straight mode from sudden burse of power.

I send out email to Nissan company regarding this issue, so far no response. You can too if it concerns you.

Nizmo

Nizmo - I think what you are describing is not a steering issue, but rather how the CVT delivers power. Yes, the Murano is rather powerful and being a front driver, its best not to accelerate INTO a turn! Accelerating out of a turn, YES! :cool:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ok, thanks for the clarification. :)

I will becareful when cutting corner, and next week let's see what the Nissan Dealer say about that. Just to ask them since I read so many terrible story regarding this issue.

Nizmo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts